IGNORED

Last of Us part II - just finished again….

IainGamer

I am also currently playing through this again on ps5. It is an absolute masterpiece. Only bettered by the original, which of course , is the best game ever made . 

Apologies should have put in the original thread.  

agree the gameplay is not as strong as the overall presentation but I suppose it’s a game that is there to take you on a journey unlike say something like a shooter like returnal, which is also awesome! 

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

4/10 gameplay with 10/10 presentation.

I just don’t understand this ‘gameplay not being strong’ narrative. It’s one of the best 3rd person action/stealth games out there. If not the best for my money. 

One of the few games I have instantly restarted after completing and played through again.

Well worth playing about with some of the setting that open up for a second play through. I can't remember exactly which setting I turned on and off but it turned Ellie into a walking tank and it was a load of fun to replay.

Funnily enough I'm currently playing Bulletstorm on the switch and that's another I restarted straightaway after completing.

2 hours ago, Trigg said:

I just don’t understand this ‘gameplay not being strong’ narrative. It’s one of the best 3rd person action/stealth games out there. If not the best for my money. 

I agree - it's basically Manhunt on steroids. I think if you're looking for something that gets away with a lot of very average, stretched-out, paper-thin gameplay due to its presentation, RDR2 takes that award handily for my money.

3 hours ago, Trigg said:

I agree. Much like the Halo games you need to play it on Hard difficulty and above for it to really shine and show what it’s capable of, but when resources and ammo are severely limited every single encounter becomes a nail-bitingly tense scramble for survival that demands every ounce of situational awareness and improvisational creativity to conquer.

For moment-to-moment concentrated stealth action gameplay it’s in a league of its own and the synergy of fantastic level design, carefully judged enemy placement and AI and delicately balanced player tools is second to none. The number of times that I suddenly found myself in a frantic, violently desperate scrabble for survival with literally one bullet left in my gun and my heart pounding as I was remorselessly hunted down and I barely made it out alive were too many to mention. The Hillcrest sequence alone was a constantly escalating ratchet of unbearable tension that by its crescendo of a conclusion was almost overwhelming.

Metal Gear V is the only game that compares and that’s far more of a broader scope OTT military supersoldier fantasy than the grounded desperation in a decaying world that LoU2 is, so doesn’t really bear direct comparison.

I accept that the direction they took the story of LoU2 in is divisive (although I thought it was outstanding in that regard too) but dismissing the gameplay as second-rate is a view I find difficult to fathom. It’s a truly exhausting game in every sense of the word, but for that reason I rate it as the single most absorbing experience video games have ever given me. Absolute masterpiece and I can’t begin to imagine what Naughty Dog will do with the PS5 at their disposal.

A very divisive game as seen in the original thread.  Opinion remains divided as everyone else says it's great but I didn't like it. I think it would have benefitted from racing based levels.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I agree - it's basically Manhunt on steroids.

It's not even close to being as good as Manhunt as a stealth game or in its story/setting. In Manhunt you had the risk/reward of the severity of your executions depending on how long you dared to wind them up for, you just don't get that kind of satisfaction or choice in Last Of Us. I was so disappointed when I played it the first time to discover it didn't expand on Manhunt's gameplay at all and that it was actually regressive.

Manhunt's sleazy Carpenter-esque snuff setting was just infinitely cooler and more entertaining than Last Of Us (both games) which I just found overly portentous, predictable and boring. There was just nothing to get excited about or involved in. Really drab, like a basic movie that you'd half watch.

Manhunt had better gunplay and a bigger payoff the first time you were given a handgun. It felt like an event after scraping by with plastic bags and shivs for half the game. It didn't need scavenging and crafting to up the tension and thrill when you eventually got that shotgun in your hands and made your way through the asylum. That level alone blows anything in the Last Of Us away.

I will argue forever that Manhunt is superior to Last Of Us in every regard.

I've just started replaying Manhunt after they added it to Xbox backwards compatibility, and it's not even close to the sophistication of the Last of Us II - as you'd expect from a game that came out nearly twenty years previously. I mean, doesn't expand on Manhunt's gameplay? You can lay traps, set enemies against each other, attack from above and below; you get dogs hunting you, you have much more involved melee combat. You can take cover in the long grass and crawl under cars. You can wing people, grab them, use them as human shields. Could you even take hostages in Manhunt? I can't remember, but on replaying it, I could feel every second of the two decades separating the games. The vibe of Manhunt is really cool and very well executed, but it's nuts to claim that games haven't moved on since.

There is a section about two thirds of the way through the Last of Us 2 - 

Spoiler

End of Abby Day 1 with the stalkers in the forest at night all the way through to the Rat King at the end of Abby Day 2

- which might be the best three hours I’ve ever experienced in a videogame. Just total command of the form. Has moments that’s basically just Naughty Dog showing off that they could make an amazing Resident Evil if they wanted, but they’ve got bigger fish to fry. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It's not even close to being as good as Manhunt as a stealth game or in its story/setting. In Manhunt you had the risk/reward of the severity of your executions depending on how long you dared to wind them up for, you just don't get that kind of satisfaction or choice in Last Of Us. I was so disappointed when I played it the first time to discover it didn't expand on Manhunt's gameplay at all and that it was actually regressive.

Manhunt's sleazy Carpenter-esque snuff setting was just infinitely cooler and more entertaining than Last Of Us (both games) which I just found overly portentous, predictable and boring. There was just nothing to get excited about or involved in. Really drab, like a basic movie that you'd half watch.

Manhunt had better gunplay and a bigger payoff the first time you were given a handgun. It felt like an event after scraping by with plastic bags and shivs for half the game. It didn't need scavenging and crafting to up the tension and thrill when you eventually got that shotgun in your hands and made your way through the asylum. That level alone blows anything in the Last Of Us away.

I will argue forever that Manhunt is superior to Last Of Us in every regard.

I think Manhunt was superb for all the reasons you state.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

It's MILES better than Manhunt and I haven't event played it. Some serious rose tinting going on there. 

No rose tinting at all, I replayed Manhunt recently (I usually go through it once a year) quite close to playing LoU2 and it was just a massively more satisfying and enjoyable experience. I don't think hiding in long grass or taking hostages are particularly notable additions, @K - I know what you're saying but those aspects didn't add anything meaningful to the 3rd person stealth template for me. I was disappointed in the later levels (specifically the vertical one) where they didn't give you any options at all for using the environment for your takedowns/executions - the gameplay just felt basic and undeveloped to me. The game was so long but the systems were never expanded on to keep your interest.

TLOU2 is impressive, but it's like they took a couple of million squid and spent it on cut scenes, dialogue, long walking sections etc.  The game seems exactly the same as TLOU1 and the first time you drag a dumpster to a wall to climb up it sort of makes you sad because it's just more of what you already had.   It's a great game but the level of hype was off the charts and when it finally appeared years later if felt (to me) like the game you already played but with a very impressive animated rope.