IGNORED

Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

15 hours ago, mushashi said:

They used to own SOE

Totally forgot about this, Sony used to be a big name in the MMO market. Before we all adopted the WoW model and everything become simpler and polished.

Fond memories of SWG, etc. Never did have a PC at the time capable of playing Vanguard.

On 06/02/2022 at 23:53, Majora said:

How are you defining massively successful here, because to my mind there have been loads of hugely successful non-service games released in the past decade. Unless you're discounting Nintendo games because reasons.

Even then, Sony's biggest first party stuff can get in the range of 15-20 million (Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, Spiderman).

$Billions in lifetime revenue.

PUBG - Billions in lifetime revenue across the various versions.

GTAV/O - $7+ Billion in revenue in ~8 years. The offline normal game alone would never come close to that.

Fortnite - has transformed Epic.

Even the biggest non-Service games can't compete, even Nintendo, though they are just effectively a generation behind everybody else when it comes to monetisation techniques, having moved to doing DLC now to juice their game profitability. I wouldn't be surprised if they move to try to include more MTX at some point, even if their mobile efforts haven't done amazingly financially.

Sony's Service games will likely be multiplatform, which is what you need to get to those obscene numbers.

We know what at least one of them is, as Jade Raymond gave an interview recently about what the studio she co-founded is making:

All we know about this new game is that it will be a persistent and evolving online environment accessible by a PC or a PlayStation console, like another popular online game from Montreal, but produced by Ubisoft this one, called Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege . The action promises to be quite different from this first-person shooter, given the mission that the leaders of Haven Studios have set for themselves, which is to promote inclusion and caring.

Some more info in French:

https://www.ledevoir.com/economie/670113/jeu-video-sony-mise-sur-montreal-pour-dejouer-microsoft?

It depends on how they measure success. There are loads and loads of f2p games that are actively being supported despite them not particularly being at the forefront of popular culture. Look at Hi-Rez. They have Paladins, Smite and Rogue Company off the top of my head. All f2p, all still active and supported. If Sony aim for a mid range kind of success they might hit with 2 or 3 out of the 10 or so.

If they're going after Fortnite, GTA Online and so on they're fucking deluded.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It depends on how they measure success. There are loads and loads of f2p games that are actively being supported despite them not particularly being at the forefront of popular culture. Look at Hi-Rez. They have Paladins, Smite and Rogue Company off the top of my head. All f2p, all still active and supported. If Sony aim for a mid range kind of success they might hit with 2 or 3 out of the 10 or so.

If they're going after Fortnite, GTA Online and so on they're fucking deluded.

I think James Stephanie Sterling said this best: “companies don’t want to earn a lot of money; they want to earn all of the money.”

I'd think it's more about potential for financial success with Service games, hence all the start-ups funded by private money or existing Service game companies.

Square-Enix's most successful games have been their MMOs, though they haven't done the biggest unit sales numbers.

Jim Ryan has lamented the lack of reach of Sony's games in the past, so this has clearly been a long term strategy shift:

“I hope that PlayStation 5, and I really believe the PlayStation 5 will be Sony’s biggest and best and most loved PlayStation yet. I hope that will happen,” Ryan said when asked about his hopes for the future.

“I would also like to see a world where the games that we make at PlayStation can be enjoyed by many tens of millions of people. Perhaps hundreds of millions of people. Right now success with the current console model, a really great PlayStation hit you’re talking ten or 20 million people being able to play that game.”

On 07/02/2022 at 15:23, TehStu said:

Totally forgot about this, Sony used to be a big name in the MMO market. Before we all adopted the WoW model and everything become simpler and polished.

Fond memories of SWG, etc. Never did have a PC at the time capable of playing Vanguard.

I actually loved Vanguard. The world was amazing it was just a massive shame the character models and combat mechanics were tripe. The political questioning game thing was quite good too in it.

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

I'd think it's more about potential for financial success with Service games, hence all the start-ups funded by private money or existing Service game companies.

Square-Enix's most successful games have been their MMOs, though they haven't done the biggest unit sales numbers.

Jim Ryan has lamented the lack of reach of Sony's games in the past, so this has clearly been a long term strategy shift:

thats only ever going to happen if they go FtP and multi-device, including phones.

Well, as it happens, there was another interview with Jim Ryan, where he said this:

“The thinking here is that our IP portfolio is in such a strong state right now, it seems perverse to restrict enjoyment of it to our existing PlayStation community,” Ryan said. 

Ryan said: “We are working on a number of models to open up mobile. You’ll see the first fruits of this sooner than you might think.”

So Service games and doing mobile, going beyond only the console.

It is weird that in only a few years we’ve gone from Sony being seen to be in this enviable position to them playing catch up.

I saw a stat recently saying even excluding mobile, these service games are now 2/3rds of console gaming and rising, you can see why they feel a need to course correct sharply.

18 hours ago, Darwock said:

The guy that shut down Japan Studios now puts efforts into mobile gaming. I don’t think I like this man.

I'd think who ever was in charge of SIE now would likely have made that decision as Japan Studio hasn't had a major hit in a long while and lost their crown jewel when Ueda left back in 2011. They still do have 2 internal Japanese developers, which happen to be the two successful ones, Team Asobi (the remaining part of Japan Studio) and Polyphony Digital.

The rest of Japan Studios external liaison work has supposedly been handed over to the XDEV division as they were looking for producers last year so in theory all the collabs they used to do can still be done, like their collabs with FromSoft.