IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

7 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

US/UK have traditionally seen better sales for Sega and Microsoft. Mainland Europe slants more towards Nintendo/Sony. 

(This infuriated Dutch game journos during the 360 era, when they all wanted to write about Xbox, but the general public only cared for PS3.)

Ah gotcha yeah.

I was quite surprised to see it all on Twitter I have to say. 

Sony buying Bungie wouldn't be particularly surprising or interesting. Sony buying Bungie and them remaining functionally independent is.

On the face of it this is a fairly innocuous acquisition, so I suppose I'm fine with it. It isn't immediately obvious what Sony get out of the deal, but I guess it comes down to:

• Betting that Bungie will be worth more X years from now.
  • Ensures nobody else takes them off the board.
  • Can leverage Bungie's experience with 'live' games across internal Sony studios; whatever problems Destiny might have, it's still doing better than most.

Basically this seems like a good deal for Bungie right now and should help them with that new IP they've been working on for a while. Not sure what Sony's return will end up being, but I can see how it might work out well in the long run.

Seems like a defensive move to me, which people are suggesting can’t be the case because it would have been in the works for a few weeks (unless Sony had insider info?)

Everyone gleefully pointed out how many people exclusively play CoD on their consoles, but I guess we forgot about the people who exclusively play Destiny. From the statements made by both corporations all of it is staying multi platform anyway.

I'd had hoped this meant Bungie would make a traditional game again sometime (ie not Gaas/Live/MMO-ish) but the Ryan quotes don't give me much hope. 

Anyway, the funniest theory I've seen floating around is that Sony is keeping Bungie multiplatform to "put pressure on Microsoft" and thus "force them" to also keep Elder Scrolls 6 multiplatform. Smart!

Sony buy the company that Activision weren’t interested says something, I think. Didn’t they let them terminate their agreement early?

I think my take is probably coloured by me not being remotely interested in Destiny, but this probably has something to do with Sony wanting to diversify from the blockbuster model and into the GAAS space.

I wonder what the D2 player counts are. 

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sony buy the company that Activision weren’t interested says something, I think. Didn’t they let them terminate their agreement early?

I think my take is probably coloured by me not being remotely interested in Destiny, but this probably has something to do with Sony wanting to diversify from the blockbuster model and into the GAAS space.

I wonder what the D2 player counts are. 

To be fair Activision haven't been making sensible decisions for a few years now.

I can see why Bungie would change their mind and now want to be acquired - it's been increasingly clear for a while that they can't quite support what they want to do with Destiny with the resources and monetisation that they can support. Between season passes, cosmetics and expansion packs it's a confused mess of setups (with almost no way of getting new players in and up to speed) and a game that's really creaking around the edges.

I'm not so clear on what's in it for Sony to have bought them. Obviously they know how to make an FPS, and have a lot of experience with GaaS. But I wonder how extensible that experience is going to be (as noted, Destiny is a fucking mess.)

Destiny in its current safe is practically impenetrable for new players, I have tired a few times now and while the gameplay mechanics are top of its class,  discovering what a new player is supposed to do first is just so overwhelming and needlessly complicated.

The idea that Bungie is somehow 'slutty' for changing hands that many times is quite weird. Initially they were part of the old Xbox, which is a completely different beast to modern day Spencer Xbox. They (rightly) left because Microsoft was not exactly good with games/studios. Then Activision came along as a scaling ticket out to do Destiny and it turned out that was trying to fold them into a similar kind of shape, so they got out of that.

To me it seems they've finally reached a spot where they can do what they want with the (financial) support they need. Could it have been Microsoft again to provide that comfort? Sure. I expect Spencer to be a lot smarter about things these days, but returning to Microsoft would also have meant Halo. Again.

Regardless, this greasy chicken farm Tenno will not be playing Destiny. :P

I think Bungie will have gone into this trying to maintain their independence as much as possible. When they were bought by MS they fought tooth and nail to stop being assimilated into the Microsoft machine and avoid the fate of FASA, and the deal with Activision was purely a publishing thing that meant Bungie kept ownership of all their IP (which shows what a strong position they must have been in when they left Microsoft). I can’t imagine they’ll want to compromise their independence - they’ll have seen what happened to Evolution and Japan Studio - so I would hazard a guess Sony will have agreed to stay hands off. 

Like the Microsoft acquisition I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to feel about it. I never really got into Destiny but maybe they've got something else up their sleeve which will be a winner for Sony. I guess with Microsoft's massive FPS roster now, it's good to see Sony having a foot in that door and it adds some diversity to their lineup.

I guess my reaction was somewhere between surprise, frown and a worried smile (if that's possible).

image.png.39101061d600145f50d2396913e79b41.png

39 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

They (rightly) left because Microsoft was not exactly good with games/studios.

Is that right? They left after Reach when 360 was top dog. I thought they left because they were a prestige developer that thought they could get rich by going out on their own - turns out they were right and I don't begrudge them doing it, but I remember at the time the narrative was that they didn't want to make Halo games forever and that's all they'd do if they stayed at Microsoft. 

I suspect they will have looked at Lionhead, FASA, Rare and Digital Anvil (and others that Microsoft absorbed) and thought that this wasn't where they wanted to end up.

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Is that right? They left after Reach when 360 was top dog. I thought they left because they were a prestige developer that thought they could get rich by going out on their own - turns out they were right and I don't begrudge them doing it, but I remember at the time the narrative was that they didn't want to make Halo games forever and that's all they'd do if they stayed at Microsoft. 

360 was doing very well, but until Spencer took over Microsoft was more known for buying up studios and shuttering them/letting them rot away. It's kind of insane if you look back to the '00s and what Microsoft was (not) doing with their studios. They shuttered Ensemble, put Rare on Kinect duty, FUBAR'ed Lionhead, and soured their relations with Bungie to the point that they moved away. Even the work-for-hire studios kind of drifted away to competition.

It only started to change when Mojang came along.

13 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

If you're trying to stop rllmuk from reflexively asking for remakes of PS2 games as essentially conversational filler I've been on that beat for a while and it's fucking impossible.

Bring back Ring of Red! :blah:

37 minutes ago, tronied said:

I never really got into Destiny but maybe they've got something else up their sleeve which will be a winner for Sony.

Literally all they need to do is remake Destiny so it has no silly points system, stick it in a proper Halo-style one player campaign and they would have a winner.

23 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Literally all they need to do is remake Destiny so it has no silly points system, stick it in a proper Halo-style one player campaign and they would have a winner.

Despite the actual season by season story and cut scenes being generally regarded as terrible there's absolutely scope in the Lore for so many single player games. Dig into that and you're gold.

Bungie always had a very independent streak, people are saying they went exclusive due to things going on around 2011, but you can go back and there's statements from a decade earlier whatever where they're moaning about being owned and being weirdly hostile considering they're the ones who fucked up and had to be bailed out of bankruptcy and owed a lot of their success to being a console launch title. Like they weren't a Halo factory at that point or had anything negative to point to, it's like there was a bit of the inherent Mac vs Windows hostility there from the early 00s where that probably seemed like the most important issue in the world if you were a nerd.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I can see why Bungie would change their mind and now want to be acquired - it's been increasingly clear for a while that they can't quite support what they want to do with Destiny with the resources and monetisation that they can support. Between season passes, cosmetics and expansion packs it's a confused mess of setups (with almost no way of getting new players in and up to speed) and a game that's really creaking around the edges.

I'm not so clear on what's in it for Sony to have bought them. Obviously they know how to make an FPS, and have a lot of experience with GaaS. But I wonder how extensible that experience is going to be (as noted, Destiny is a fucking mess.)

The one that interests me is what becomes of the investment from NetEase. That's presumably predicated on some RoI that requires at least a PC release?