IGNORED

The Adam Project - Time travel actioner with Ryan Reynolds

FishyFish

• 1 month later...

This is brilliant. It’s funny, exciting, looks great and has more heart than it has any right to have. Reynolds, Saldana and Ruffalo are all great but it’s young Scobell that hangs it all together. Keener didn’t seem to get the memo though and is full cardboard cut out villain but she never takes anything away from the great stuff going on everywhere else. 

Good to hear, I like Ryan Reynolds he can carry shit films better than most, but good to have him in another good film by the sounds of it. 

Watched it in family film night last night.  Had zero visibility of it, went in blind, thought it was great...it's got a couple of solid LOLs in there, some feels, definitely pulls some notes from Flight of the Navigator but it doesn't coast on nostalgia alone.

It's good.

Yeah, this was alright. I think I'd have enjoyed this more as an actual kid, you know like when you were a kid watching something Flight of the Navigator. Speaking of actual kids, young Reynolds stole the show, he was superb.

27 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

had an almost 80s sci fi vibe

Yeah, that's what I was kinda getting at with my comment about enjoying it more as a kid. 

Enjoyed this. Definitely the same feel as Flight of the Navigator.

So many references, obvious and subtle, to other 80s/90s sci-fi- Sarah Connor’s gun basement, light sabres, ET in the shed, McFly’s body warmer, forest chase, all sorts of nods.

Yeah I enjoyed this and I thought it did the family movie schmaltz in a much better way than the equivalent that I grew up with in 80s movies. A 'healthier' way that is, not less cheese necessarily but better handled in regards to not promoting crap toxic masculinity bullshit. 

Yep I enjoyed this as well.

Jennifer Garner wins the acting gong for me though, solely for the scene in the bar, which I thought she absolutely knocked out of the park.

I think I'm an outlier here as I really disliked it.  Loved the trailer, and was looking forward to it, but really didn't enjoy the film.  All to do with aspects of the writing which I felt were a bit half-assed and not properly thought through, just handwaving away plot issues in a rush to get to all-to-familiar set piece action scenes.  

I really hated the way that loads of faceless henchmen were casually murdered*, in that video-gamey way, without pause or comment.  Felt really out of place in a 'family' type film.

* ok, disappeared into sparkles, but as good as.

On 12/03/2022 at 06:21, monkeydog said:

It was alright.  The cast are great in it. There's good depth to the family story but it still fell fairly flat as a whole. I don't totally regret watching it but it's fairly close.

:D put that on the poster!* 'you won't regret watching it...although it might get fairly close'

*what poster 

A bit too much of a therapy session for me...is there any other film with as many emotional moments. 

Spoiler

dunno why I'm spoiling this but I was more engaged by Reynolds meeting his younger self, the bullies part, meeting his mum than meeting his dad, by that point it got a bit too much even if it was always going to go there. 

De aged Keener was terrible. I still think Mark Ruffalo can't emote or really act. 

It's so just alright I'm struggling to think of anything else. I recently watched Chaos Walking and gave up, family sci fi in a forest film that is so badly written/adapted there's nothing there. In comparison to that it's exceptional, it's tight at least, moves quickly, knows what it is. Unlike Flight of the Navigator though, which was one of my favourite films as a kid, there's no real wonder or magic to this. 

The interactions/non-action parts were half decent but the script really seemed forced in places (it ripped off the tone of Deadpool quite a lot).  "He's so cute, I could hold him under water until the bubbles stop!" was really out of place.  I thoroughly enjoyed Ruffalo in this though and thought he and the kid really stole the show. I like Ryan Reynolds a lot but this was probably a 2 or 3 out of 5 for me.  

The running time was about right as I'm really tired of overly long films.

The amount of stuff he's knocking out at the moment is probably down to needing to buy more footballers for Wrexham.

One thing that really didn't fit or make sense was

Spoiler

How suddenly people believed time travel and that he was who he said he was. It was done in that very 80s way where people just believed it almost immediately just so the plot could move on. 

I mean you can nitpick it to buggery but I thought it was 'fun' and better than a lot of family friendly movies I thought. 

It shits all over the bayformers (even though I appreciate that isn't a bar to get over as much as it is a line on the floor. 

I had to give up on this it's pretty terrible.

I particularly disliked the bit where

Spoiler

The armourr piercing bullet got snapped up by the electromagnetic field, but only after it left the barrely of the gun *sigh* 

I thought it was pretty terrible, but you can't blame Ryan Reynolds for draining every drop of relevance from the one character he plays.

When you look at his roles on IMDb, he's been acting in unknown stuff for years and years before he made it big - if millions of people will pay to see Ryan Quippy, who's he to argue.

On 24/03/2022 at 10:31, Cheyenne said:

You had to give up five minutes from the end of the film?

I didnt actually check :)  It was pretty interminable , I was already on my second sitting and just turned it off in disgust. 

I suppose now Ill have to go and finish the last five minutes 😛 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 12:50, Ste Pickford said:

I think I'm an outlier here as I really disliked it.  Loved the trailer, and was looking forward to it, but really didn't enjoy the film.  All to do with aspects of the writing which I felt were a bit half-assed and not properly thought through, just handwaving away plot issues in a rush to get to all-to-familiar set piece action scenes.  

I really hated the way that loads of faceless henchmen were casually murdered*, in that video-gamey way, without pause or comment.  Felt really out of place in a 'family' type film.

* ok, disappeared into sparkles, but as good as.

This was my problem with the film too. Just casual brutality seemed so at odds with the rest of it when it was trying to have the emotional beats with the family stuff at well. Also at one point they did that poofing into a puff of smoke thing after being shot by a regular bullet rather than the energy swords or whatever, which I didn't get.

I'm sorry but I can't help myself: how does "Time" know that being shot has killed them. What counts as fatal from Time's perspective? The moment their heart stops? Brain function?

Not necessarily a criticism but it's a very stupid movie.