IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Will they? Where does it say that? 

Which part are you asking about? It looks like I got it wrong about Sony having exclusivity on whatever Bungie is working on aside from Destiny. It would appear Bungie retains complete control over what systems they publish on. It's all in their FAQ.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50989

Q. Will any announced seasons, events, packs, or expansions be changed or impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?

No. Bungie retains full creative independence for our games and our community. Our plans for the Light and Dark Saga are unchanged, all the way through The Final Shape in 2024.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?

No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

Just now, Alan Stock said:

Pretty amazed at the price tag here, is Bungie really worth that kind of money?

Apparently so.

To be fair to Sony, they obviously have a better idea of its worth than random people on the internet like I do.

11 minutes ago, robdood said:

If From Software ever get bought up, I'm going to cry for days

It already is. By Kadokawa. Which in turn is partially owned by Tencent, Bamco, and Sony.

20 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Deal has been in the works for about 6 months, more acquisitions to come. 

I’m not quite which way we’re supposed to take that comment about expecting more. :lol:

1 minute ago, layten said:

Apparently so.

To be fair to Sony, they obviously have a better idea of its worth than random people on the internet like I do.

Without a bit of amateur speculation, it's hard to know what the hell we'd all be discussing though. :lol:

It strikes me as this buyout being mainly a preventative measure, to make sure Sony doesn't lose rights to publish yet more FPS brands - seeing as how Microsoft were potentially going to buy Bungie and have bottomless wallets. Now Sony has secured at least one big FPS name, I wonder if they'll seek to acquire any more (although to be fair, I can't think of many FPS devs that aren't already owned by the big 5).

Just now, MattyP said:

Interesting. Konami? Capcom? Square?

Now a new Silent Hill exclusive to PlayStation using the adaptive triggers of the Dual Sense. Wild speculation but that would be nice.... :)

Said this numerous times now but, it’s clear Sony are hand picking quality developers, the best of the best, that are capable of making true AAA quality games and coming up with brand new IP to boot. I’d wager that they’re going to drop some proper bombs that will shock a lot of people fairly soon.

Again, Microsoft are obviously chasing quantity over quality so they have numerous titles for Gamepass. They seem to be behind the curve and not very forward thinking. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out.

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Said this numerous times now but, it’s clear Sony are hand picking quality developers, the best of the best, that are capable of making true AAA quality games and coming up with brand new IP to boot. I’d wager that they’re going to drop some proper bombs that will shock a lot of people fairly soon.

Again, Microsoft are obviously chasing quantity over quality so they have numerous titles for Gamepass. They seem to be behind the curve and not very forward thinking. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out.

remember, last week it was “brands everyone associate with PlayStation who are basically Sony first party already”. You’re not really a reliable witness to your own words.

17 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Lol. Was gonna say.  I’m sure I saw the same fucking names in that other thread with their expert opinions and genuine concerns. 

Do you have a binder filled with people who have different opinions? I mean... I am impressed! 

Over a quarter of spending on the PS store in 2020 was gaas stuff and they don’t have one of their own.

Just in case anyone was still under the impression this was about COD or first person shooters.

edit: Still, there’s no harm in throwing up a Killzone Reboot “developed by Bungie” jpeg on Twitter when you next need to break the internet.

44 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Another week another acquisition.  Le sigh.  Remember when the games industry was about teams of people making games?

It still is.

I know the who will H buy next discussions can be naff but it really isn't that long ago that industry discussion on here was all about who was going under next and if console gaming even had a future. 

This is likely great news for Developers in the Washington area. Microsoft and Sony will have to remain extra competitive in terms of developer retention, which will hopefully mean good staff perks and compensation from the studio's in the area. Not hugely going to affect us, but nice to know the companies will have to work harder to be better.

6 minutes ago, footle said:

remember, last week it was “brands everyone associate with PlayStation who are basically Sony first party already”. You’re not really a reliable witness to your own words.

No idea what you’re waffling on about there! Sony bought Insomniac who have proven their AAA quality with Spiderman and Miles Morales. They bought Sucker Punch who proved their AAA quality with Ghost of Tsushima which was a big hit. They’ve bought Housemarque who’ve made an all time great game and Rllmuk game of the year in Returnal. Again, proven AAA quality. They have Naughty Dog who are known for AAA and pushing Blockbuster games forward. They’re clearly choosing quality over quantity and charging a premium price for a premium product.

Microsoft are acquiring developers/publishers for Gamepass, so they have a steady stream of games for the service. A service that has a selling point, which gets mentioned all the time on here - “100s of games for a cheap price”. Quantity over quality.

4 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

No idea what you’re waffling on about there! Sony bought Insomniac who have proven their AAA quality with Spiderman and Miles Morales. They bought Sucker Punch who proved their AAA quality with Ghost of Tsushima which was a big hit. They’ve bought Housemarque who’ve made an all time great game and Rllmuk game of the year in Returnal. Again, proven AAA quality. They have Naughty Dog who are known for AAA and pushing Blockbuster games forward. They’re clearly choosing quality over quantity and charging a premium price for a premium product.

Microsoft are acquiring developers/publishers for Gamepass, so they have a steady stream of games for the service. A service that has a selling point, which gets mentioned all the time on here - “100s of games for a cheap price”. Quantity over quality.

I think they meant you mentioned Sony only buy studios they have worked closely with. Not saying they haven't here, but it's slightly different to insomniac. 

It's all staying multiplatform though so happy days! :)

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

I think they meant you mentioned Sony only buy studios they have worked closely with. Not saying they haven't here, but it's slightly different to insomniac. 

It's all staying multiplatform though so happy days! :)

I’ve never said that, just said that Sony are hand picking quality. It must have been someone else. No worries though! 

Yeah, I agree not really bothered what format the games are on as long as there is stuff I want to play. In fact I think there’s actually a decent differentiator between them all now which is cool. Nintendo have their classic games and unique hardware. Sony have big Blockbuster AAA games and cutting edge tech. Microsoft have Gamepass and seemingly more of a focus on PC style games.

50 minutes ago, robdood said:

I saw this one yesterday, which was a lot nicer to my graphic-designer-brain. 

1sebcxHn6uqGJYrWj4s70mUShnKUEjF51te2ZZ1U

That Ubisoft segment is just the word Ubisoft repeated about 50 times. Being John Ubisoft.