IGNORED

Men, Alex Garland film

SM47

Barrow & Salisbury done the music as well. Big fan of theirs. I still regularly listen to the Annihilation soundtrack when I'm sat on the bus wearing a mask during the global pandemic that's killed millions of people and I want to pretend I live in a sci fi horror film 

Think I've seen all of Garland's work, despite thinking he's pretty variable. Apart from the Tesseract lol. Thought Devs flattered to deceive - I would have preferred a series from VanderMeer's novels...

Anyway, nice to see him on a horror tip again. I'd be very much up for a circle back to some of the themes of 28 Days Later.

That looks really cool - it looks like it's using classic English horror themes, like churchyards, old houses, the Green Man, etc, and I love the vibe of the tunnel and the rain at the start. It's hard to read too much into that trailer, but I get a kind of mid-eighties Usborne Book of Ghosts vibe from it - not in terms of the level of scariness, but in that kind of uniquely British horror vibe, where mundane life is distorted by something completely inexplicable.

The title does sound a bit like the film is rolling its eyes and saying "men!" at the end, which makes me laugh a bit, but I'm sure the film itself will be suitably creepy.

6 hours ago, K said:

That looks really cool - it looks like it's using classic English horror themes, like churchyards, old houses, the Green Man, etc, and I love the vibe of the tunnel and the rain at the start. It's hard to read too much into that trailer, but I get a kind of mid-eighties Usborne Book of Ghosts vibe from it - not in terms of the level of scariness, but in that kind of uniquely British horror vibe, where mundane life is distorted by something completely inexplicable.

The title does sound a bit like the film is rolling its eyes and saying "men!" at the end, which makes me laugh a bit, but I'm sure the film itself will be suitably creepy.

The tunnel bit is just pinched out of Kurosawa’s Dreams though…or at least that’s how it appeared to me. Not that this doesn’t look intriguing.

I find Garland to be monumentally overrated, mind you. At his best he manages ‘quite interesting’, ie Annihilation and Devs, but he’s never made anything one would consider essential viewing. He’s also been involved in some absolute wank…28 Days Later, Dredd, Sunshine, etc.

And The Tesseract is arguably the worst novel in the English language.

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2022 at 18:01, ZOK said:

I find Garland to be monumentally overrated, mind you. At his best he manages ‘quite interesting’, ie Annihilation and Devs, but he’s never made anything one would consider essential viewing. He’s also been involved in some absolute wank…28 Days Later, Dredd, Sunshine, etc.

I'd go along with the overrated bit but the stuff i like is the stuff you hat and vice versa.
I really liked 28 Days Later, most of Dredd and about 80% of Sunshine, while I thought Annihilation and Devs were utter rubbish.

Thank god. I film finally comes along that can answer life’s great existential musing…

Spoiler

“Is there such a thing as too much Rory Kinnear?”

Kind of wish I stuck to the teaser but I’m still very excited for this one. 

6 hours ago, JamesC said:

I'd go along with the overrated bit but the stuff i like is the stuff you hat and vice versa.
I really liked 28 Days Later, most of Dredd and about 80% of Sunshine, while I thought Annihilation and Devs were utter rubbish.

image.png.ae74af3378542b5934a202dc44508731.png

*I think.