IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

On 31/01/2022 at 20:41, Broker said:

Destiny has a messy mix of everything. Battle passes, paid cosmetics, DLC expansions, £70 special editions. The free version is barely a demo. 

I think that's kind of the "problem" - in offering such a random bunch of add-ons it's both "£70 lololol" and nothing. And, in total, a lot more. In '17 I paid for the expansion pass for about £35-ish? And then again for Shadowkeep, and again for Beyond Light. (I did skip the 30th anniversary content though... 🤔)

So "£0 to £140 lololol" would be more accurate, not to mention any optional bonus expense I may have missed. But I treat it as what would otherwise be MMO subscription costs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

35 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think that's kind of the "problem" - in offering such a random bunch of add-ons it's both "£70 lololol" and nothing. And, in total, a lot more. In '17 I paid for the expansion pass for about £35-ish? And then again for Shadowkeep, and again for Beyond Light. (I did skip the 30th anniversary content though... 🤔)

So "£0 to £140 lololol" would be more accurate, not to mention any optional bonus expense I may have missed. But I treat it as what would otherwise be MMO subscription costs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve also paid quite a lot to keep playing it over the years and don’t feel particularly bad about it. I’ve had hundreds of hours of fun with Destiny, and although I’ve paid more for it than I would have with most games, it’s never been something I’ve felt negative about. I have, however, been very invested and played numerous hours and am basically as dedicated of a player as you can get without being part of a raid team. 

I feel like it would make sense to have maybe three tiers, a free one, a paid tier and a premium one. As new content came out, you could shove the last set of premium content into the paid tier, and the paid stuff into the free tier. As opposed to the absolute mess that is the game now, where they’re asking people to pay premium prices for content minutes before it’s vaulted and are ripping content out of the game to make space for more £40 expansions when there’s no free content in the game anymore. 

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q3_sonyspeech.pdf

boring ass earnings report, summary - They are into Destiny. Live service live service live service. They actually gonna pay like two billion and the rest is on HR and employee retention because, live service. Only 11.7 million PS5s will be sold in financial year 2021 because chips are down. You all watched Spider-Man. No one is buying a Sony car.

Everything online is just endless bullshit. Media thoughtlessly regurgitating stories, people with massive platforms uncritically retweeting complete crap, etc.

But you know, there's a few grifters out there who made bank off stoking the panic, so.

That’s not hugely surprising - Stadia is technically astonishing, but Google clearly aren’t very interested in the game side of things. It makes a bit of sense on the Bungie side of things too, as they were an early supporter of Stadia, and the Stadia version of Destiny 2 is extremely good.

Streaming a GaaS game would have fewer drawbacks than streaming a conventional game given that you have to be online anyway. 

On 02/02/2022 at 14:02, LaveDisco said:

I do get the logic of the purchase in this case, stops MS getting them,

Apparently, though Bungie denied it, Microsoft have attempted multiple times already to get Bungie back.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-14-microsoft-held-talks-to-buy-bungie-report

Sony's official rationale for obtaining and then spending a further $1.2 Billion to keep key staff in place makes sense, considering they plan to launch 10 Service games within the next few years themselves, it's where the real money is, and is exactly what the biggest successful Microsoft games are also.

Well yes, but name a massively successful non-Service game released in the last decade? The only surprise is it has taken Sony this long to get the wheels moving on claiming their slice of it.

They used to own SOE, then sold that division and got out of online games, though their efforts when they attempted to use them for console games weren't exactly market competitive so probably for the best, while Bungie have been fairly successful at it and their other unannounced games were also likely more of that.

12 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Well yes, but name a massively successful non-Service game released in the last decade? The only surprise is it has taken Sony this long to get the wheels moving on claiming their slice of it.

How are you defining massively successful here, because to my mind there have been loads of hugely successful non-service games released in the past decade. Unless you're discounting Nintendo games because reasons.

Even then, Sony's biggest first party stuff can get in the range of 15-20 million (Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, Spiderman).

1 minute ago, Majora said:

How are you defining massively successful here, because to my mind there have been loads of hugely successful non-service games released in the past decade. Unless you're discounting Nintendo games because reasons.

mario kart 8 doesn’t count because not enough micro transactions?

ubisoft kept making gigantic assassins creed games because they hate money?

The last of us 2 just left money on the table?

Meanwhile that destruction car thing just went from strength to strength.

I’m sure Sony want a live service game. 10 by 2026 suggests that they’re crowbarring it into most of their upcoming titles. GT7 first?

42 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

10 service games is such a depressing idea. 

It's a numbers game. Develop 10, have 2/3 moderately successful ($100m+ revenue?). Hope for one, just one, stratospheric success. Fortnite brings in BILLIONS per year. Candy Crush alone, is a billion dollar a year game.

They may be aiming for a more sustainable model though I think - the stratospheric success is pure luck and not something you can plan for,

GT7 makes sense, but it would be in the moderately successful, low-end, projection if you ask me. Knowing Sony, I think the shoot for the moon stuff is new IP.