Jump to content
IGNORED

Need PS5Pro/XSXX. Underpowered consoles. Raytracing


Meat
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Majora said:

PS5 and Series X ended up being more powerful than most people predicted. Many didn't even think RT would be possible at all and if you had told most people we'd be getting 10-12 TF machines at £450 with SSDs as standard before the reveals they'd have absolutely bitten your hands off. For the price these are extremely capable machines.

This. A million times this. Beforehand I feared we would be saddled with potato hardware again like in the Bone/PS4 gen. The current gen is crazy powerful compared to anything anyone could have realistically hoped for. Some people are just never pleased, but this generation turned out to be the best case scenario* and then some.

 

*Well apart from the actual looks of the PS5 lolololol, but whatever - you're looking at the incredible graphics on the telly not the ugly console that the tv is standing on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

RE: whenever the PS5 gets a redesign. It was my (limited) understanding that the PS5 is as vast as it is to prevent it from overheating. This means unless a redesign has some bonkers water cooled nonsense in it it's not going to change in size, right?

 

Not necessarily, the Xbox one got a lot smaller than the VCR model for a few reasons but in part the original design was probably being extremely cautious due to RROD on the 360.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd predict no "Pro" model this generation, at least certainly from Sony who it looks like with stick to the generation game, Microsoft might do something more disruptive but who knows. 

I absolutely think the motivation for the PlayStation 4 Pro was to get some kind of 4K output out of the machine, so it would look great on the Sony 4K TV's that they also want to sell. This caught Xbox unaware, and it took them a whole year to get their equivalent out of the door (a machine that was only in production for 3 years which is something no one ever really mentions). I'm not sure that Microsoft would have made the Xbox One X if Sony had not made the PS4 Pro, and it did give MS the opportunity to show it's intent on creating a more powerful console again, that it was still in the game. 

 

I think it was all a weird anomaly that came about by the uptake of 4K TV's and I'm not sure we'll see that again this time. 

I also do regret to a degree buying a PS4 Pro and using it with a 1080p TV. It was a bit pointless and I do have an admiration for static platforms and seeing what the dev's can push out of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

RE: whenever the PS5 gets a redesign. It was my (limited) understanding that the PS5 is as vast as it is to prevent it from overheating. This means unless a redesign has some bonkers water cooled nonsense in it it's not going to change in size, right?

It should be possible, right. I mean compared to the PS5 the XSX is smaller, more compact, quieter, and in terms of raw horsepower a tad more powerful too. So I really don't understand all the people claiming it absolutely HAS to be that size and shape because it's so powerful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is it about that TERF-Simulator Robot 2000 game which brings out the most thirsty of takes? Remember at the time graphics tarts were telling us all how beautiful it was on their £3000 room heaters whilst ignoring the fact that cars had human torsos and that you could complete it with one button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It should be possible, right. I mean compared to the PS5 the XSX is smaller, more compact, quieter, and in terms of raw horsepower a tad more powerful too. So I really don't understand all the people claiming it absolutely HAS to be that size and shape because it's so powerful. 

 

MS has alot more experience with the hardware in a smaller footprint thanks to the surface team. It was the reason the One X was so small yet incredibly powerful. 

 

Not sure Sony has the same capabilities but who knows! I love the way my PS5 looks, but it's standing vertically. I hate it horizontally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just feel it's another round of what's been the case since the PS3/360. Very capable machines that off the bat are pushed beyond their limits. Before the PS5 even came out they were talking about settings for 'quality' or 'performance'. Can we have both on our brand new consoles please? Just aim for 60fps 4K locked and load them up with RAM. Games will look and play great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

 

MS has alot more experience with the hardware in a smaller footprint thanks to the surface team. It was the reason the One X was so small yet incredibly powerful. 

 

Not sure Sony has the same capabilities but who knows! I love the way my PS5 looks, but it's standing vertically. I hate it horizontally. 

 

I love the look of my PS5 but I have it horizontal. I hate the look of it vertically :)
The disc-drive version horizontally, looks like a giant space-clam with a loose "X"-design, the crossing over of it's smooth lines. 

I absolutely love the look of the machine.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Just aim for 60fps 4K locked and load them up with RAM. 

 

That's a 1990s way of looking at it. The problem now isn't "how much RAM do you have for textures", but how much graphical compute you have for pre and post processing effects.

 

But comparing £450 consoles with the capabilities of graphics cards that themselves cost a minimum of £450 without anything to plug them into, and which only really manage to hit the 4k/60/RT with AI upscaling when they cost £650 (RRP) / £1500 (Actual Retail Price), is as a premise for the thread, a bit ludicrous during a widespread chip shortage.

 

It's not happening anytime soon, and it doesn't need to happen anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

Having played Ratchet and Clank I couldn't disagree more with the underpowered statement. 

 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

How on earth can anyone say the consoles are underpowered. It's a testament to how comically powerful they are for the price that these things can do ray tracing at all.


Agree that they’re very powerful and thoroughly enjoying them, I mean underpowered relative to some of the games - one of the first games released this gen suffers jarring stuttering when you turn RT on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

I love the look of my PS5 but I have it horizontal. I hate the look of it vertically :)
The disc-drive version horizontally, looks like a giant space-clam with a loose "X"-design, the crossing over of it's smooth lines. 

I absolutely love the look of the machine.  

I’ve warmed to it and I like the colour, it’s also very quiet. Same with Xbox, the build quality is pretty nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’ve warmed to it and I like the colour, it’s also very quiet. Same with Xbox, the build

quality is pretty nice. 

 

Yeah, I really like the look of all the consoles this time round - PS5, XsX, XsS and the OLED Switch! 

All look great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

It's under powered developers not poor hardware.

 

Mario Kart 8 still looks better than most X enhanced or PS5 games, and it's running on an old mobile phone chip with about as much RAM as my oven operating system has.

Agree.... Its a lot to do with that and heavy middleware tooling I expect. Think the Switch uses heavily optimised tooling and well designed/coded games. Not saying that developers on PS5/Xbox are lazy but they have more resources to squander. This is why first gen games rarely push the consoles its only after typically a couple of years or so we see the more impressive games coming though. Anyway 4K doesn't mean a thing a bad game is bad at 4K and a great 720p/1080p game will always be great! :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’ve warmed to it and I like the colour, it’s also very quiet. Same with Xbox, the build

quality is pretty nice. 

Me too. I think the PS5 is a bold design choice - wouldn't say its the prettiest thing I've seen but on par it works really well and the Dual Sense IMHO is the best controller Sony have made so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Not sure Sony has the same capabilities but who knows! I love the way my PS5 looks, but it's standing vertically. I hate it horizontally. 

Well Sony is a hardware company it was/is its core business and where it started from. MS have come on leaps and bounds but took them loosing a shed load of money to improve it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well Sony is a hardware company it was/is its core business and where it started from. MS have come on leaps and bounds but took them loosing a shed load of money to improve it. 

 

I don't disagree, but the technology that keeps the surface running in such confinement is working wonders for them, in all of their systems.

 

I am not sure Sony is as fussed about footprint, and honestly neither am I. It works for me in its current form :)

 

Edit: also agree about the controller. It is incredible. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

 

I don't disagree, but the technology that keeps the surface running in such confinement is working wonders for them, in all of their systems.

 

I am not sure Sony is as fussed about footprint, and honestly neither am I. It works for me in its current form :)

 

 

:) Indeed have a surface here and its a great bit of kit.

 

Think Sony are just being overcautious... I for one would rather have something that will hopefully be more reliable than  not irrespective of design. However on par I still think the Series X is a better designed machine in terms of cooling etc. Sure I was watching a video sometime about some parts of the PS5 running a bit on the hot side (a particular RAM chip IIRC).

 

Anyhow think they are both built better than PS3/360 TBH as those things ran super hot and on par probably the most unreliable consoles ever released (RRoD/YLoD respectively - obviously 360 was a complete disaster!). Well other than the recall on the Japanese Famicom machines... and the oh yeah the CD-Drive on the original Playstation (didn't it have to be tipped upside down as a way of rectifying the fault or something).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Yracing is absolutely glorious and I'm lucky enough to have a PC that can pump it out in high resolutions with great performance but after that initial 'holy shit' factor of the first hour or so I barely notice it, or even turn it off for increased performance*

 

It's the future of graphics right now and will one day be the norm but as for consoles, get everything 60fps locked and go from there.

 

*apart from cyberpunk as that's eyesex

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I think once Unreal engine 5 games start to come out, and the necessity for devs to make their games cross-gen dies out, folks’ tits and balls will really begin to be blown clean off by the new gen consoles. Trust.

Exactly. Compare launch PS4  games to shit like LOU2, God of War and Ghost of Sushi. But like I said, even at launch some of this hardware was punching above expectations. 

 

Even Horizon FW on PS4 looks absolutely fucking nutso.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:


What game is this?


we all know, the game who’s edgelord advertising made shit puns about the genitalia of trans persons, then when called out on it, responded with “did you just assume my gender” jokes and a cock size slider.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mikeyl said:


we all know, the game who’s edgelord advertising made shit puns about the genitalia of trans persons, then when called out on it, responded with “did you just assume my gender” jokes and a cock size slider.  


Cyberpunk.

 

That was the social media guy, who got fired as part of that (though he claimed not to have done that tweet).

 

A couple of shitty tweets from 1 or 2 people who didn’t actually work on the game out of hundreds and hundred of employees doesn’t represent the playable experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t gone that far into the game because I can’t stand the whole thing but the developers are no angels. They make a big deal about choosing your gender but in the most stupid of genitalia options but yet your gender is determined by how deep your voice is and the only depictions of positive trans characters are eroticised sexbots? It ain’t just the social media guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mikeyl said:

What is it about that TERF-Simulator Robot 2000 game which brings out the most thirsty of takes? Remember at the time graphics tarts were telling us all how beautiful it was on their £3000 room heaters whilst ignoring the fact that cars had human torsos and that you could complete it with one button.

 

In the running for the worst post on the forum, surely?

 

VV No just on every level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I haven’t gone that far into the game because I can’t stand the whole thing but the developers are no angels. They make a big deal about choosing your gender but in the most stupid of genitalia options but yet your gender is determined by how deep your voice is and the only depictions of positive trans characters are eroticised sexbots? It ain’t just the social media guy.


The way romances work probably made the more nuanced gender aspects trickier to implement (well not impossible I guess but a lot more work in terms of writing and questing and so on). I don’t know what other games have managed to implement transgenderism beyond a superficial ‘this is your avatar’ level.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Strafe said:


The way romances work probably made the more nuanced gender aspects trickier to implement (well not impossible I guess but a lot more work in terms of writing and questing and so on). I don’t know what other games have managed to implement transgenderism beyond a superficial ‘this is your avatar’ level.

 


In animal crossing, you choose your fruit. That’s it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.