IGNORED

Playing games in your sleep

MagicalDrop

I've been playing a lot of Chime Deluxe lately. It's a lesser known score attack Tetris-alike on all the main platforms. It's been out for years so the scoreboards don't see a lot of movement. 

Music plays a part in the game. It's very playable in silence if that's your thing. But it's perfect to play to your own soundtrack, whether that be radio, Spotify or whatever you choose. I have spare time, so I usually play for a couple of hours a day while catching up on radio or listening to music. 

But once I switch off I'm still matching shapes. Imagine watching the news on TV while in your head you're spinning shapes to complete lines in Tetris. Or the football is on and you're mentally working out where that shape you can see on your mind should fit on an imaginary grid. Chime is all about coverage... filling a huge grid with Tetris shapes. I'm literally doing it in my sleep. 

It's fairly well known that late night gaming is a bad thing for restful sleep. Anyone else got it bad? 

When I worked for Sony, I tested the PS1 version of Puzzle Bobble. That whole week, every time I closed my eyes, I'd see coloured bubbles flying upwards. 

In a near identical vein, I also tested Bubble Bobble and had the music constantly looping in my head. 

A guy I worked with was one of the programmers on Rollcage and said that he was driving home in the early hours during crunch time and, when he came up behind someone driving slower on a country road, was looking to see where he could go up the side of the road to get round him. 

And we've all done the Tony Hawk, "grind that, ollie to there, wall ride across..." thing when looking at an ordinary street, haven't we? Or maybe the Sonic / Mario equivalent? 

Tetris, obviously enough - been playing daily for the past 4 months and I apparently now have a dedicated section of my consciousness set aside for it, running as a background process. I get trace images of different block combinations rotating into position flashing up all the time, sometimes even when I’m actively thinking about something else. When I’m drifting off to sleep they start running in the foreground.

The other notable one was when I was playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR - I would always do an hour before bed to match the timezone of my squad mates, then when going to sleep I’d be back in the cockpit. After intense games I’d see star destroyers exploding when I closed my eyes.

I sometimes brainstorm tricky gameplay sequences in my head if I had been attempting them in the evening. Especially since I play RPGs and live service trash where there are a bunch of different variables and ways to manipulate them.

I think I was deep into a Persona 5 palace one night and couldn’t see where to go to make progress, and it was bugging me as I tried to sleep, but I think the late night must have broken me, because I came back the next day and figured it out within moments of resuming my save… 🙃

I had it really bad with Wordament - when I was half asleep my brain would race through imaginary boards of letters going "parts, strap, traps..." etc. for hours (I get really bad insomnia at times, and stuff like this is a nightmare with it.

Also Lumines, during some of the many times I've been hooked on it.

I had this with Returnal. Not so much playing it in my head but more a sense of movement, lurching up and dashing sideways and circling, circling, circling.

It’s the same as having sea legs once you’re ashore. I remember when I was younger and used to surf a lot, when lying in bed after a long session I’d have this constant feeling (innuendo opportunities aplenty) of resisting a rushing, sucking, swelling sensation behind my back and then a surging feeling emanating forwards from the front of my body and a kind of slippery feeling in my legs and then a tumbling sensation (I wiped out a lot). Like I wasn’t surfing in my head, but my body hadn’t caught up with normal land-based conditions. The weirdness was compounded by lying down, being dragged into the bed and then feeling weightless shortly after.

Hard to get to sleep 

I’ve had it with Deathsmiles. As I was getting closer to my first 1CC on it zi’d play it for a couple of hours per sitting. All the bullets and pick ups stayed with me long after I’d turned the arcade cabinet off.

Also had it a bit with Attack on Titan on Vita, but rather than bright colours burned into my eyesight it was more the twitchiness of movement I felt. Like I needed to rush at picking something up when there was an opening, as if I need to gas forward while a Titan had its back to me.

:doh:

On 09/02/2022 at 01:38, MagicalDrop said:

It's fairly well known that late night gaming is a bad thing for restful sleep. Anyone else got it bad? 

I have it after sim racing late at night (only after a tense race). I'm still too pumped up to sleep immediately after the race has ended so I chill for about an hour before heading to bed. Mrs Meers said that I'm very busy in my sleep after I've had a race session (it wakes her up sometimes). I don't dream about it though, not that I remember anyway.

It's getting late because I'm an hour ahead of almost everyone else (almost all British players). Time to switch to GMT in the Netherlands I say!

Edit: No, I'm not moving to the UK, before anyone suggests it.

At the height of my Modern Warfare 2 addiction I would dream of placing claymores in strategic places. One time I apparently grabbed my Mrs mid sleep and she tells me I shouted to her "there's a guy in that FUCKING TOWER!!!" then went back to sleep. 

Can't wait for the inevitable remaster 😂