IGNORED

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2013) - Xbox 360 (BC) /PS3

Talvalin

image.thumb.png.a14b7fcd243d0aa15b4a2c69f0db5774.png

For a number of possible reasons, the old thread about this excellent if somewhat hard hack 'n' slash game from the combined minds of Platinum Games and Kojima Productions went missing a while back. This was mildly annoying since I recently finished it and was interested in hearing about the collective opinion of the forum hive mind (I jest) and found no thread. Bah.

I started playing the game when it came out in 2013, completed the prologue, got stuck on the first mini-boss and abandoned the game (I was playing on Normal, and perhaps should have just put it on Easy to get through but pride and all that).

9 years later, I picked up a cheap digital copy (it's backwards compatible on the Xbox and costs a mere £3.79) and finally completed the game (after a whole lot of Codec conversations), before starting all over again on Hard. I plan to play through Hard and Extra Hard in turn rather than using the cheat mode to unlock Revengeance mode as each difficulty will hopefully train me up. I've already managed better ratings in each level on Hard due to understanding the parry system better, but the camera is wonky as fuck in confined areas and I'm still a bit shit with Sundowner. I can never line up the boxes in Blade Mode to take out his shield, which is a bigger problem on the final boss where you have to execute three precise strikes in quick succession in order to take a big chunk off the boss's health bar, otherwise you take a large chunk of concrete and rebar in the face and lose most if not all of your own health.

Anyway, it's unlikely that those of you who played the game in 2013 will remember a great deal about it, but I was interested in hearing people's opinions about the game so have created this thread. At any rate, if no one else posts, I'm just going to use the thread to track my progress in trying to beat all of bosses without taking damage (on Hard or above), get all golds on the VR missions (20 in the base game and then 30 more in the DLC) and get all S ranks on Revengeance difficulty. I may well end up talking to myself for the most part but that's nothing new.

PS Did anyone else listen to all (yes, all 450) of the codec conversations? There was some genuinely interesting information in there, ranging from applications of cyborg technology to discussions on food culture in the various countries you visit through the course of the game

PPS A "recent" news item relating to this game: https://kotaku.com/kinda-famous-metal-gear-ad-removed-from-building-after-1845788060

It is believed that the thread was removed when the OP left the forum, either by deliberate action on the OP's part or an accidental deletion as a result of a missed ownership reassignment following a GDPR request from said former member. Shame really, but it's gone now. :(

I didn't like this at the time, but bought it for peanuts on Xbox Live a few weeks ago with the intention of revisiting it to see if I'd been too harsh.

Simply put, I didn't like the combat system. Raiden was too flashy for a lot of it, you could counter a move and by the time he'd counterattacked you wouldn't actually make contact. There was also annoying gimmick gameplay sections involving poorly handled stealth, hidden encounters that tanked your stage score if you didn't know about them, and the occasional hostage scenario that shouldn't have been in the game at all. 

However, the action direction was excellent (running across missiles, cutting a MGR in half), and the music was pretty good in spots. 

5 hours ago, Talvalin said:

It is believed that the thread was removed when the OP left the forum, either by deliberate action on the OP's part or an accidental deletion as a result of a missed ownership reassignment following a GDPR request from said former member. Shame really, but it's gone now. :(

What a shame. That thread was gold.

5 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I don’t remember these, so they are probably handled the same was as the stealth sections. I.e., just windmill in with your dick out like an absolute savage.

Well, sort of. You have to take out all of the enemies around the civilian without altering them, otherwise they kill the civilian. If it can be done by stealth, I haven't worked out how.

The simplest way is to EM grenade them then run in and batter the fuck out of them. Just don't do what I did with the first civilian, which was to slice him up by accident, or the second where I was standing too close to him and he died due to splash damage from a rocket fired by one of the nearby Sliders. Bastard.

I had been wondering if it's possible to get a high rating in one of the stealth sections by not fighting but I guess not.

I have to admit that I've been experiencing some of the same problems regarding counter-attacks being out of range that @Kayin mentioned, but I guess it's simply because I don't have my parries down properly.

Platinum can be accused of many things (sexism for example in this game - the main female character is a personified manual save system with bonus conversation about food culture and being worried about your physical/mental state) but a janky or unfair combat system is not one of them.

I am still doing a lot of button mashing on Hard but the parries are coming along. I'm on the final boss and once again I've only got a single health pack, although this time around that's how I started the entire level, add opposed to my Normal run where I started with five and burned most of them due to having no clue about the first two phases.

I keep meaning to go back to it, but this is my memory from the time: Sounded great, looked fun, was actually quite annoying play and insanely overrated due to the developer. Not fit to lick Ninja Gaiden’s boots, same as every other Platinum game I’ve played imo. 

Fucking hell. Finished Hard earlier this evening, with the same C rating that I managed for Normal lol. I mean, I must have been doing better to clear a harder difficulty with the same rating but I had been hoping for a B. :(

Anyway, straight into Very Hard and it's a bit of a step up in difficulty isn't it?

The second fight at the very beginning of the prologue mission now includes two Fenrirs (the dog UG enemy) in addition to the RPG cyborgs. However, at this stage you have no sub-weapons, no unique weapons, no executions, no Zandatsu and no offensive dodge. :hmm:

I have a feeling this one is going to be a challenge.

Speaking of the merchandise, I imported the US edition that had the plasma lamp almost 10 years ago and only within the past year made use of the lamp with my new desk...only to find yesterday the plasma/gas suddenly disappeared so only the blue LED's work. There's already a blue only LED switch so they work the same way now! Totally gutted though as I remember paying a shitload for the FedEx tax and the hassle to get it imported as they didn't ship to the UK.

IMG_20220218_160512.jpg

23 minutes ago, Spiceymike said:

Speaking of the merchandise, I imported the US edition that had the plasma lamp almost 10 years ago and only within the past year made use of the lamp with my new desk...only to find yesterday the plasma/gas suddenly disappeared so only the blue LED's work. There's already a blue only LED switch so they work the same way now! Totally gutted though as I remember paying a shitload for the FedEx tax and the hassle to get it imported as they didn't ship to the UK.

IMG_20220218_160512.jpg

That's my copy staying sealed forever then. I also have that lamp and never opened it :doh::lol:

I've never known plasma lamps to go out like that, I'm only guessing the gas has gone, although I'm not sure how that works. The other thing I did originally was I stupidly blew the original US adapter so I've always used one of those adjustable AC/DC adapter things which seemed to be ok. I guess general wear and tear made it go.

I played through this in lockdown. A really fun game but not as accomplished as Bayonetta when it comes to melee combat and generally just not as fun as Vanquish in the '3rd person action game' stakes. 

Having said that, it's still bloody good and I really enjoyed the music and OTT voice acting. 

6 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

I've never known plasma lamps to go out like that, I'm only guessing the gas has gone, although I'm not sure how that works. The other thing I did originally was I stupidly blew the original US adapter so I've always used one of those adjustable AC/DC adapter things which seemed to be ok. I guess general wear and tear made it go.

Someone had the same problem. Maybe this still solves it?

I read through the manual and noticed something worth mentioning. There is a part of the manual that states the temperature of both the lamp and A/C Adapter need to be at ROOM TEMPERATURE. So after I messed around with the lamp more, I came to the conclusion that if your lamp isn't working after it had worked a couple hours prior, or even the day prior, it is because the lamp itself is too cold of a temperature. Once my apartment warmed up, the lamp worked fine. So if yours isn't working, try getting the room it is in a little warmer, because it is winter after all lol.

I enjoyed it up to the last stage of the final boss. Which was a load of QTE bullshit and I gave up and watched the ending on YouTube.

A sharp contrast to the final boss in Sekiro, which felt precise and tightly designed. I wanted to beat that one because it actually felt fair and glorious.

I think I got this through GWG and I also have it in disc. I also seem to have the DLC missions too. I don’t know why I’ve never sat down and played this before, but I stuck it on Easy, cleared mission 00 earlier and was grinning like a complete loon. 

• 2 months later...

Hmm - where's the original thread for this game?  Seems to have vanished. 

Regardless, the excellent Jacob Geller just did a sweet video on this, recommended!  I'm also reinstalling the game as I type, I know what I'm doing tonight.  I at least need to do that intro stage again!! 

5 hours ago, robdood said:

Hmm - where's the original thread for this game?  Seems to have vanished. 

I asked about this a while ago. Seems that the old thread was started by Spainkiller, and he deleted it before he left the forum:

And:

I’m sure I left a substantial post in here. WTF. Meh…

My son is obsessed with the soundtrack, and he wants me to play the game for him although I’m really not so sure I can be arsed going through all of it again. Don’t get me wrong it’s great, however after I’d utterly rinsed it and spent ages clearing everything I felt it became a bit stale (whereas the truly exceptional games in this genre can be played practically forever, and get better the more you evolve your choreography toolkit). Maybe I’ll just let him run through it himself on easy or something.

Describing some of the characters to him has blown his mind. That said I’d rather intro him with something like the first DMC, Viewtiful, or most prob TW101 seeing as he adores Power Rangers. There’s still Transformers: Devastation on my pile of shame, too.

S-ranking Monsoon on Revengeance Mode is still one of the most difficult bosses of the century so far. FromSoft don’t have a single look-in. If I could change anything about this game it’d be to add more bosses, the bosses are the best thing about this game on so many levels and outshine everything else by a staggering degree. They’re probably some of the best video game bosses ever.