Christmas 2 - are the next 4 weeks one of the best ever for gaming?

tobert

I'll only be getting Elden Ring at launch I think. Horizon probably a while down the road as buying it a week before Elden Ring would be pointless for me, I'd end up dropping it like a hot potato.

It's a good line-up but in reality there's only 2 games there I'll personally buy. Maaaaaaybe Dying Light 2 in a sale if word of mouth is good.

2 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm clearing a spot in my gaming diary for Elden Ring by not starting any new big action game/RPG beforehand. Haven't done that since Dragon Quest 11 and before that, Bloodborne.

Yeah I'm excited.

Same, I'm only playing bite-sized Gamepass games at the moment so I'm not balls deep in the middle of something when Elden Ring arrives.

Perhaps one of my most anticipated over the next few weeks is OlliOlli World out on February 8th. I'm not completely sold on the change in artistic direction, but the gameplay looks right. I was completely obsessed with the original two. 

For those worried about getting Elden Ring due to having bounced off previous Souls games, word is that this is being made more accessible (likely due to the George RR Martin connection), with From stating this week they expect more people to complete this one than any of the others.

I had never gotten on with Souls games before, having jacked in Dark Souls twice and Dark Souls III once, but after getting Demons Souls with my PS5 it finally clicked, and I'm glad it did because it was a magnificent game. I haven't gone back to the series at all since, saving myself for Elden Ring so that I can play one new along with everyone else before revisiting previous titles.

12 minutes ago, smac said:

Horizon. But 60-70 quid? Just seems wrong to me to pay that much...

Just wait until the back end of the year? 

Think looking at what I currently have to play I think GT7 and the new Horizon Dawn game will be things I play at the back end of the year as I have a fair few games to get through without buying any more at the moment. Although GT7 might end up getting bought at launch... depends how I'm feeling at the release time!

I'm not expecting it'll make waves, but I'm also looking forward to Grapple Dog - it's super chunky GBA style really appeals, and it has a grapple hook and they are always fun.

I've followed the guy for years on Twitter and it's lovely to see it finally coming out.

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think Horizon is going to surprise people, it’s getting a lot of good feedback. So I’ll probably sink for that before anything else on this list. 

Not sure 'surprise' is the right word. Unless they do something astronomically daft to it, then it's one of the most dead cert 'good games' that you could bet your £60-£70 on. Will it be surprising though? Nope. It'll do what it does really, really well. It'll look as good as - or better - than anything you've seen on the PS5 so far, and it'll tell a rattling good story.

No surprises, just a good game. 

If you like that sort of thing of course!

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

Not sure 'surprise' is the right word. Unless they do something astronomically daft to it, then it's one of the most dead cert 'good games' that you could bet your £60-£70 on. Will it be surprising though? Nope. It'll do what it does really, really well. It'll look as good as - or better - than anything you've seen on the PS5 so far, and it'll tell a rattling good story.

I have a feeling it is going to be quite a step above Zero Dawn in terms of world and level design.

I am really enjoy Zero Dawn, but none of the encounters come close to what we saw in the trailer shown last year for FW. 

Fingers crossed all the encounters are as good as that looked! 

Yeah. I can easily afford 70 quid, will get enough out of it to justify on a quids per hour basis, and bloody loved the first game. And only just bough a PS5 and have Returnal and Deathloop on the go.

I'm going to crack, I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Best couple of weeks for gaming in a long time. For me it’s GT7, Horizon 2, and Elden Ring. 

I am buying these too. 

But Elden Ring is day one, where as Horizon: FW I'll play immediately once I'm done with Elden Ring, that's next in the queue. 

Pointless buying them both at the same time, so Horizon: FW will get purchased once I'm ready to start it. 

GT7...might day one that.  

GT7 I'm day one for. Might do the hotukd turkey store purchase though as its quite a saving. Grid Legends I'll grab when it's cheap. I enjoy the grid games but this one is definitely coming out at the wrong time. 

Horizon I'll get when it's bargain bucket prices as well. As much as I enjoyed the first one, for me it's not a must have. 

Might sneak in an OlliOlli purchase though 😀 

I've got an eye on Dying Light 2, but I'm still thinking that it might end up being shit with how much advertising and hype they're throwing at it. Will re-evaluate when the dust has settled. I'm hoping on a good deal on Witch Queen after a few weeks into the season when every fucker hates it again.

Soulslikes aren't really my cup of tea (outside of wilder off-shoots of the genre like Remnant in Co-Op and Nioh/Stranger of Paradise based on the Demo), and I can't see myself picking up a PS5 just for Gran Turismo 7 (whether I want to or not), so I might keep an eye on how the Geforce Now rumours turn out.

As for what I'm actually playing: At the moment, a couple of Gacha games are finishing up their CNY/Anniversary events. Once that's done, Path of Exile has a new expansion out on Friday (although I'll probably play via Console on the 10th as my hands are basically done in), and Lost Ark is out on the 11th. I'm also expecting a DE10-Nano soon for MiSTer shenanigans, hopefully in time for Beta PS1/Saturn cores to emerge. Egret Mini, too.

Middle of March is pretty good though - P4 Ultimax getting a PC on the 17th, and Stranger of Paradise which I'm still betting on being surprisingly great after how much fun I had with the demo (well, providing Koei do something about it looking/running like shit on even the latest gen of consoles, but worst case scenario I'll have to get it on PC).

Elex II and Elden Ring day one for me! :omg:

Elex II on March 1 is actually the game I'm most excited for but I understand if I'm the only one :D

Dying Light 2 is one for a sale I think. I lost most interest after their infamous 500+ hours to complete tweet. As a busy dad who plays a few hours in the evening at most, that's the last thing I want to hear. I know they clarified it afterwards but the damage is done - it's not like I have time for three games at once anyway :)

Horizon: More Dawn looks gorgeous but I wasn't entirely convinced by the first. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was so by the numbers that I don't want to pay full price for what looks like more of the same with a few token new features. Maybe one for the summer.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dying Light 2 is one for a sale I think. I lost most interest after their infamous 500+ hours to complete tweet. As a busy dad who plays a few hours in the evening at most, that's the last thing I want to hear. I know they clarified it afterwards but the damage is done - it's not like I have time for three games at once anyway :)

Horizon: More Dawn looks gorgeous but I wasn't entirely convinced by the first. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was so by the numbers that I don't want to pay full price for what looks like more of the same with a few token new features. Maybe one for the summer.

Agree with all this (with the exception that I didn't finish Horizon). I'm curious about both of them but not enough to buy them at launch.

OlliOlli and Witch Queen are dead certs, I'm not sure I've got the minerals for Soulslikes anymore having burned out on them during my journo days, but I'm sure I'll get sucked in to the hype and buy Elden Ring too.

Incredible month for games. We deserve it.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I reckon it will be substantially improved over the original - hopefully taking cues from BoTW - I enjoyed Horizon but for me it was just a good game rather than a masterpiece, I’m hoping this one will be. 

I’ll admit to being very tempted by HZD:FW, if only because I was so late to the original and it would be nice to be ‘current’ for a change. I just played the first game in 2020 all the way to the platinum trophy though. So it actually feels a little too soon to jump back in and I might be Aloy-ed out.

Elden Ring… for some reason I’m not that bothered after considering it. Maybe because I still haven’t finished Bloodborne.

In conclusion, if I’m likely to buy anything it will either be Returnal or Spider-Man.