Nintendo Switch Sports - Nintendo aiming for the PS2's record.

HarMGM

2x1_NSwitch_NintendoSwitchSports_enGB_image1600w.thumb.jpg.3c1fd550b724b9ec268a02de9b62d8b1.jpg

Revealed in the Nintendo Direct a few days ago, this is the 4th entry in the 'Sports' series that began with Wii Sports(2006). The first game is what made the Wii such a breakout hit. Years after it released, we were still seeing clones of it appear on the Wii and even rival consoles when Kinect and Move reared their head around the corner.

After the disappointing Wii Sports Club(2013), Nintendo seems to be making an effort again this time around. Whether it reaches the heights of the original or its successor Wii Sports Resort(2009) remains to be seen. But Nintendo seems a lot more confident in this one then the last one. 

If anyone's interested in getting a taste on how Good/Bad this may turn out, then an online playtest is scheduled to go live from the 18th to the 20th of February that people can download via the e-shop.

Anyone up for a new round of Tennis?

What's the consensus on the motion ability of the joy cons? Are we expecting comparable performance with the wii remote, the wii motion plus or actually better or worse than the Wii options? 

They Joycon's never really worked very well for me so I'll stay away, still too expensive to replace as well when there's no guarantee they're going to fair any better. By now I thought there'd be a pro-version but I think Nintendo have just dropped the ball with this generation.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Aren't they sort of in between wiimote and motion plus? Any motion controlled games I've played have always required a fair bit of recalibration. 

Didn't notice too big of a difference between Joy-Con and Motion Plus myself. The latter required plenty of recalibration in stuff like Wii Sports Resort.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah, I have the impression the JoyCons aren't as precise as Wiimotes with motion plus .

Playing the bowling in the Club House Games I'd be inclined to agree with you there. Never felt as precise.

59 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Nintendo have just dropped the ball with this generation.

:lol: Clearly, yeah.

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

I think Nintendo have just dropped the ball with this generation.

They’ve sold an average of 2 units every 3 seconds since launch day.

I hate to see what you’d consider ‘not dropping the ball with this generation’.

We’ve got 3, 4 if you count the revised regular model with the better battery.

I’d like a switch pro as much as the next man but given how new the OLED is I can’t see it happening for sometime yet. Besides, they don’t really do revisions for their home consoles, which the switch half is.

Dropped the ball? Fucking hell ...

There are going to be some households out there who still have a Wii and never felt the need to upgrade, but not many. However, it's Wii Sports again! All of us are going to buy it, because we remember those halcyon days when even the accounts people in the office were talking about it. It probably won't recapture that magic, but the chance that it will will be enough. 

CAPITALISM! It might even be worth getting a spare copy of Ring Fit Adventures to sell on should this be anywhere near successful. We all saw how hard it was to get it, and all recall the Wii Fit shortages. /CAPITALISM!

The only thing my girlfriend has ever played on my Switch is Just Dance. Do not underestimate the power of motion controls to break mental barriers. Wii Sports was nearly 20 years ago, which means there is a nostalgia element. I'm all-in, I reckon this will be absolutely massive.

17 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Didn't notice too big of a difference between Joy-Con and Motion Plus myself. The latter required plenty of recalibration in stuff like Wii Sports Resort.

I would've assumed so, it's a couple-of-generations more advanced version of the same basic technology (gyros plus accelerometers), just without the pointer to give you automatic recalibration on pointing-based games. I've always found it to be very reliable in Ring Fit Adventure, where e.g. the yoga moves involve the joy-con starting at then returning to a specific orientation repeatedly over and over.