Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6bn

Halo

That’s them shoring up first person output for PS5 then. Imagine they get given Resistance or the other “Halo beater” series I can’t remember the name of. 

Fingers crossed for something new though.

Crazy times.

January has been a hell of a month. 

As more and more of these deals happen it just makes the Insomniac deal look better all the time and that was still hundreds of millions of dollars. 

Crikey! There were rumours a couple of years ago that Bungie were looking for a buyer, and IIRC Sony were mentioned as one of the potential buyers. It makes sense that Sony would want to buy Bungie, as first person shooters are the one genre that's conspicuously missing from their lineup and Bungie are probably the only remaining independent FPS developer who haven't been hoovered up by someone.

I am slightly surprised that Bungie would do it after they spent ten years in the Halo mines being owned by Microsoft and a fairly long time extricating themselves, and also a bit surprised that Sony would want to tangle themselves up in a developer that have basically been continually making one game for the past twelve years. There's a lot of baggage with Destiny, although whatever they do next is presumably going to be pretty high-profile. But still - for me, they're the best developers out there in terms of making guns that just feel amazing to use. There is very little as satisfying as nailing headshot after headshot in Destiny, as you leap and glide underneath some eye-boggling skybox. For all that, Destiny 2 is possibly my favourite game ever.

2 hours ago, layten said:

Half a Bethesda for just a single Studio? The ActiBliz deal has spooked somebody.

It's a curious one, that's for sure. Either ZeniMax was an incredible bargain, or on a superficial level, it looks like Sony have wildly overpaid for Bungie.

I'm curious as to how badly Bungie needed to be bought. To me Destiny 2 only had 2 indicators that it might be on the wane; having to let go of their A tier voice talent and seasons getting longer because they struggle to keep up the content pace. 

14 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Them keeping Bungie multi is pretty surprising though.

I think like Microsofts agreement to keep stuff multiplat for the next few years it's more about hands being tied than anything else, their next project that Netease was funding was multiplat, and if that's a 10 year thing like Destiny then you're talking next gen at the least.

Also they kinda did this before with Kojima Productions.

13 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

It's a curious one, that's for sure. Either ZeniMax was an incredible bargain, or Sony have wildly overpaid for Bungie.

I think successful games with microtransactions that can bring in hundreds of millions a year are probably worth more than Bethesda dropping a $60 title every five years, that's where the money is in the industry at the moment.

If you’re not going to go single platform, or at least console and pc exclusive, why buy?

A really expensive defensive play against someone else?

(also, there goes the “Sony only buy people they’ve worked really really closely with on Sony IP” acquisition line)

Interesting. They lose COD so they’ve bought one of the two best FPS studios in the world. Keeping with their ethos of occasional big super high quality games compared to Microsoft aiming for a much wider output that’s more frequent but less premium. Sony trying to make themselves the Apple/HBO of gaming compared to Microsoft’s Android/Netflix. Seems like a good call.

16 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Everyone's immediate train of thought at this news:

Sony owns Halo! Holy shit!

Wait... Bungie don't make Halo any more.

I don’t think anyone under the age of 40 is likely to be thinking that :lol:

2 minutes ago, footle said:

If you’re not going to go single platform, or at least console and pc exclusive, why buy?

A really expensive defensive play against someone else?

(also, there goes the “Sony only buy people they’ve worked really really closely with on Sony IP” acquisition line)

Destiny might stay multi, but I’d bet they’ll get them working on something new that’s PS exclusive.

7 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Looks like some people are already doing their stretches to perform the full “actually the older Halo games were always shit” gymnastics.

Who's doing that in here? We all know the current Halo guys are shit, Sony brought their brother, Good Halo.

Just now, Broker said:

Destiny might stay multi, but I’d bet they’ll get them working on something new that’s PS exclusive.

You’d think, but the bungie faq is weirdly explicit. I assume PC/PS5…

I’d actually quite like a full PS5 exclusive - Bungie really going to town optimising for one bit of hardware and one bit only might be quite the thing, and perhaps they’d sort out a content pipeline while they did so.

Weird. So they're going to keep doing what they're doing, but with more resources and support?

14 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Destiny is dawgggg shit. 69.99.

I mean it's free to play, but sure.

I swear, I’ll start blocking people if this thread also degenerates into a Game Pass is good/bad discussion.

Also, guess they’ve now finally found a studio that would want to touch Killzone again.