Nintendo Switch Sports - Nintendo aiming for the PS2's record.

HarMGM

We just got dominated by the opposition in football, but my team mate golden balled an equalising lob on a rare break that crossed the line just as the clock was hitting zero. The momentum now with us we went all out attack and I ended up heading in a winner in extra time. I initially imagined our opponents faces resembling those of the Man City players last night, but it's such a jovial game they probably stood up and applauded our amazing comeback from their sofas.

In contrast to Tennis which now has me tense and shouting profanities at the screen every match.

This was never going to be anything other than excellent, obviously, but I just played some online with my son and it is GLORIOUS! We played volleyball, and roared into a 4-0 lead against some French players courtesy of the one of them that completely messed up every spike attempt she got. But, a mess up gave them the serve, and let Lilian at the net, who blocked everything and suddenly it was 4-4! We can't lose to the French ... Then, strategy came in to play, and we kept the ball far in order to get Maris back up front. But Lilian was still doing amazing work, and took us to 6-6, which is "Next point wins" territory. I was worried, but a perfect set from my son let me spike it right at Lilian's feet, and we got the win. Brilliant stuff, all the reviews moaning about volleyball have clearly not played with anything other than AL. A skilled player nakes a ton of difference.

Football is also superb. It's Rocket League minus the flying, and that makes it perfect for anyone to get into. But, there is still a decent skill ceiling, and intelligence is rewarded. Yes, you can get stuck with 3 players running around like chickens, but if you have a couple who understand the concept of teamwork it opens up a ton of options. Nothing beats seeing a diving header opportunity open up in front of you and then scoring with it.

I definitely need to find a team for the football. Already got my volleyball partner sorted!

39 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah the football is brilliant. I tend to hang back more now as everyone else seems to just chase the ball - has anyone worked out how to pass?

Yeah, there's a button for it which is shown on the bottom of the screen when you have the ball. It's either ZL or ZR, can't remember which offhand.

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah, there's a button for it which is shown on the bottom of the screen when you have the ball. It's either ZL or ZR, can't remember which offhand.

Yeah I’ve seen it but I’ve never used it.

I keep on hearing really mixed reports on this, with some people calling it the best game ever, and others saying it's massively disappointing.

I never really played Wii Sports, or Wii Sports Resort. I have one pair of JoyCons and one three-and-a-half-year-old. Should I get it?

Edit: I also don't have Switch Online, and I'm not too fussed about getting it.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I keep on hearing really mixed reports on this, with some people calling it the best game ever, and others saying it's massively disappointing.

It's both, but for different reasons. Wii Sports wasn't just a game, it was more. It was something new, and a gateway for the gameophobes. My girlfriend's Dad said "That's the first time I've ever even had a clue what to do in one of those things", which is why it went so big.

This isn't the same lightning. It's more refined, less fresh, and a bit too streamlined. But, it's £30. If you ever have the chance of local play, that's a steal.

I’m in the Pro leagues for bowling now - the real Switch Sports starts here, it’s WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more interesting when you’re playing with randomised obstacles in each lane and people online aren’t (yet) getting a strike every single ball.

The game is getting better and better the more I play it. Really great fun, I’m discovering that tennis has much more nuance to it than I originally thought.

The first time I played volleyball I was given a tutorial, but subsequently not, and of course I’ve forgotten all the motions now. Can I force the game to tell me again? If so, how?

45 minutes ago, Popo said:

The first time I played volleyball I was given a tutorial, but subsequently not, and of course I’ve forgotten all the motions now. Can I force the game to tell me again? If so, how?

If there’s no option for this that’s obvious, create a new profile on your Switch and then play the game. Tutorials a-go-go.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I never really played Wii Sports, or Wii Sports Resort. I have one pair of JoyCons and one three-and-a-half-year-old. Should I get it?

Online is where the game is shining for me. I'd say it's pretty limiting without that option. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

There's tutorials in the options... but only for three sports. I think volleyball is one of them.

18 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Online is where the game is shining for me. I'd say it's pretty limiting without that option. 

Are you playing it solo and competing with others online, though, or are you playing it in local co-op but online as well? I'm only really planning on playing it in local co-op with my family/friends. I suppose the Switch Online sub isn't that expensive if I change my mind, however.

41 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Are you playing it solo and competing with others online, though, or are you playing it in local co-op but online as well? I'm only really planning on playing it in local co-op with my family/friends. I suppose the Switch Online sub isn't that expensive if I change my mind, however.

A little from column A, a little from column B. That said, the highlight for me is definitely solo online Badminton. Online games have mostly been with my 9 year old and they love the Football. 

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It’s brilliant and the first game in a long while I just stick on to play for a few games and end up playing for an hour. 

So far I’ve only played it In multiplayer locally and online, a mixture of both, and it works supremely well. 

You really need two sets of joycons though to get the most out of it IMO because it’s a requirement for the football, and football local co-op online is the best thing ever, as is the bowling. 

Your little one could manage games like tennis and badminton pretty well I would have thought, enough for them to have fun. 

15 hours ago, Stanley said:

football local co-op online is the best thing ever

Thw world needs to be made more aware of this. It's just superb, and I can only imagine what heights it would reach if I could ever get 4-players together. Anyone reading this who hasn't tried it yet, I implore you to find a way!

I’m surprised by the pretty lukewarm reviews, although perhaps I shouldn’t be. Wii Sports was kind of the same with many reviewers and hardcore gamers. 

I wonder how it’s sold? 

32 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Thw world needs to be made more aware of this. It's just superb, and I can only imagine what heights it would reach if I could ever get 4-players together. Anyone reading this who hasn't tried it yet, I implore you to find a way!

I really want them to introduce a 2 vs 2 mode. Seems pretty obvious that this would be the best configuration for co-op online. But please understand, I guess.

Football was the sport I was least interested in pre-release. Indeed, I didn't even bother with it when initially playing the game.

Now, I've tried it - I'm addicted to the online 4 vs 4. So bloody good when you get a team playing together - produces great moments.

Nabbed this Sunday and very addicted to Bowling and Football.

My Kids enjoying playing each other in all the games, but their preference is 3 player bowling.

Eldest can’t wait for football to be patched with leg strap - I don’t know if it will work, but should be fun.

• 5 weeks later...

This is still my go to game at the moment if I have limited time to play. Slightly surprised by how quickly this thread dropped down the forum.

My only real complaint is that the online matchmaking can sometimes take a while. It could do with some way of reporting other players, even if just for their usernames (I've seen a few references to Hitler, along with other names/Miis I wouldn't want my kids seeing).

Can't say I've noticed that, but I mainly play football and bowling where it may be less obvious.

I have lost connection a couple of times during a game, never quite sure if it's an issue on my end or just the game in general.

I get more annoyed by supposed 'A' rank players that refuse to defend and leave the goal wide open. 😡😂

18 hours ago, Squigs said:

Can't say I've noticed that, but I mainly play football and bowling where it may be less obvious.

I have lost connection a couple of times during a game, never quite sure if it's an issue on my end or just the game in general.

I get more annoyed by supposed 'A' rank players that refuse to defend and leave the goal wide open. 😡😂

We get it across all the modes.

You get a few points ahead and they rage-quit. 

We can't go more than a couple of games without encountering a rage quitter.

The only time we get idle "team-mates" is when they just give up rather than try and make a comeback.

We see it a lot in volleyball and badminton. 

• 4 months later...

For anyone who is playing this this weekend - you're not, it's thoroughly broken.  Nintendo has taken servers offline in order to investigate the issue, but you can't even play it offline regardless.

More here.

• 1 month later...