IGNORED

Blizzard reveals untitled new survival game

Doctor Shark

Does seem a bit strange. Blizzards recent strength has undoubtedly been their IP so I’m not sure why they’d decide to start again. 

A Warcraft survival game? Hell yes. Not sure about an entirely new world. Then again, given how shit Warcraft’s story has been for the last few years maybe this is for the best. 

8 minutes ago, Radish said:

Does seem a bit strange. Blizzards recent strength has undoubtedly been their IP so I’m not sure why they’d decide to start again. 

A Warcraft survival game? Hell yes. Not sure about an entirely new world. Then again, given how shit Warcraft’s story has been for the last few years maybe this is for the best. 

Their last big release was literally a new IP in Overwatch :lol:

This raises an interesting topic I've been thinking about since the news last week. Are Blizzard still bastards? Sure, we know that bastards have been heavily involved in the corporation for a long long time but does the Microsoft purchase clean the slate in any way shape or form? Can you look forward to a new Blizzard IP, the first that will be under their new corporate overlords, without a degree of guilt? I know that MS have said they want to change the culture within their new $70 billion purchases but how long until ActiBliz are completely shiny and bastard free?

I doubt they’ll ever be clean but I think things will improve.

If the game is good I’ll be playing it. I never read any real horror stories about the Overwatch team (that’s probably some cognitive dissonance on my part because I love Overwatch) so hopefully this team is similarly bastard free. 

To be fair to Blizzard, they've undergone a leadership change and swept a bunch of trash out the door. They've been more pro-active in implementing changes than Activision at large or Ubisoft (in the sense that they've actually done something), and with former Xbox corporate vice president of gaming Mike Ybarra in charge, Microsoft is effectively already running it.

Where you draw the line is a very subjective thing, but Blizzard have at least done a good job of looking like they're moving in the right direction.

In terms of the news, it's nice to see Blizzard announce an unannounced game that is genuinely new. The survival genre is very busy, but it feels like there's still some room there for someone to come in and become the big survival game. I'm not convinced Blizzard will be the team to do it, but it feels like more fertile ground than making, say, a battle royale or whatever.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Their last big release was literally a new IP in Overwatch :lol:

I don’t have any faith in the current Blizzard to pull off another Overwatch (which came out nearly six years ago). Do you? My point is the Overwatch Blizzard doesn’t exist anymore. It’s the current Blizzard that has resulted in pseudo-sequel Overwatch 2 being stuck in development hell. 

There's more than one comment like this from ex-Blizzard staff who've been vocal about the awful things that went on. Positive signs for the game and company culture.  In this team at least. 

I think the survival genre is perfect for Blizzard-ification.

That is, taking all the best bits, stripping out the bloat, jank, combining it with an amazing art style and making it a huge mass-market success. 

This seems like it could be another World of Warcraft.

9 hours ago, Radish said:

I don’t have any faith in the current Blizzard to pull off another Overwatch (which came out nearly six years ago). Do you? My point is the Overwatch Blizzard doesn’t exist anymore. It’s the current Blizzard that has resulted in pseudo-sequel Overwatch 2 being stuck in development hell. 

I remember pre-Activision Blizzard. They were like pre-Microsoft Rare, but for the PC world. Their logo was one of the most reliable seals of quality ever.

We all do. Similar to pre-Cyberpunk 2077 CDPR. The label/brand is a little bit tainted. I have little faith in the current Blizzard (be it ActiBlizz, be it MicroBlizz. I've no clue what's going to happen structurally) based on their output of the last 5 years.

32 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I remember pre-Activision Blizzard. They were like pre-Microsoft Rare, but for the PC world. Their logo was one of the most reliable seals of quality ever.

They were more like Valve than Rare.

Things might get released.

Things might not get released.

What was released would be good, whereas Rare released some good stuff, but also a lot of crap.

Was the first real mis-step the real money auction house?

Hmm, it was definitely a misstep that they removed swiftly. Not sure how it ever ended up in the final product though, it should have been discussed and cut in the same meeting.

20 minutes ago, df0 said:

I rather enjoyed D3. Not entirely sure why people hate it so much.

Do people still hate it?  I remember lots of complaining about the auction house, being always connected and the graphics style not being grim dark enough.  None of that stopped me enjoying it at the time on PC or years later on Xbox with Mrs Monkeydog.

Honestly, no clue. I think most moved on to the next thing to hate. Stupid story but all in all I had a grand time with it. Gave up eventually of course, I can only do Torment runs so often before I burn out.

3 minutes ago, df0 said:

Honestly, no clue. I think most moved on to the next thing to hate. Stupid story but all in all I had a grand time with it. Gave up eventually of course, I can only do Torment runs so often before I burn out.

I hated the launch game. It was an unbalanced mess, even forgiving the RMAH (Wow!! So long since I've typed it like that!).

I loved it on the Switch. It's a great game now, especially multiplayer, and gets my full recommendation.

4 hours ago, footle said:

Was the first real mis-step the real money auction house?

In terms of public facing execution, yeah.  But that plus other stuff on Diablo 3 would have taken years to surface.  So I’m still pegging the acquisition by Activision as the turning point.