IGNORED

Do you keep your old console boxes?

I’m having a clear out of the garage and I think I’ve reached the stage where I no longer want to keep the cardboard boxes for my games consoles. I haven’t kept the consoles themselves inside the boxes for a while anyway - I now use plastic storage boxes for each console and their various controllers etc. So I’m thinking of either chucking them all up in the loft or just getting rid - I’ve already skipped the PS4, 360 and Xbox cardboard.

What do you do with yours?

I like to hold on to them when the consoles are "new" in case there's a problem, but sometimes I have trouble letting go.

I threw out all of my 6th-gen consoles but even then I think most of them were bought as used, unboxed things (I was a broke student.) 7th-gen and onwards: I still have the boxes for my 360, PSP, PS4 and Vita. (Not my DS though...) They're all just on top of wardrobes or in the attic or somewhere else out of the way...

I’ve got all mine.

I only have a couple of machines hooked up at a time, and find it easier to pack what I’m not using away nice and neat, just as they came.

Not sure why I’m so precious about them, as I binned all my game boxes and cases years and years ago and don’t regret it at all. I guess they don’t take up much room all stacked neatly away in a wardrobe.

I always keep boxes for consoles but even when the consoles are in storage, they tend to be kept in plastic crates. It just makes it easier to get to them when I want them. I do like the boxes though - I think the artwork, the bumf you get inside them etc is all part of the context of the console and the market at the time.

If you don't want your boxes you should sell them. There are definitely people who buy replacement boxes for old consoles if they're in good condition.

Yep, I keep mine, I think I have every box except the one for my Mega Drive, which I can hardly be blamed for, being 7 at the time. It helps that my dad is funny about throwing things away, so they all just ended up in their loft waiting for me to rescue them years later.

I have kept most of mine, bought one or two second-hand with boxes but it’s not a deal-breaker if I get it at a decent price.

Travelling home by train from a retro show with an unboxed console is dicey though, and a couple of times I get stuff at my brother’s to pick up later.

4 hours ago, fly53r135 said:

I sold my Dreamcast box on ebay a few years ago.  Ironically it fetched more than the Dreamcast console.

I'd sold it before I realised the box was in the loft 🤦‍♂️

Yup, about to say the boxes are probably worth more than the consoles these days. 

100%, keep the boxes for games and consoles, THAT  is most of the value in a retro console these days.

Snes unboxed with a pack in game, 50 - 70£, snes boxed with pack in game is £100 minimum starting, up to 2 or 300, more if it's mint!

Carts sell, boxed carts sell for lots...

I sold a boxed MK1 Saturn with all the paperwork for 240 quid recently. Unboxed would've been around 100. 

I kept all my boxes from my childhood consoles - game gear, mega drive, mega cd and dreamcast ( my saturn broke during warranty and swapped it for a PS1) but I've also had OCD for as long as I can remember. I can't bring myself to part with them so bit of a double edge sword really 😅

This thread has spurred me on to have a clear out and so as of now the answer is a definite no.

My games room / office has boxes for all sorts. All the latest consoles, Apple products, Analogue Products, Gaming Headsets, Controllers. It's crazy keeping all this stuff. It's going to do me no good whatsoever other than perhaps make a few pounds extra if I ever sell it. Life's too short for that kind of thinking and I'd rather have it all gone. The less 'stuff' in my life the better.

I used to keep them but I never actually sell anything on. I buy to play so I'm quite happy to get rid of boxes now. Half the stuff I got second hand anyway without the box to save a few quid.

I got loads of game and movie cases I should bin as well. I keep them all in folders anyway to save space.

I don’t sell much on, but I keep the boxes, it’s part of the item and often the box designs are nice too. If you then do later sell it on, usually it’s worth more and it’ll protect the console in shipping (Though hopefully it doesn’t come to that!)

All that said, my attic is a bit rammed with game stuff…

• 1 month later...

No, don't have the room. Generally keep it as long as the warranty period, that pretty much goes for everything.

Having said that, I genuinely don't recall what happened to my Megadrive - I think I sold it to emigrate? Irony is that the box turned up years later in my mum's attic, which she found during a clean out. Pristine, got the MD the year it launched.