Jump to content

Live A Live - this year's sleeper hit?


Keyboard Koala
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

Counter: I had to spend quite some time explaining to a large part of my Squenix-fan friends what this was over IM. I'm sure it is that obscure.

 

It's [laif-a-laif] btw. (TIHI.)


Square fans who hadn’t heard of a game that became famous for being one of their classics that didn’t reach the west and fan translators made it a top priority?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:


Square fans who hadn’t heard of a game that became famous for being one of their classics that didn’t reach the west and fan translators made it a top priority?

 

Stop moving the goal posts. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I know this has become an unpopular opinion but I’m stunned that anyone who is of the SNES era and is into JRPGs hasn’t heard of Live A Live.

 

sarcasm or snobbery?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I know this has become an unpopular opinion but I’m stunned that anyone who is of the SNES era and is into JRPGs hasn’t heard of Live A Live.

 

Being a fan of JRPGs doesn't automatically mean becoming a member of Rllmuk. :lol: Dear lord.

You do realise people can play video games and not be complete geeks about it, right? What's next? Do you need to know Rad Racer is vital part of Final Fantasy history before you can touch Octopath Traveler?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

 

sarcasm or snobbery?
 


I’m certainly not being sarcastic and I hope I’m not being snobbish. I just thought this game was pretty famous for being one of Square’s untranslated gems like Trials of Mana.

I wasn’t a JRPG fan but I did read Super Play so maybe I first heard about it there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

Being a fan of JRPGs doesn't automatically mean becoming a member of Rllmuk. :lol: Dear lord.

You do realise people can play video games and not be complete geeks about it, right? What's next? Do you need to know Rad Racer is vital part of Final Fantasy history before you can touch Octopath Traveler?


Please move on from the straw man. I’m just saying I’m not into JRPGs but I’m familiar with Live A Live. Ergo I would assume JRPG fans or people who were big into the SNES would’ve heard of it too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Weird, I thought that Super Play would have been reasonably well read by the forum, obviously not. The game also always features in ‘games that never left Japan’ type articles along with Treasure Hunter G, Bahamut Lagoon and Front Mission.


This is probably the reason I’m familiar - Super Play. It’s undoubtedly given me a skewed sense of these things. If you didn’t read Super Play or haven’t followed the SNES emu scene then it’s unlikely Live A Live will have crossed your path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recognised the name, but that was about it. (Also I’m that guy who barely knew what a JRPG was before FFVII, which doesn’t help.)

 

It’s one of those things you always skim past on ROM sites when you’re looking for Lethal Enforcers or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:


This is probably the reason I’m familiar - Super Play. It’s undoubtedly given me a skewed sense of these things. If you didn’t read Super Play or haven’t followed the SNES emu scene then it’s unlikely Live A Live will have crossed your path.

 

I'm another person who was surprised by how unknown the game seems to be; definitely due to too much time spent on rom translation sites in my case, as I never read Super Play. Live a Live, Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission and the earlier Fire Emblem games are probably the "biggest" SNES games I can think of within the rom translation community.

 

(got to be honest, based on said translations Live a Live is also the least engaging of them, though it does have the most best intro to a game on the console; they'd best not mess that part of it up!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ahhh, this game instantly take me back to the late 90s era when gamestores and magazines were the only source for new and sometimes obscure info on upcoming games. And there would always be this one shady guy (probably a lot older than most other kids) who'd have gotten his hands on some Japanese game that was never going to be released in the West, but which he could play as he obviously had a basic understanding of Japanese, and of which he swore it was one of the best games ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ahhh, this game instantly take me back to the late 90s era when gamestores and magazines were the only source for new and sometimes obscure info on upcoming games. And there would always be this one shady guy (probably a lot older than most other kids) who'd have gotten his hands on some Japanese game that was never going to be released in the West, but which he could play as he obviously had a basic understanding of Japanese, and of which he swore it was one of the best games ever.

Was that guy Wil Overton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Was that guy Wil Overton

 

Alas no. He did exist though, as a jobless bum who still lived with his parents and spent all of his dole money on fags and overpriced Japanese import games. He famously claimed he could follow most of the story of Shenmue in Japanese without subtitles. Good times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, this demo is way too short to make me want to pay £40.

 

A handful of battles and some pretty good voice acting is not enough to convince me to part with that much cash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Purin said:

Man, this demo is way too short to make me want to pay £40.

 

A handful of battles and some pretty good voice acting is not enough to convince me to part with that much cash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-A-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09SQF7FF4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LPV656LHZRZ8&keywords=live+a+live+switch&qid=1655851920&s=videogames&sprefix=live+%2Cvideogames%2C111&sr=1-1

 

£33 here ;)

There was an offer the other day for £7 off getting something delivered to an Amazon locker... so nabbed it for under £26 !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm intrigued by this, but reading up on the original it doesn't sound very fun to be honest. At least very uneven. Is there anyone here who played it and can share their thoughts? 

 

Also, I just love this engine so much. I hope we will get many, many more of these remakes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.