IGNORED

Nintendo Direct 9th February 10pm UK time - unreasonable hopes and impossible expectations

Strafe

It's also literally how Nintendo works. Years ago they started having default 3D models for their characters, and it seems they are now 'defaulting' other assets as well. It's not a negative btw, it's rather smart and makes the return on investment from the mobile side of things less problematic when they are not reaching King levels of sales. But the idea that this is "glorious Nintendo coming down from the heavens and showering us in manna" is also not the correct view.

I mean they're reselling us the Wii. Wholesale.

47 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I do love the Hyrule Warriors series but if Nintendo want to make more musou games I'd like them be more ambitious and have a go at a smash brothers or nintendo all stars inspired one.

Sure, but Nintendo aren't making them :)

I’m looking forward to playing some of the Mario Kart Tour tracks on a controller. Some of them are fantastic, the London one where you smash through Spitalfields Market for a start.

Is anyone really expecting 48 new tracks to be as polished as the original release ones? That’s two games worth of content they are putting on their Expansion pack.

Trojan horse or not, Animal Crossing DLC + Mario Kart + Golden Axe = Gamepass Killer (but not really). Which is good as the AC content was a bit lame and was feeling salty about the £20 I dished out 

56 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Where did the idea that these are literally the tracks from Mario Kart Tour come from? They’re just billed as 48 tracks from earlier instalments.

Thanks @Eighthours

I play MKT every day and the style of the tracks are exactly the same. They've been making significant updates and changes on bringing the retro tracks into MKT (particularly with verticality with the GBA and SNES tracks).

Also none of these tracks shown have MK8 anti-gravity sections added (unlike the MK8 native retro tracks) because this wouldn't work on a phone.

Do you really think Nintendo are going to remake GBA Sky Garden for MKT and do another separate version for MK8? Even the thumbnails are the same.

Also laughing at the thought that Nintendo will develop this additional content over the next two years. Nah, this is all ready to go to feed into two Mario Kart games simultaneously. The only reason it is drip-fed is so you keep your Nintendo Online subscription!

I mean this is Nintendo who never miss a moment to sell you stuff you've already bought. You all know this!

53 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I’m looking forward to playing some of the Mario Kart Tour tracks on a controller. Some of them are fantastic, the London one where you smash through Spitalfields Market for a start.

Absolutely. Get ready for this middle-aged gaming forum to gush over Ninja Hideaway.

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Also none of these tracks shown have MK8 anti-gravity sections added (unlike the MK8 native retro tracks) because this wouldn't work on a phone.

Why wouldn’t anti grav tracks work on a phone? The controls don’t change, do they?

Just read up on this and other than the MK tracks, I don’t think there’s much there for me, and if it’s true that they’re just remakes of old I’m not really that fussed.

Where were Zelda and Metroid Prime 4?

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Just read up on this and other than the MK tracks, I don’t think there’s much there for me, and if it’s true that they’re just remakes of old I’m not really that fussed.

Wouldn't they save that for E3?

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I mean this is Nintendo who never miss a moment to sell you stuff you've already bought. You all know this!

Quite. Especially in this current day and age when other publishers are throwing old games at us for free left, right, and centre. Like ... 

Um ...

Oh!

I can't believe that in 2022 we keep coming back to this weird concept of "value" that only applies to [whichever publisher/developer that the poster has a beef with today.] Nintendo owe you nothing. No games company owes you anything. If you feel it worth paying for, then pay it. Otherwise, don't. Personally, I have 0 problems with a developer reusing assets. In fact, I wish more would. Maybe if more of them would buy in prefabricated destructible scenery they could stop trying to shove the price of new games ever closer to the sky.

16 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Why wouldn’t anti grav tracks work on a phone? The controls don’t change, do they?

Should have been clearer in my thoughts. MKT doesn't have anti-gravity karts or tracks. They haven't implemented because I assumed too difficult but it's probably more likely it is just a differentiator.

11 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I can't believe that in 2022 we keep coming back to this weird concept of "value" that only applies to [whichever publisher/developer that the poster has a beef with today.]

I'm just stating facts. Nintendo is very good at repackaging old content as new content. And Nintendo isn't going to waste resource on new versions of old Mario Kart tracks when they've already ported them to Tour.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Considering the original sales pitch of the Switch was “let us resell you the NES, SNES, N64 and Wii U but now in Hybrid format!” I can’t really see a problem here.

Nor why certain members were clamoring for this stuff 5 years ago and are now non plussed about it because it doesn’t have shiny new hardware backing it.

27 minutes ago, JPL said:

But every MK game has "remakes" of tracks? At least half of the tracks in a mario kart game are from other versions.

Have you played tour? I would imagine we are getting at least 8 "new" tracks from that game if you have never played it.

Zelda and MP4 would have been nice, but that is clearly for e3 time. They said this direct was for first half releases only.

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

But every MK game has "remakes" of tracks? At least half of the tracks in a mario kart game are from other versions.

Have you played tour? I would imagine we are getting at least 8 "new" tracks from that game if you have never played it.

Zelda and MP4 would have been nice, but that is clearly for e3 time. They said this direct was for first half releases only.

Yeah, I know. I’m just not overly excited by it.

I really should look into all the other games they showed off. Kirby looks good, but I’m either not bothered about any of the others or I don’t know anything about them.

That Kirby game looks absolutely fantastic, probably the game I'm most excited by this year.

My old lunchbreak Mario Kart buddy messaged me incredibly excited about the new tracks, so looking forward to the rivalry sparking up again.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I know. I’m just not overly excited by it.

I really should look into all the other games they showed off. Kirby looks good, but I’m either not bothered about any of the others or I don’t know anything about them.

That's fair enough.

I have to admit, i would have preferred a new MK considering MK8 has been around for 8 years or so. They could have been releasing this dlc a while back.

Leads me to think MK9 has either been pushed back to Switch 2, or the Switch is sticking around longer than Nintendo were expecting it to be.

My main bug bare with MK8 DX was the introduction of two items instead of one from the original game. I just want the option to set up a lobby with 1 item box...

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Well Nintendo have always done this.. except the bundle in things they have leant or has worked right back to their first games and consoles TBH. Nothing wrong with that - its safe and I guess they usually work towards a target age group (although doesn't mean it excludes anyone!) and that age group will always discover their content and get a spark of joy from it. To a degree its timeless. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Tweak it a bit to keep things a little fresh perhaps - visuals, sounds but the core keep the same.

To be fair over the years I've been gaming Nintendo have always been a source of bewilderment for me and they do throw curveballs left right and centre... So they do innovate just not in the ways expected at times. Which is why they will remain one to always watch for me.

Not that I have a Switch at the moment but did buy one initially to play their IP and well isn't the hardware great? (well other than the questionable durability of the joycons!). Its just so different as is their approach to fun. Ring Fit? Labo? Mario Kart Live? They seem to operate in a world of their own at times... and they are endearing because of it. As much as I bemoan them at times... I'll still be queuing up for their next piece of hardware and another Mario. As much as I don't like buying multiple pieces of hardware from multiple vendors to play games - Nintendo is mostly the exception.

Seeing that MK8 Deluxe's DLC is just MK Tour's tracks ported over is kind of a bummer. Should have known that €25 for 48 tracks was too good to be true.

On the other hand: paying €25 to experience MK Tour's tracks without having to be tied to being always online is a pretty massive bonus. 

Anyone know if there any places to preorder standard or limited physical copies of Klonoa and Live-A-Live yet?

If not anyone know the best places to keep an eye on whether they are Japanese or western versions?

26 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

It should always be one Mario Kart per console. Keeps the player base intact and everyone knows exactly which Mario Kart you are talking about when you rock up for a game.

Or One Mario Kart per 2 consoles when you look at MK8