IGNORED

Christmas 2 - are the next 4 weeks one of the best ever for gaming?

tobert

Witch Queen is Day 1, Elden Ring Day 3 or 4...maybe. HZD will get played but no hurry on that one. I'm actually looking forward to the Cyberpunk next-gen patch more than anything else. Obviously it's CDPR so no guarantee it will hit it's expected window but if that appears some time in Feb/early March that will be a several hundred hours of gameplay across three games. Possibly see me through the rest of the year.

GT7 day one and digital as I imagine that will stay on the hard drive for the rest of the gen.

Elden Ring is day one too and Oli Oli World will be for the Switch. (Unless it’s coming to gamepass?)

Horizon 2 looks stunning, but I need to play the first one beforehand so I can circle back round to it later in the year when it’s a bit cheaper.

Quite annoyingly I do have my second child due any day now though. How inconsiderate of them!

Horizon is my day one because I loved the first one and there’s a strong chance the sequel could be an Mass Effect 2-style leap up.

I will get Elden Ring after - I don’t have the same burning expectation as Horizon because I mainlined Souls games last year, played Demon’s Remake, Dark 3 and Sekiro in the space of about six months so I can wait before I get back into another. 

Hope Dying Light 2 is good as well. I’m time poor like so many of us so this month is highly likely to tide me over until August/September. 

I can not decide between Dying Light 2 and/or Horizon an/or Elden Ring.

Dying Light 2 - since it has coop functionality it's positively bubbling with multiplayer goodness on launch.

Horizon - story driven open world single player goodness.

Elden Ring - a new approach from FromSoftware.

Decisions decisions.

I'm going to mainline Witch Queen like a junkie until I have another existential crisis, or some form of RSI kicks in again.

After that I'll buy Elden Ring, and drop it as soon as I get to a poison swamp.

Slightly interested in Olliolli World, although I’d wait for a sale, none of the others in the original post even raise an eyebrow. 

Much more interested in Millie and Molly, Exhumed and Triangle Strategy.

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Quite annoyingly I do have my second child due any day now though. How inconsiderate of them!

Could cross your fingers for a delay. Just tell your parents etc - It'll be out when its ready.

Not a Soulsboune fan so Elden Ring holds little interest for me and whilst I loved the first Horizon will probably wait for the PC port than play the pauper version on my standard PS4.

Still not played Dying Light 1 yet (pile of shame.gif) so the sequel isn’t going to be day 1.

But anyway there’s a Destiny 2 expansion out so would be a waste of money to buy anything else next month as I know I’ll be mainlining that for at least a month or two after release…

The most compelling thing about the first Horizon (the history of the world and the origin of robo dinosaurs) were fully answered by the first game.

I am not sure where the second game will take the story but I find it less compelling as a result.

Fully expecting Dying Light 2 to be a massive disappointment,* which leaves me with 1.5 games to look forward to (Total War and Elden Ring). Not a bad early year selection, but hardly a garden of riches either. But given it looks like I'll actually be moving house very shortly I'm not going to have spare time or money anyway, so it's all a bit moot for me right now!

*I'll be pleased to be proven wrong, mind, but the noises coming out of its development and the marketing over the past year have rather put me off it

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

There's also Babylon's Fall on 3rd March. But I don't know if anyone gives a shit anymore - it's certainly an unknown quantity.

Having been in a beta, I still think it could kind of work as a janky button-mashing time waster that you don’t have to think about too much. Something to play when you don’t know what to play. Unfortunately there are probably already a few games that fit that niche and are more fun.

Maybe if you have oodles of money, a high end pc, a Ps5 then yeah, but seen as I have a middling pc, no money and no Ps5...

Horizon I am massively looking forward to but playing a poorly optimised, 30fps version on PS4 doesn't appeal. Sifu is the other game that appeals but that can wait. Not massively interested in the rest, but will give them a go if they are/appear on game pass at some point.

I guess I'm the only one who's looking forward to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands more than anything else! (Elden Ring is on order and I've already pre-written my sales thread for it in Trading, having never played a Souls game before). 

Am I the only one who thought Horizon Zero Dawn told a pretty self-contained story, and thinks that I am not sure that the new one has anywhere to go, narratively?

The combat will still be great I'm sure but the whole narrative thrust of the first game for me was solving the mystery of what actually happened and what the world was, and all of that has now been answered.

I'm sure they will attempt to invent a second mystery but I don't think it can be anywhere near as compelling.

I do agree that Zero Dawn was a full contained complete story, yes. You can understand why commercially they'd be making a new one, but it's not clear that they'll be able to recapture that narrative magic a second time - as you say, the draw in the first game is of course now blown. All the modern day storylines were uncompelling.

To some extent they faced that same problem with the Frozen Wilds DLC though, and they mad a decent attempt of that. It wasn’t a huge twist or anything, but it still told a story from the ancient world that was revealed little by little. I think they could make it work, although it won’t have as much of an impact they could compensate for that with gameplay improvements.

21 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Elex II and Elden Ring day one for me! :omg:

Elex II on March 1 is actually the game I'm most excited for but I understand if I'm the only one :D

Dying Light 2 is one for a sale I think. I lost most interest after their infamous 500+ hours to complete tweet. As a busy dad who plays a few hours in the evening at most, that's the last thing I want to hear. I know they clarified it afterwards but the damage is done - it's not like I have time for three games at once anyway :)

Horizon: More Dawn looks gorgeous but I wasn't entirely convinced by the first. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was so by the numbers that I don't want to pay full price for what looks like more of the same with a few token new features. Maybe one for the summer.

Just so you know, Elex 2 I can't wait for, if it wasn't for a lack of funds at the moment, this Horizon and Dying light would all be day 1 purchases ^_^

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Am I the only one who thought Horizon Zero Dawn told a pretty self-contained story, and thinks that I am not sure that the new one has anywhere to go, narratively?

The combat will still be great I'm sure but the whole narrative thrust of the first game for me was solving the mystery of what actually happened and what the world was, and all of that has now been answered.

I'm sure they will attempt to invent a second mystery but I don't think it can be anywhere near as compelling.

I actually thought Zero Dawn did the Mass Effect trick of telling a very complete self contained story that left a lot of plot threads open for a sequel.

Spoiler

Main one is what caused the breakdown that triggered Hades, which is pretty explicitly not resolved. One speculated culprit is a rogue AI called Vast Silver that might have been the source of the original Faro robot glitch.

Another source could be future humans from the Apollo space mission that was meant to have exploded but which was shrouded in inconclusive mystery.

And my favourite, which is that the last we hear of Ted Faro is that he is sequestered away in some secret lair as the end of the world draws in, which opens up the opportunity for him to have cloned or digitally preserved himself to be immortal. I would suggest Guerrilla have missed a massive trick if the logical conclusion of this series is not giving the player the chance to fight Faro in a massive robot and punch his stupid fucking face in.  

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about how they're going to handle it. I thought the world was reasonably interesting, but none of the NPCs had anything interesting to say. You'd get to an outpost and they'd just stare blankly. I think if they can improve that aspect of things, the game will be ok without that mystery of the first game.

There was a brief flash of some lady in a crazy future costume in the recent trailer, which has me worried they're going to go a bit Assassin's Creed and have ancient super beings or something awful like that.