IGNORED

Your unofficial film trilogies

DirkCrisis

This topic may contain spoilers

What three films do you think run together well to create a trilogy even though they may well be completely unrelated?

For me, it has been the Nicholas Cage trilogy of Drive Angry followed by Mandy culminating in The Colour Out of Space.

Drive Angry deals in cults and demons which bleeds nicely into Mandy (dealing with the same themes), which also, at the end culminates in cosmic horror, which is a nice segway into The Colour Out of Space. Drive Angry is kind of a freak out all the way through for Cage's character who ends on quite a sanguine moment with the beer skull scene. The other two have pivotal freak outs which send Cage's character over the edge which I fee is a nice contrast.

Anyway, hit me up with your unofficial trilogies!

I watched Captain Phillips a few months ago, and realised you could make a trilogy of Tom Hanks films in which he plays real people whose professionalism helped them survive stressful emergencies involving vehicles:

Apollo 13

Captain Phillips

Sully

Spoiler

Although upon reading some more about the real-life events portrayed in Captain Phillips, not everyone would say that he acted professionally. Some of his crew filled lawsuits claiming that it was his reckless decisions that got them into the situation.

Apocalypse Now

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

The 3 best Vietnam war films ever made.

Or you could try the Frances McDormand Oscar Trilogy:

Fargo

Three Billboards

Nomadland

In the same vein, the DDL Trilogy of:

My Left Foot

There Will Be Blood

Lincoln

Hard Target, Broken Arrow & Face Off - The hollywood John Woo trilogy

Bloodsport, Kickboxer & The Quest - The JCVD Kickboxing/Karate tournament trilogy

Under Siege, Sudden Death & Speed - The other Die Hard Trilogy

2 hours ago, K said:

I’ve always thought of Aliens, Robocop and Predator as the holy trinity of eighties action films, and also the trilogy of films that me and my friends endlessly quote at each other. 

I'd swap Robocop for Die Hard. Loses the scifi, but for my money Die Hard is the best action film there is.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

...directed by Speilberg.

Tobe Hooper probably directed Poltergeist

Star wars ;The force awakens, the last Jedi  and the rise of Skywalker.

Set in the same universe with lots of the same characters  appearing in each these three have fuck all to do with each other plot wise  but there are some Easter eggs and subtle references to each other scattered throughout.

2 hours ago, Phantoon said:

I'd swap Robocop for Die Hard. Loses the scifi, but for my money Die Hard is the best action film there is.

Tobe Hooper probably directed Poltergeist

Tobe Hooper was physically there at least.

The “Steven Spielberg Presents…” trilogy, where he took the episodic nature of The Twilight Zone, but released as films instead of TV.

Gremlins

image.thumb.jpeg.ea8088ee19a046120089cb23497dc5c7.jpeg

Back To The Future

image.jpeg.be5f450a6f46a23b30bf4695e488fb76.jpeg

The Goonies

image.thumb.jpeg.d74c710c3afe0064db9f52c91810b113.jpeg

Three fantastic films, I remember them being heavily promoted as associated with Steven Spielberg, just shows how good he was at nurturing other talent! 

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Can anyone think of a third Daniel Craig film where he does an unusual accent, to go with Logan Lucky and Knives Out?

He has a South African one in Munich 

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Can anyone think of a third Daniel Craig film where he does an unusual accent, to go with Logan Lucky and Knives Out?

He also appears to attempt a swedish accent for all of five seconds in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before reverting to good ol' English. But if you want three films with american accents, Road to Perdition rounds out the three nicely. :)

As for my own trilogy:

Inception

Interstellar

Tenet

Modern, high-concept science fiction, all by the same director. 

16 hours ago, Darren said:

Ooh, good call!

The “otherworldly beings communicate with children” trilogy.

Nah, Poltergeist is supernatural.

It should be:

Close Encounters

ET

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Warren Oates’ Road Movie Madness

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)

Race with the Devil (1975)

Wherein our titular hero pits himself against satanic cultists, cartel assassins and a taciturn Beach Boy on crazy capers both north and south of the border!

28 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Nah, Poltergeist is supernatural.

It should be:

Close Encounters

ET

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I know, I was trying and failing to think of a catch-all term covering aliens and ghosts!

I've never seen Crystal Skull so that never occurred to me.