Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

I'm surprised at the talk of Bungie developing a Killzone reboot (much more so on Twitter, than here). If you have a developer of the pedigree of Bungie, you give them a blank slate and let them create something fresh, you don't tie them to an old PS2 era IP!

4 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I'm surprised at the talk of Bungie developing a Killzone reboot (much more so on Twitter, than here). If you have a developer of the pedigree of Bungie, you give them a blank slate and let them create something fresh, you don't tie them to an old PS2 era IP!

Everybody just wants Edge to write about a Halo killer made by the Halo makers.

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I mean it's free to play, but sure.

It’s really not. They’ve stripped out all the free content. There’s a shell there you can download without paying. 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

An optional expense to flesh out a pretty threadbare free experience? You've just described pretty much every other F2P game. And that doesn't change the fact that it's listed on every storefront as free to play. Or if you prefer, "Starting from £0.00 depending on how many other expansions and seasons you're interested in." Again - no different to any other F2P title.

It’s really not like a standard F2P game, most major free games on consoles have the entire game for free with optional payments for cosmetics. I can play Apex, Warzone, Fortnite etc without ever needing to pay. Try that in Destiny and you’re constantly walking into walls that tell you that you need to pay. 

Destiny has a messy mix of everything. Battle passes, paid cosmetics, DLC expansions, £70 special editions. The free version is barely a demo. 

Bungie keep jumping from rich partner to rich partner, with the next one thinking, “yes maybe this is the one I’ll settle down with and allow me to at my creative best”

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

If you're trying to stop rllmuk from asking for remakes of PS2 games as essentially conversational filler I've been on that beat for a while and it's fucking impossible.

Hey, you know as well as anybody I've done it myself in the past, with my annual belly aching for a Psi-Ops sequel. :P

I think it's similar to when people long for reunions of their favourite old bands or sequels to their favourite childhood movies. Aside from the pure nostalgia value, what people are really looking for is to feel like they did when they first experienced those things and that's why these remakes or sequels to old IP's rarely satisfy anybody when they do actually happen.

Ultimately, the best shot we have at recreating those feelings is to give talented devs the space and resources they need to surprise us all over again.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug though and I'll be the first to admit it's one I have a weakness for.

21 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

If you're trying to stop rllmuk from reflexively asking for remakes of PS2 games as essentially conversational filler I've been on that beat for a while and it's fucking impossible.

yeah but what kind of madman is nostalgic for a Killzone or a Resistance reboot?!

I can only think of Critchstand, but even he isn’t that mad.

5 minutes ago, footle said:

yeah but what kind of madman is nostalgic for a Killzone or a Resistance reboot?!

Insomniac proved their FPS credentials with Resistance 3 though. I'd be perfectly happy to see them carry on that franchise or create a new game in the genre. The bullseye was just so much fun to use.

It's a good acquisition for Sony.  I never persoanlly got on with Destiny.   But the gunplay was amazing still. Excited to see what's nxt for them as well as what new directions Sony send them off on too.   More games for us to experience.   Possibly more games on a future Sony subscription.   Moar competition please. Fight for my money fuckers.

3 hours ago, Halo said:

Destiny studio will remain multiplatform, able "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play"

So why did Sony even bother?

Unless they were afraid MS would I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

They literally said so in their blogpost: freely share expertise and tech with their other studios. (Fun fact: that’s how Killzone 2 got made.)

Not to talk down the acquisition but if you have ever chatted with some Destiny addicts discussing Destiny. They speak a secret language that is completely impenetrable to non Destiny addicts. They are completely addicted though and that I can appreciate. Bungie are wizards at the old digital crack.

27 minutes ago, footle said:

I’ve just bought a Series S so I wouldn’t be so sure! Lol

Never played Resistance. I was all about the 360 and didn’t own a PS3, I’m assuming that’s what it came out on? I was more a fan of the original PlayStation.

5 minutes ago, K said:

Buying Bungie and getting them to develop a Killzone game would be like buying Amblin and making Spielberg direct a sequel to Mac & Me.

I just reenacted the Michael Jordan laughing gif! :lol:

14 minutes ago, K said:

Buying Bungie and getting them to develop a Killzone game would be like buying Amblin and making Spielberg direct a sequel to Mac & Me. Like, Sony already have a developer who can make Killzone games, and they stopped making them when they discovered a way to make games that were much better and more popular than the Killzone games. Why on earth would you pay $3.6bn for a developer to put them to work making more Killzone games? You may as well buy a Michelin-starred restaurant and get them to microwave you a happy meal. 

Not sure if it’s an age thing or a regional thing but there seems to be so much nostalgia for those 7/10 PS3 era games that we’re not really aware of on here because we all had 360s.

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Not sure if it’s an age thing or a regional thing but there seems to be so much nostalgia for those 7/10 PS3 era games that we’re not really aware of on here because we all had 360s.

I’m not sure it’s nostalgia. Stockholm syndrome?

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

UK isn’t mainland Europe. ;) 

37 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Well perhaps they would have a popular FPS developer that would be a pull to a Sony service? Think this is ultimately the beginning of a service competition. Hardware is so yesterday. :D

4 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

How big is Bungie nowadays?  How many different teams could they spin out of them?  They can't al stil be wanting work on Destiny for the next 10 years right?

800 or so I think. Pretty big for a single developer! 

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I don’t follow sorry?

US/UK have traditionally seen better sales for Sega and Microsoft. Mainland Europe slants more towards Nintendo/Sony. 

(This infuriated Dutch game journos during the 360 era, when they all wanted to write about Xbox, but the general public only cared for PS3.)