IGNORED

Nintendo Switch Sports - Nintendo aiming for the PS2's record.

HarMGM

I didn't realise I had to register for the play test so only had about 15 mins. Managed to have a quick go at tennis, bowling Royale, and that sword thing. It worked quite well apart from the dreadful joycon drift at the menus! Need to get them sorted. 

Chanbara can sod off. I played twice, 1st time was against what I assume was a bot because they stuck around while I went through the entire tutorial, and I won 2-0. 2nd time was against someone who waited until they blocked me and then smacked me right into KO before I could respond. Strategy noted for moving forwards. This could be awesome split-screen local, but I doubt I'll ever choose to play it online.

Tennis is tennis. Still as great as ever. Played twice, won 1 and lost a close one due to my own errors rather than their skill. Thta's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Bowling is both interesting, and annoying. I like the rounds concept to advance, but the scores needed are SO high! Also, I don't like that I got a strike on my 3rd frame, but wasn't allowed to bowl for bonus and so didn't advance. (71, 9-, and ><) Is it always 16 player, or can you get matched into a full game with just 1 other? The random nature of the playtest puts me off bothering again, but I know for certain that I'll be there day 1 because the core concept was already superb.

Assuming, of course, that Nintendo allow me to play it at all now that I've commented...

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Chanbara can sod off. I played twice, 1st time was against what I assume was a bot because they stuck around while I went through the entire tutorial, and I won 2-0. 2nd time was against someone who waited until they blocked me and then smacked me right into KO before I could respond. Strategy noted for moving forwards. This could be awesome split-screen local, but I doubt I'll ever choose to play it online.

Tennis is tennis. Still as great as ever. Played twice, won 1 and lost a close one due to my own errors rather than their skill. Thta's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Bowling is both interesting, and annoying. I like the rounds concept to advance, but the scores needed are SO high! Also, I don't like that I got a strike on my 3rd frame, but wasn't allowed to bowl for bonus and so didn't advance. (71, 9-, and ><) Is it always 16 player, or can you get matched into a full game with just 1 other? The random nature of the playtest puts me off bothering again, but I know for certain that I'll be there day 1 because the core concept was already superb.

Assuming, of course, that Nintendo allow me to play it at all now that I've commented...

I've called the police.

17 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This still says the online test is not active, did it shut early?

According to the other thread it's only active for five 45 mins slots at the following times:

Saturday 19 February

03:00 - 03:45 (UK time) / 04:00 - 04:45 (CET)

11:00 - 11:45 (UK time) / 12:00 - 12:45 (CET)

19:00 - 19:45 (UK time) / 20:00 - 20:45 (CET)

Sunday 20 February

03:00 - 03:45 (UK time) / 04:00 - 04:45 (CET)

11:00 - 11:45 (UK time) / 12:00 - 12:45 (CET

Is this shit? Chambara was OK, but in the bowling it seems like you don't let go of the trigger to let go of the ball, you have to hold the trigger down, and if you do let go of the button the ball just stops dead in the lane. :lol:  And in tennis the serving is just waving your bat straight up and straight back down? It all feels very... waggly. In a way Wii Sports didn't.

Managed to get half an hour in just now before putting the little one down for a nap. 

Got chambara twice and one session of bowling which I went out narrowly in the first round of. 

Can’t see me playing much of chambara but I actually thought the motion controls worked pretty well. It felt responsive and fair. 

I didn’t get enough of the bowling to understand the controls as well as I’d have hoped. I kept releasing the trigger to let go of the ball as I was sure that’s how it worked on Wii, but not here. I didn’t necessarily feel like I had as much control over the angle and spin compared to Wii Bowling but with only 6 throws it was difficult to tell. 

Annoyed I didn’t get a chance to do the tennis, but it’ll still be a day one purchase. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm quite tempted to get this as a party game. I never really played Wii Sports, so the reviews which are criticising it for being too similar to the original aren't an issue for me. 

How does just having one pair of Joy Cons limit you? I read that Badminton is only 2 player anyway, as is the sword fighting thing. Bowling you can take in turns, obviously. Is there a way to play four player football, volleyball and tennis without two sets of Joy Cons?

Currys / DPD delivery delay email 'delayed flight' so i'll not be finding out today!!

hoping its decent laugh tho as I've just volunteered to the primary school end of year fun day to set this up in one of the classes on the fancy digital whiteboards!

31 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

What’s the bowling like people?

Did you not manage to try the demo? Bowling was pretty much as good as the wii version. It seemed you no longer need to let go of a button to release the ball which takes some getting used to.