IGNORED

WiiU & 3DS eShop shutting down March 2023

ryodi

Is there a website with all the Wii-U titles listed? The eShop is pretty crappy to navigate. I looked through 6 pages in the “browse all Wii-U games” category and there were about two first party Nintendo titles amongst a load of shovelware and none of the games from my watch list. 

And where can I get £30 of Wii-U eShop credit to buy my watch list titles?

NES remix 1&2

Tengami

Olympia Rising

Yes. You can still redownload Wii games so they aren't going to turn off WiiU/3DS for a long time (if ever).

@acidbearboyIt's much easier to buy through eShop web browser rather than the console. You can easily just pay the actual price via PayPal rather than having leftover from top-up cards.

7 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

You can still redownload Wii games

You can? Have you done it recently? I tried a while back, but it didn’t work - though that’s not to say I didn’t ham-fist it. 

The real games to pick up are the DLC Streetpass titles Nintendo released. Some really cool smaller games that add a lot of mileage to that functionality.

On this note, I would really appreciate if they removed the limitations to how many Play Coins you can obtain in a day, and maximum held. Properly cripples some of those games when Streetpass is all but dead.

40 minutes ago, Popo said:

You can? Have you done it recently? I tried a while back, but it didn’t work - though that’s not to say I didn’t ham-fist it. 

Yes. I did it last year when I bought a WiiU and transferred my virtual console and WiiWare games.

8 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Yes. You can still redownload Wii games so they aren't going to turn off WiiU/3DS for a long time (if ever).

@acidbearboyIt's much easier to buy through eShop web browser rather than the console. You can easily just pay the actual price via PayPal rather than having leftover from top-up cards.

Thanks man.

7 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Yes. I did it last year when I bought a WiiU and transferred my virtual console and WiiWare games.

Did you transfer your Wii content to the Wii-U and then re-download it on the old Wii console?

22 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Thanks man.

Did you transfer your Wii content to the Wii-U and then re-download it on the old Wii console?

No - I downloaded the Wii games onto the WiiU (through the Virtual Wii)

14 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

And where can I get £30 of Wii-U eShop credit to buy my watch list titles?

codes.nintendolife.com

Use the code NLIFE10 for 10% off

16 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Here’s a decent shout for something to buy on the Wii U eShop, Mario Advance 4, which was the GBA version of Mario 3:

The reason it’s worth a cop is that in addition to the Mario 3 stuff, it’s also got 38 original levels that were only playable on GBA if you dicked about with an e-card reader. Since nocunt ever did that, surely, it means the Wii U eShop version effectively unlocked a whole new, hitherto difficult to access, 2D Mario for mostcunts. 

I’m fucking getting it. 

Interestingly thats number one on the WiiU chart. The Rllmuk effect in full force.

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Interestingly thats number one on the WiiU chart. The Rllmuk effect in full force.

I picked it up last year based on another video about overlooked Wii u eshop games. More Mario 3 is always good but I was pleasantly surprised they had added motion controls to Duck Hunt on the Wii U.

I'm currently using a 2DS XL but changing the battery on that in the future is a lot trickier than replacing it in the n3DS XL. I'm contemplating switching back to my old machine before the store shuts down and going through the terrifying system transfer process one last time. 

I popped into CeX today, because all this chat about the 3DS reminded me how I never got one. Am I missing out on any genuine must-play exclusives? Beyond Super Mario 3D Land?

£160 for a New 3DS XL seemed to be the going rate, which a cursory check of eBay suggests is kinda fine. My only worry is that the battery might have been caned. 

Shin Megami Tensei IV is an all-timer. Actually, if you like traditional dungeon-crawlers, it's probably the best system out there (not only because it offers integrated map drawing in a few): the Persona Q series, latest Etrian Odysseys, Strange Journey Redux, Soul Hackers... that, plus full original DS compatibility makes it an incredible proposition for that genre.

Also the latest Phoenix Wright games, though they aren't quite as good as the original trilogy & Apollo Justice.

6 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Have they bought legend of hero Tonma to the UK yet on wii u?  Am sure I had it on my wii but then couldn't purchase on the wii u.

It looks as if it was available but isn’t anymore. I wanted to pick up Mr. Heli and it is g to be same. My assumption was they had removed it due to licensing. Maybe both were listed and never actually available in the UK. I doubt either will be made available now.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/TurboGrafx/Legend-of-Hero-Tonma--277842.html

Actually both are from IREM and I found this.

“Wii U titles delisted in 2019 include:

Battle Chopper / Mr. Heli

Image Fight

Image Fight II

Legend of Hero Tonma

Ninja Spirit

R-Type

Vigilante“

Here was where I found the list

https://delistedgames.com/all-delisted-nintendo-wii-u-games/

On 16/02/2022 at 11:24, Jarik said:

IMO the DS/3DS is a unique case because if watching Retro Dodo on YouTube has taught me anything it's that devices that replicate the form & function of the Gameboy/GBC/GBA are ten a penny, but no-one has tried to do the DS/3DS 2 screen form factor let alone the 3D functionality.  Such a device may exist someday, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have some good news for those worried about the preservation of the 3D elements of 3DS games in the future; news that I only very recently discovered. While I'm more optimistic about there being a clone console in the future than some, there's an alternative today that'll only become more everyday and accessible.

Today's 3DS emulator Citra does 3D in current VR headsets, where you can play 3DS games in HD on your Quest 2, Index et al. So stereoscopic 3D is going to stay as a mass market option and by the time our 3DS's are dying, standalone VR headsets will be wildly ahead of today's and much more accessible/casual/light to pop on. If by some miracle no company tackles the 3DS clone console, we can expect to be able to experience the 3D of Super Mario Land 3D if we really want to. 

Incidentally, playing 3DS games in 3D on a large, hi def virtual screen is transformative and worth the effort for anyone with the setup to do so. 

Have to admit, this news has stopped me from buying a few games I wanted to pick up in the Switch eShop mega-sale... I mean, by the end of this decade the Switch eShop itself will probably be long defunct, and I'd honestly be surprised if the next Nintendo format is fully backwards-compatible with the Switch.

I got Metroid Zero Mission from the WiiU shop after Retro Gamer pointed out how expensive a GBA version was now. Also noticed today the Metroid Prime Trilogy is available too which is pretty pricey for the Wii. Wish the eshop wasn't so awful to navigate and browse for stuff, they could take way more of my money if they sorted it out.