IGNORED

Retro Gamer 230 - Earthworm Jim

memories

IMG_20220215_133016__01.thumb.jpg.36ac8b83ad048d0fe6b3e2672b6e3459.jpg

Another fantastic cover, knocking it out the park these days.

Only had a quick look but contains...

Evolution of Earthworm Jim

Making of Dark Seed

Ultimate guide to Pinball Dreams

History of SSX

And plenty more.

Oh and page 84 will blow your mind.

The Chillout Games ad on the back page is noteworthy partly because of the somewhat random layout, but also because of the mad prices of games. Symphony of the Night - £276? Robocop vs Terminator on the SNES - £105? It's particularly galling because I had a copy of Raiden III on the PS2 (£106), but suspect I may have chucked out the box when moving house.

The issue itself is really good, I particularly enjoyed the Dark Seed feature - I played the Amiga version to death, despite the puzzles being painfully obscure, despite the flickery graphics hurting my eyes, and despite getting no enjoyment from it at all apart than the Giger visuals. I had no idea there was a NES version.

1 hour ago, K said:

The Chillout Games ad on the back page is noteworthy partly because of the somewhat random layout, but also because of the mad prices of games. Symphony of the Night - £276? Robocop vs Terminator on the SNES - £105? It's particularly galling because I had a copy of Raiden III on the PS2 (£106), but suspect I may have chucked out the box when moving house.

The issue itself is really good, I particularly enjoyed the Dark Seed feature - I played the Amiga version to death, despite the puzzles being painfully obscure, despite the flickery graphics hurting my eyes, and despite getting no enjoyment from it at all apart than the Giger visuals. I had no idea there was a NES version.

The Space Adventure one got me. That wasn’t even considered one of the rarer, or particularly good Mega CD titles but the price on it has rocketed.

7 hours ago, memories said:

Another fantastic cover, knocking it out the park these days.

It's an absolute belter. Haven't had a chance to open my copy yet, but I feel I've almost had my money's worth for that alone. (Reminds me I should probably get around to playing Earthworm Jim some day...)

Like many people I have now cancelled my subscription over the PS3 feature. It’s taken me a few days to feel composed enough to even comment on it. When I saw it in the mag I was physically shaking with anger. I’ve never felt so betrayed. What A way to treat your loyal readers, all of whom are pretty much exactly my age.

Yes I’ll miss out on all the other great stuff I’m interested in now I’ve cancelled but you just have to send the mainstream media giants a powerful message. These cancellations will send shockwaves through the company. The likes of @strider, sitting in their ivory towers surrounded by free Analog pockets, kickbacks from Chillout games and fancy clothes are going to get one hell of a shock.

I'm not calling myself a hero for making this stand, that’s for other people to do once it sinks in, but sometimes you just have to stand up for what’s right.

On 15/02/2022 at 20:23, merman said:

Hope people enjoy the new-look homebrew column, and thanks to @strider for his help/encouragement/support and the opportunity to do it.

Well I would have enjoyed it if it wasn't full of CPC stuff. Ain't nobody cares about the CPC ;)

25 minutes ago, strider said:

Or he's cancelled his sub so he can set up a new one in order to get the free C64 Mini.

No way. @deKayis a true believer. He is doing what’s right for the entire retro community. He’s not a mercenary. Shame on you for suggesting it.

He couldn’t play on that C64 Mini knowing it was tainted by the lamestream media shoving modern systems down our throat and pretending they are retro. Rest assured I am taking legal advice to see if the current issue of RG breaches the Trade Descriptions Act this month.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

Well I would have enjoyed it if it wasn't full of CPC stuff. Ain't nobody cares about the CPC ;)

LOL, first column was supposed to cover GB Jam 9 but the delay meant the CPCRetroDev results were out.

The aim is to cover as many formats as we can in turn, 232 for example looks at the CSSCGC 2021 for Spectrum.