IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

I see there are as many well-informed takes about the popularity of Destiny floating around here and the rest of the internet as there were about Call of Duty two weeks ago.

I mean, I don’t play either of these games but I’m well aware they are still massively, massively successful properties that make vast sums of money every day - how on earth are there so many people who don’t get that? 

9 minutes ago, layten said:

image.png.4bfc6e59bdd86c312b813647d5b6d0d3.png

🤷

yeah fuck that it’s based on Reddit impressions or some nonsense. But Bungie did announce a mill’s worth of preorders for the new expansion and that sounds like a lot of crackheads.

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

I see there are as many well-informed takes about the popularity of Destiny floating around here and the rest of the internet as there were about Call of Duty two weeks ago.

I mean, I don’t play either of these games but I’m well aware they are still massively, massively successful properties that make vast sums of money every day - how on earth are there so many people who don’t get that? 

I dunno, Destiny 2 is in the biggest slump its ever had and they keep on making it harder and harder to be a new player now - you can’t even play the original Destiny 2 anymore so there is a lot of backlash so i think its the odd timing of it all, they are clearly a difficult dev team as MS and Activizion were both happy to let them go.

I say this as a former Destiny addict, less so on Destiny 2 but i still own most of it and keep nearly buying the new content…

If you assume they are paying £10 a season every quarter, plus the cosmetics shop and the extra £30 they made everyone pay for one dungeon……..and then the maths are every bit as nonsense as when we were trying to figure out how many Gamepass subs Microsoft needed for their ROI over in the other chat

Ooooh, I just had an exciting thought. What if Sony commissions Bungie to make something for PSVR? Bungie are best in class for FPS gameplay, and Valve have proven you can bring great FPS gameplay into VR (Alyx), imagine what Bungie could do!

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean that's pretty good for a slump.

Its more that its at the tail end of it biggest slump and people are saying its very hard to go back to it or start as a new player so they dont expect it to pull the numbers it did before. But even so its hardly a poorly played game but more that if I were Sony id want to know why it performs so badly on their systems compared to xbox given the user base disparity, seems an odd choice to go in for big bucks to buy a studio that makes a game barely anyone on your own system?!?

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its more that its at the tail end of it biggest slump and people are saying its very hard to go back to it or start as a new player so they dont expect it to pull the numbers it did before. But even so its hardly a poorly played game but more that if I were Sony id want to know why it performs so badly on their systems compared to xbox given the user base disparity, seems an odd choice to go in for big bucks to buy a studio that makes a game barely anyone on your own system?!?

I may be misunderstanding you, but doing worse on PlayStation? 

Relative to installed console base, Xbox tends to outperform when it comes to FPS. PlayStation usually massively outperforms when it comes to JRPGs. The history of each platform still plays a huge role in terms of how certain genres sell on it.

On 31/01/2022 at 18:17, HarMGM said:

I can see the reasoning behind this purchase for Sony. GAAS has performed very well on PS platforms. Them keeping Bungie multi is pretty surprising though.

I’m kinda confused. Firstly I used to love Halo but I can’t stand it now but I have respect for who bungee were. I just do not care for Destiny but I understand it’s popular.

I guess Bungie’s deal for 500 million? For 10 years is over and this is where they go next.

Why would you buy a studio, keep it independent, let it be multi platform?

Why wouldn’t you just pay them to make you a game? Same goes to Microsoft. “‘show us what you got…..ok we like this, here’s 200 million, make it a banger”

Sony made a lot of mention about their tech though. Perhaps Herman wants to slide it into the Horizon engine and give it to Kojima.

It’s interesting that so many people have mentioned destiny being tough for new and returning players. I tried to play GTA Online recently and that game offers you no guidance on how to play, I figured maybe I just needed to buy cash, but when a deal came up in the sale with a shark card I grabbed that, and even when you have money it’s kind of impenetrable. I have no idea what to spend my money on or what to do or how to play. So clearly that’s not a deal breaker for the popularity of an online game.

It’s quite interesting seeing the questions being raised on here and on Twitter (although in much less eloquent “lol all that money for one game” tweets) when Jim Ryan has been pretty explicit. I mean the following is as close as you can get in corpo speak to “we want to make games like this and we literally don’t know how”:

They make massive, immersive games that have no end. Whereas PlayStation's strength, as you know, is in the single-player, narrative-rich, stories.

[….]

when you have the potential to have a partner like Bungie who has been there, done it all before, learned the lessons and have got this wonderful, brilliant team who is there and has the potential to help us... we think we can take something that would have taken a certain number of years, and significantly decrease the time it will take to get it right."

(From here: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games)

I think people underestimate that making live service games is really fucking hard and takes a load of people with very specific skillsets to do it.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

It’s interesting that so many people have mentioned destiny being tough for new and returning players. I tried to play GTA Online recently and that game offers you no guidance on how to play, I figured maybe I just needed to buy cash, but when a deal came up in the sale with a shark card I grabbed that, and even when you have money it’s kind of impenetrable. I have no idea what to spend my money on or what to do or how to play. So clearly that’s not a deal breaker for the popularity of an online game.

Yeah it clearly appears to work in spite of itself, perhaps because it’s so opaque, maybe that’s part of its success. 

I have no idea how much money Destiny makes but I’m guessing it’s a lot. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Would have been cheaper to poach key staff. Not all 800 of them are going to be experts in Gaas stuff. 

You better ring Sony and tell them quick!! They obviously haven’t thought of all the things you have .

If the last 2 years have shown anything it's that if your management is utter dogshit and out of touch the games are going to suffer. Battlefield 2042 is the plainest example of shit going off the rails at a high decision making level. For all Destiny's perceived problems it's still got rock solid rational behind their decisions of where the game is going and what it should be. The problem with it, as has been said at length, is that if you're new you've got zero fucking chance of comprehending what the hell you do in the game. Maybe Sony's suite of development talent can help with that.

12 minutes ago, PaB said:

You better ring Sony and tell them quick!! They obviously haven’t thought of all the things you have .

Oh noes Pete Brant takes opinion for hard fact.  You may as well quote every opinion on this forum with the same shit response! 

Destiny 2 needs an Iron King thingy moment (is what what is was called) that basically is a good point for people to jump back in at the tail end of years of content, fixes and tweaks. I played maybe 80-100 hours of the base game and first season pass and kinda fell off the wagon then and never found a good inviting point to get back in.

7 hours ago, Broker said:

I do wonder if new players end up getting into the games through watching streamers play them. In this sense they probably already know how to play the game as they will have watched someone else do it. I know when my son and his mate got into Destiny 2 they just watched a load of videos on youtube to work out how to play it and the best ways to level up etc. I'm always amazed when I playing a game and my son (13) will walk in and go you do know that if you do x you will get y quicker. I know he hasn't played it at all, it'll just be something one of the youtubers he is watching will have played.

I think there is certainly an acceptance for the younger generation that anything they need to know they can just find out on youtube, they almost don't expect it to be explained in game. And to be honest with the way these games change all the time it almost becomes the defacto way of explanation now, as opposed to tutorials in the game.

I remember when I got into Warframe as an example the only way to understand anything about that game was to watch YouTube videos on it.