IGNORED

Too many games

strider

I knew I had a lot of games but I’ve just installed Gameye and logged all my stuff (including new systems). I’ve got just over 1,137 games which feels ridiculous (and doesn’t include the 90 odd limited run vita games in my loft). I’ve been planning to give my collection a good sort out and this seems like the perfect time to do it as I’m never going to have time to play all this. Des anyone else get overwhelmed by all the stuff they have or feel the need for a clearout?

6 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

Personally, no.  I love my collection.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my collection but I’ve got a lot of stuff. I just like the idea of it being more manageable.

I’m regularly overwhelmed by stuff, my games collection is 99% digital now (which itself can be overwhelming but at least doesn’t take up space) and apart from a 360 I no longer own any previous generation systems. I even cleared out my game pads to try and reduce their number and I still wish to have less. 

Keep what you’re going to play and move the rest on imo. 

You'll feel like that until it's replaced by the regret of selling stuff.

But yeah, clear out the stuff that's not really important to you and see where you stand - as you well know, old games are more accessible than ever.

7 hours ago, Death Adder said:

Personally, no.  I love my collection.

There are collections and there are games you actually play.

Owning 1,000+ (or whatever) games is much more about the “owning” part rather than the playing.

Which is fine, obviously but they seem like quite distinct things. If for example you have games stored somewhere difficult or tedious to access it’s because you want to physically possess them rather than play them.

7 hours ago, strider said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love my collection but I’ve got a lot of stuff. I just like the idea of it being more manageable.

Interested to know your take on ‘more manageable’?

I’m currently just over 1200 but outside of having them logged I’m not sure what you would do. 

If you’re planning on haven’t a cull what determines what you keep and what you sell? Surely there’s always a chance you may want to play something you get rid of? Otherwise you wouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

Personally I’m making efforts to get through the collection and I’m regularly posting in the ‘Currently Playing’ thread but don’t really have a desire to sell stuff off to make it ‘manageable’.

Various house moves have trimmed my “collection” down a bit - there’s nothing older than GBA and PS2 titles in there (and I buy games to play rather than to sit on and sell, so there’s no monetary attachment.) The daftest thing is that I don’t even have a PS2 now…

I like my collection and try not to buy games I don't think I'll play at some point. I see it as building up a library and the games themselves don't overwhelm me.

The problem I have is with ancillary stuff connected to the hobby. Basically tat that I've aquired over the years. I mean action figures and gaming related ephemera which I've bought or has been bought for me. I have boxes of that stuff in the loft and it does overwhelm me. It's too good to car boot but feels like too much to Ebay.

8 hours ago, strider said:

I knew I had a lot of games but I’ve just installed Gameye and logged all my stuff (including new systems). I’ve got just over 1070 games which feels ridiculous (and doesn’t include the 90 odd limited run vita games in my loft). I’ve been planning to give my collection a good sort out and this seems like the perfect time to do it as I’m never going to have time to play all this. Des anyone else get overwhelmed by all the stuff they have or feel the need for a clearout?

It comes down to the old "owning to play or owning to collect" debate. If you only own games to actually play them, then it's definitely worth having a look at what you have and giving some serious consideration to whether you'll actually play it or not. I got rid of a lot of my stuff because I realised that I either wouldn't play it, or there was a better way to play it than the original format. Yarr, avast etc.

Speaking of emulation - I have found that, when I have emulation set up, like SNES on my Wii, I have to have a small, carefully curated list of games on there. If I just dump a thousand ROMs on, I never actually play anything, because I have too many games to choose from. If I go "I want to play x, y and z" and only put x, y and z on the device, I actually end up playing, x, y and zelda. I didn't like Zelda.

I must admit I carry out frequent curation of my game collection, most of what I own are games I plan to play. If I feel I won't ever play it, then generally I find it a new home, then anything I really enjoy it stay's in the collection so I continue to own it while anything that just doesn't quite hit the right note's get's moved on. I don't have enough space in a fairly chaotic family home to keep or own every game I can. So yeah my collection is made up largely of games that hold a bit of a special place with me :) 

The problem with tech is it's all still too new. Previous generations collected books, VHS films, butterflies, thimbles....  (I know, what did we do before video games?).

But a collection of tech?

That Xbox OG you have in the loft, shrink wrapped, original box, unopened. Rare! Collectable!  Well, you know the hard drive has seized up and the capacitor is leaking acid all over the motherboard, right?  

Your Gizmondo's lovely soft rubber coating has turned to liquid. Your first gen DVDs don't play any more because of that glue they used. And those old consoles you've loved won't connect to your modern TV.

I stick to emulation now. I'd rather have a 256GB Micro SD card than an entire wall cabinet filled with games that I can't play.

48 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Interested to know your take on ‘more manageable’?

I’m currently just over 1200 but outside of having them logged I’m not sure what you would do. 

If you’re planning on haven’t a cull what determines what you keep and what you sell? Surely there’s always a chance you may want to play something you get rid of? Otherwise you wouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

Personally I’m making efforts to get through the collection and I’m regularly posting in the ‘Currently Playing’ thread but don’t really have a desire to sell stuff off to make it ‘manageable’.

I always buy everything now with the intention of playing it but I inevitably never do. I decided to start this year with an attempt to stop spending cash on buying more games so my plan now is to sell stuff in order to fund new retro items. I find myself with very little time nowadays so I'm looking at moving back towards focusing on shmups as they fit into my life better. I was recently going to go for every Switch shmup, but after hating Aces of the Luftwaffe I realised that was a waste of money so that's now been put on hold. I've also only got a finite amount of space (even with a moderately sized retro shed) so I'm planning to clear stuff so I don't have to start buying extra shelves etc.

10 minutes ago, dumpster said:

That Xbox OG you have in the loft, shrink wrapped, original box, unopened. Rare! Collectable!  Well, you know the hard drive has seized up and the capacitor is leaking acid all over the motherboard, right?  

Not to dismiss your points dumpster but this is just Schrodinger's cat and could be said of every unopened item ever ^_^ With these, it does not matter whether or not they work anymore, the value is in it being unopened. There are boxes of unopened cereal or even playing cards in the world that have fetched thousands at auction, I can't imagine the people that bought them opened them up as soon as they got home....

And those old consoles you've loved won't connect to your modern TV.

This has quite an easy fix really.... I mean, it's going to be a similar story with classic car's when everything's gone to electric or hydrogen.... You just have to take extra steps to ensure they continue to function in a modern world.

I stick to emulation now. I'd rather have a 256GB Micro SD card than an entire wall cabinet filled with games that I can't play.

There is also the fact that, well you most have physical copies of it all somewhere surely? Otherwise isn't this, well piracy? Considering a lot of older games now are being brought back in back catalogues for the xbox and Switch then unless you own the physical copies then there is quite the morale issue here surely?

12 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I must admit I carry out frequent curation of my game collection, most of what I own are games I plan to play. If I feel I won't ever play it, then generally I find it a new home, then anything I really enjoy it stay's in the collection so I continue to own it while anything that just doesn't quite hit the right note's get's moved on. I don't have enough space in a fairly chaotic family home to keep or own every game I can. So yeah my collection is made up largely of games that hold a bit of a special place with me :) 

I think that's a really good idea. I've gone down the ODE route for a few systems I have little love for and I'd love to get a PC Engine now but prices are quite prohibitive, so If I did want to go down that route and don't want to spend new money then something has to give :)

I logged all my stuff into Pricecharting and I have 130 games across 8 formats

For me i would rather have a small cuarted collections of games in mint condition over a wall of stuff I'll never play and my OCD can't handle damaged boxes and missing manuals and stuff. 

This photo is a bit out of date now but everything pre PS4 era which are kept in my front room fit on 3 shelves. I have an everdrive for MS and MD games, the ones I have here are either pack in games or stuff I couldn't get rid off like my og Streets of Rage 2. I'm definetely all for emulation for 16 bit and below.

PDPiQSG.jpg

My games collection has hit critical mass and I've decided it's time for a somewhat curated set of games. I went mad during the late 2000's while living with parents but earning a reasonable salary so I've got piles of stuff I'll either never play, or I tried and binned off because it didn't immediately hold my attention and I had thousands of other games to play. I was also guilty of buying large lots of games on eBay or Yahoo auctions over the years because it got me a couple of things I wanted a bit cheaper. This means I have a load of Japanese RPG's I am kind of stuck with.

I've boxed up a fair chunk of the stuff I don't want including a lot of the import stuff and some PAL duplicates. I'm planning to sell everything I don't want, but this is the part I find daunting. I don't know how I'm going to deal with selling thousands of games, especially when a lot of it is inaccessible if you can't read the text.

I guess the best way it to just start slowly and get listing stuff here and on other forums with eBay as the last call when I can't get rid of any more stuff.

@Luseth for me it's the difference between 'old' collectors and tech collectors.  You're right, people do collect the strangest things, but that 80 year old box of cereal isn't going to age in the same way a PSP does.  Those expanding batteries become a fire hazard very quickly. 

A collector of traditional antiques doesn't face the actual danger that old tech products can carry. A book might get a bit musty smelling but it's won't leak acid into your hands. 

And the whole "is emulation piracy" debate has been done to death here.  There's no more cost or damage to the industry in buying second hand or downloading.  As long as you're talking true retro where there's no opportunity to buy brand new, there's no lost sale in the process.

4 minutes ago, dumpster said:

And the whole "is emulation piracy" debate has been done to death here.  There's no more cost or damage to the industry in buying second hand or downloading.  As long as you're talking true retro where there's no opportunity to buy brand new, there's no lost sale in the process.

Yeah this is an interesting debate as well. If you're buying old games then the developers aren't getting your money. Of course that changes once they make stuff available, but just because it's available it doesn't necessarily mean it will be good (N64 emulation recently).

I am currently sat in my pretty large spare room WFH, against the opposite wall are a ton of boxes, crates and other containers full of my messy and rag-tag collection of bits I've picked up on a whim over the past 20 years or so. There's very little rhyme or reason to it, there really does need to be a purge, a boiling-down of the collection to what matters. 

There are things I do curate, like my OG Xbox and Wii stuff, plus I have a reasonably large collection of PS2 games (about 150) as that's probably my favourite console. The old computers need a proper sort out though. 

The trouble is I have found I'm more inclined to play stuff via emulation than get everything set up. In my old flat I had the PS2, Xbox and C64 permanently set up and ready to go which meant I would play stuff on that most weekends. Now it's all in boxes and difficult to get going, so getting Duckstation or whatever fired up on a Saturday evening is so much easier. 

Selling it all would be a proper faff though. Maybe when the weather is better I'll sort out my priorities, for instance I have a Megadrive 2 with MegaCD2 and 32X all swathed in bubble wrap, that's never going to get used again. 

15 minutes ago, dumpster said:

@Luseth for me it's the difference between 'old' collectors and tech collectors.  You're right, people do collect the strangest things, but that 80 year old box of cereal isn't going to age in the same way a PSP does.  Those expanding batteries become a fire hazard very quickly. 

A collector of traditional antiques doesn't face the actual danger that old tech products can carry. A book might get a bit musty smelling but it's won't leak acid into your hands. 

Yeah I won't get into the emulation piracy debate, I tend to find people have their opinions with it and it's unlikely you will be able to sway them so you are better off just not discussing it :D If we were discussing climate change I'd probably fight you a bit more :D 

I get the argument with regards to fire hazard's and the like, but I guess that's about people being sensible and taking better precautions I suppose, i.e. the psp battery being a hazard could be mitigated simply by removing the battery and storing it separately (and in area without temperature fluctuations and the like) and storing the console without batteries i.e. as I have done with my game boy's for year's. But not everyone will think to do that sort of thing I suppose.

But yes I do get your point on the differences between tech and old items if you like, it's not as simple as putting it in your loft or garage and it will be in the same condition in 10 years time.

I think that, unless you intend to use it, or to display it somehow, then collections easily fall into the category of hoarding. Most of my stuff falls into this latter category and I am taking action to get rid of stuff. I sold a load of old 8-bit stuff late year - mostly Sinclair items - and, at first, it was difficult. My mind telling me "But, but, you'll never find a Sinclair Interface II in original box with perfect poly's again!!!", completely ignoring the fact that said item had been sat unused and unlooked at in a cardboard box in a loft for two decades since I bought it in a collection in the 90s. It was a nice tangible thing to own, but I didn't need it. And since it was sold I haven't missed owning it. I spent some of the money I made on the clearout - which probably came to well over a grand in the end - on photography gear, which I do use. The rest went into my savings.

I've still got boxes more stuff to get shut of, the main thing stopping me is the effort required to test, photograph, and list it for auction, which is a massive chore. Financially it will be worth it though. In the end I'll still have a bunch of stuff, but hopefully things that I have a direct personal connection too - things that I owned at the time for instance, rather than which I collected years later and never used.

@strider You will be visited by three ghosts - the Ghost of Collectors Past, the Ghost of Collectors Present and the Ghost of Collectors Future.

The Past will tell you not to sell stuff off again, you will only have to buy it in the future.

The Present will tell you to look over there and start collecting something else.

The Future will tell you it’s wonderful to have access to so much digitally, but there are many games you cannot play any more without having a physical copy.

My collection is currently over 3000 games and taking up a room in my mother’s house. I know long term I might have to sell stuff. But over the years I have got rid of so little - gifted a couple of things to friends, sold a few duplicates on eBay.

Just to add, emulation IS piracy of course but piracy is a crime because of the harm caused.  And if I'm pirating Castlevania Circle of the Moon, a game I've already bought 20 years ago then there's no harm caused. The publishers, authors and everyone involved in the process makes no money from a second hand copy, or a pirate one.  I used to argue that pre-owned in stores was worse than piracy as the store staff would proactively promote a pre-owned copy over a new one.  

But times moved on and my own personal opinions on pre-owned/emulation/piracy didn't change much.

Then Konami did the Castlevania collection on Switch and I didn't buy it, and all my arguments turned to dust.

My collection is manageable.

My biggest software collection is for the Super Famicom/Super NES, and I’ll admit that I have games for that system which I don’t play often and some I haven’t even played more than once. But it’s my favourite system. If I’m owning a collection collection for any console, it’s this one.

My (much more modest) Mega Drive collection ended up being sold a year or so before the pandemic; realistically I will never be able to repurchase anything similar, short of a collapse in the retro market. The decision to sell wasn’t made lightly, even if the MD isn’t exactly my favourite games system.

Honestly, what keeps my collection manageable is 1.) the retro bubble; even pre-pandemic, the market was overheating. Some systems I’d have liked to acquire, had I the space (a NTSC N64 or Saturn, for example), but have missed the boat on. Most of my existing collection I basically have because I bought the bulk of it during 2009-12. (I acquired some stuff for cost of postage which would sell for a fair amount now, I realise.) I haven’t bought any sizeable amount of retro games for at least three years, just some loose Game Boy carts and a Super Famicom game. It’s just become  too expensive. 2.) Never having collected certain formats in the first place, mostly the microcomputer formats (was deterred by the issues with reading old tapes and disks, and much preferring console gaming).

15 hours ago, strider said:

I knew I had a lot of games but I’ve just installed Gameye and logged all my stuff (including new systems). I’ve got just over 1070 games which feels ridiculous (and doesn’t include the 90 odd limited run vita games in my loft). I’ve been planning to give my collection a good sort out and this seems like the perfect time to do it as I’m never going to have time to play all this. Des anyone else get overwhelmed by all the stuff they have or feel the need for a clearout?

I use everdrives (and ROMs on emulators too). I just feel I've got far too much choice. If I'm playing one game I think I should play another game. Think the term is opportunity cost.

I think I enjoyed games more when they cost 40 quid and I'd rinse the shit outta just one for weeks. (I can't be arsed with new games these days)

I also have too many games (no idea how many, I'd estimate I'm somewhere around 1,500) but trying to use things like the old collecting vs. hoarding to deter me from having my 'collection' seems silly to me.  They are my games, and I can do as I wish with them. 

To me, the crazy thing is suggesting that I am somehow doing something wrong, and that I should spend my own limited personal time going through the frankly hateful task of identifying which games I don't really want to keep, testing, photographing, advertising and posting them. 

Perhaps I feel like this because I'm privileged enough to have space, and don't need the money.   I'd rather have an incidental collection (in some cases of sealed games) than waste my playing time clearing it out, and potentially regretting it when I find I can't go back and enjoy replaying whatever when I'm older / retired and have the time because it's 10x the price I'm willing to pay for it at the time.

At one point, my wife was 'helping' me to clear out some stuff, and was amazed at my memory of some things, how much I paid, where I bought it and memories of playing it or talking about it or whatever over my life.

I agree @Corrangaeveryone should feel free to collect how they want to. I have a stop start mentality to collecting where I'll typically dive into something, buy loads of stuff and then never touch it due to lack of time. Granted, there's always the possibility that I'll go back to it some time down the road, but it's more likely I'll find something else to fixate. I'm happy being like this, but I'm also aware that it has limits so something has to give. If I keep on picking up everything that takes my fancy on the basis I'll eventually play it I'll run out of space. Transferring everything to the app has allowed me to really look at stuff and say, "Come on Darran, when are you ever going to play that?"

If there wasn't a pandemic on I'd have gone to the London Gaming Market again this year to sell off a load of stuff as it's actually quite cathartic when you start letting stuff go (for me anyway).