IGNORED

What have you owned the longest?

A question that occurred due to my response to the "Your most prized retro item" thread.

I still have the Grandstand Invader From Space LCD game that we were bought probably 40 years ago now. It's in its original box. A quick google reveals it came out in 1980, so I imagine it was bought around that time. I can remember it being bought from the local WH Smiths, but I was only 3 in 1980, so it must have been a year or two after that.

What's the longest you've owned a gaming item? Can anyone beat 40 years?

Grandstand Pocket Scramble.

Released in 1983. I could have got this any time between about '83 - '86. 
I still love it and I still think it's one of the best LCD games available.

scramble.jpg

The longest I have owned something is the C64 and games we got in 1985.

The oldest item would be a couple of Atari 2600 carts dating back to 1980, although I have only owned them about ten years...

Hmm I think probably my C64 and Spectrum stuff. My first C64 died a few years back so the one I use now is a replacement and my Speccy died way back in the day so it’s the games, joysticks, Expert cartridge, Atari trakball and a 1541 disk drive that I still have.

I think some of my Atari carts are from when I had them in the early 80s but I know I also got rid of some as well as the consoles way back.

Still have all my MD, SNES and GB stuff from back in the day.

edit: oh and magazines from early 80s onwards - C&VG, TV Gamer, PCG, Zzap!, Crash, Mean Machines etc

Mine's a Rowtron Television Computer System, which I *think* I got for Christmas in 1982, although it could have been the year before. It's in the garage in its original box. I'll have to have a look - maybe the receipt is still inside. :)

I also have a Bambino UFO Master Blaster Station LED handheld, which is older, but that doesn't count because it's one i got from a boot sale, not my original one.

Probably my ZX Spectrum +2. No idea when I got it but it was the first computer I ever had and was some time in the late 80s. The tape drive is knackered now. I keep meaning to buy a divMMC for it.

If Grandstand LCDs count then yeah, I have Afterburner, Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Karnov. Technically they're not just "mine"; they were shared in the family... although I think I bought Sonic 2 with my own pocket money?

I have a copy of C&VG somewhere that predates all computer/videogame stuff. It was the TRON issue, Sept 1982.

I got a VIC-20 that year, at Christmas.

I did have a Grandstand Astrowars for Xmas 1981. My sister has it (or did).

I don't think I have anything massively old, as most stuff all got sold or traded in for new consoles.

Still got my Gamegear as it wasn't ever worth trading, that's 1991, but weirdly only one game for it, which is prince of persia.

Although I can't remember how I ended up with just that one.

Can't think of anything older than that still floating about.

Technically speaking, our original BBC Micro and my Mk1 Atari Lynx are somewhere at my parents, but both are very broken, sadly.

The longest I've personally owned a console is my Sega Saturn. I still own the one I bought all the way back in '96. It still works perfectly, though has a 50Hz/60Hz switch soldered on these days.

I might still have a C64 (beige chunky original) and games slowly rotting in my parents’ attic. It’s definitely broken as it didn’t work last time I tried to boot it up in the 90s. There might even be some older LCD games up there. 

I don’t know what to do with it all when we eventually have to clear it out. I can’t sell it. It’s all so knackered it’s not worth anything. But it feels wrong to skip the lot as well.

Actually... thinking about it, technically my SNES might be the longest I've owned something... with a caveat. I originally got the Street Fighter II bundle, whenever that came out, but I do have some dim memory of sneakily swapping out my very yellowed console over with a much nicer looking one from our retro stock back when I worked for Gamestation in the mid-2000s.

I don't have an awful lot of electronic stuff from my early childhood as we were a bit on the poor side (cue violins etc) but the earliest game that I still possess is Grandstand Scramble which I think I got for xmas 1983. It still works but the box is in a bit of a sorry state. My brother has a working Puck Monster from 1982-ish.

On 24/01/2022 at 10:48, ScouserInExile said:

A question that occurred due to my response to the "Your most prized retro item" thread.

I still have the Grandstand Invader From Space LCD game that we were bought probably 40 years ago now. It's in its original box. A quick google reveals it came out in 1980, so I imagine it was bought around that time. I can remember it being bought from the local WH Smiths, but I was only 3 in 1980, so it must have been a year or two after that.

What's the longest you've owned a gaming item? Can anyone beat 40 years?

I have a Galaxy Invader 1000, also released in 1980, and quite possibly bought for Christmas that year. 

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/50267/Galaxy-Invader-1000/

I’ve always been bad for selling and trading my stuff, so the oldest console I own is my Crystal Xbox from (I’m guessing) 2003ish. I had it modded with a chip and 120gb HDD back in the day. 
My wife still has her childhood NES and Spectrum +2 which is pretty cool. No idea if they still work…