IGNORED

Streaming Services

Robo_1

Which Subscription Services Do You Use?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Back in the day, I remember the promise of Netflix was it being the industry's great response to torrenting. Pay us a monthly fee and we'll give you access to all the movies and TV shows you can eat and save you the hassle of downloading everything. It was a good response but as the years have gone on, we've seen more and more players turn up to the party and now you need to take out several subscriptions to get anything approaching the original breadth of content we had back in the early days of Netflix.

Now (as I've been squawking about in Discussion) competition is a good thing and the current situation was almost inevitable, but unlike music streaming where different platforms offer broadly the same content, there has been a real divergence of content on the movie and TV streaming platforms and I'm wondering what peoples habits are and which services are seen as indispensable and which are seen as optional.

Indeed the increasing number of competing services in recent years has actually seen something of a resurgence of piracy, which has itself evolved to become a streaming service than the convoluted systems of old.

How does the industry hold to what made Netflix a better alternative to piracy in the first place, whilst fostering competition in that space?

I think when Netflix started making their own shows, things changed. If they’d stuck to being the Blockbuster of streaming services, we might be in a better situation, with less fragmentation.

I remember reading an article in Empire when Netflix streaming first hit our shores, and there was a naive assumption that once a movie was on Netflix it was there forever.

I also subscribe to Arrow Player for fifty quid a year. To be honest, I watch more stuff on that than I do on Prime.

I share Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon with a friend. 

Saves a fortune. Disney plus is definitely my least watched out the 3. 

I don’t watch Disney as much as Netflix, but the difference is, Disney makes things I actively look forward to watching, whereas with Netflix I’m pleasantly surprised if I happen to come across something I enjoy watching. 

Also MUBI, which is a yearly sub for me. I think the only one I’d keep over that if I had to choose would be Prime as it has other benefits, but I watch Netflix all the time and I’d lose it if I had to choose against MUBI. 

Apple and Disney would be binned…in fact I may sack them off anyway now I think about it.

I have

Prime 

Disney +

Now TV

Netflix 

I keep meaning to cancel Now TV but now we've just started Succession I guess we'll keep it for a while. 

Prime is useful because of the delivery and kids fire stuff. 

Netflix I'm not hugely bothered about but my wife likes it. 

Disney+ I got at the special introduction rate which renewed at that price so I guess if I cancel I'll lose that price. 

I pay for Netflix, I’ve had 6 months of Disney+ free with my phone contract and we have Prime through family sharing. 

Netflix is best. There’s some good stuff on both Disney and Prime but the apps for both are atrocious and make browsing content a chore. 

Having apps like the TV app on iPhone and the universal search on Roku are nice for finding out where specific shows are available, but being able to just browse what’s on each service still needs a lot of work. 

I pay for Netflix. But have Prime from one brother, Disney+ from the other brother and Now TV (with Sky Sports) from my girlfriend. 

Also have Stremio on the firestick which makes the other ones redundant i guess. 

I haven't regularly bought physical media since before the pandemic, when there was one charity shop near me that had a huge selection of 4-for-£1 DVDs.

But the poll needs an extra option: "I regularly rent physical media." My library doesn't loan DVDs any more, but https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk exists, guys! Bonus features! Commentaries! No studio exclusivity! No unexpected rights expiration of things on your watchlist (as long as they've got at least one working disc in stock)! :wub:

I've never had Netflix. So I've never seen the Marvel series(!), Sense8, BoJack Horseman, or a few other series I'm interested in watching. I would still like to watch those at some point, but I've got enough things to watch on Disney+, iPlayer, and All4, plus my stream of DVD/BR rentals, plus my backlog of unwatched DVDs in my collection, plus things still on my PVR from years ago (see that other recent thread!), so it'll be a long time before I can justify subscribing to another thing where I'll feel pressured into getting my money's worth.

My history with the different services has been:

Lovefilm DVD rental: 2009-2017 (when Amazon killed it :angry:).

Lovefilm Instant Streaming: 2012-2014

Amazon Instant Video (as it used to be called!)/Amazon Prime Video: 2014-2020

(I was going to stop using Amazon when my Prime expired in summer 2019, but just before my subscription was due to end that got all of Bob's Burgers, so the bastards had me for another year.)

2018 to present: Cinema Paradiso

2021 (partway through Wandavision) to present: Disney+

Netflix, Amazon & Dinsey (although Dinsey is my brothers and he uses my Netflix)

My Apple TV sub just ran out but will probably drop on and out of this.

Regarding physical media, we have a fair few DVDs and BRs still but rarely buy any now. I pretty much bought all my favourite films on BR and before Disney+ was a thing, we were collecting all Disney classics and MCU films on BR. Haven't bought one since Disney+ launched though.

6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I think when Netflix started making their own shows, things changed. If they’d stuck to being the Blockbuster of streaming services, we might be in a better situation, with less fragmentation.

I remember reading an article in Empire when Netflix streaming first hit our shores, and there was a naive assumption that once a movie was on Netflix it was there forever.

This was all in the heads of people, the only reason Netflix could even offer what they did in the early years was because the copyright holders thought streaming was a non-meaningful revenue generating ancillary business so they gave their content away to Netflix for fuckall.

Netflix had no choice but to go down the content creation road, because otherwise, they'd just be a useless middleman.

Netflix, Prime, Disney, MUBI, Arrow, Apple TV+, and I still torrent a lot, because nobody's really catering for the Filipino exploitation movies from the '70s genre.

I don't really get a great value proposition out of any of them, but they all have just enough occasional content to make cancelling pointless. I guess that's where they get ya. What they need - and what I was always hoping Warners would bring to the table - is comprehensive back catalogues. Disney is best at this at the moment because they actually own a lot of content, whereas a lot of the others are on time-limited contracts for anything they don't produce themselves. I'm pretty much done with physical media aside from the occasional nice release of something special to me, and I do continue to buy all the MCU stuff even if I chuck the cases immediately and keep them in a wallet.

2 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Poll is broken. You can't select none for wither question, but I don't have any services I subscribe to occasionally.

Indeed, definite oversight there, sorry! I've quickly added it for future votes, I guess that might be one reason yaaar ranks so high for the "occasional" option!

I saw Netflix in the news just now, a whopping 20% knocked off their valuation due to lower than expected subs. It really is a volatile market in the streaming space right now.

Thanks!

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ for me (though there's nothing on Apple in interested in at the moment, probably ought to cancel that). We also use my father in law's Disney Plus account, and would subscribe to that if he ever cancelled it.

Don't occasionally subscribe to any. Though again, Apple might go in that category if I remember to cancel before Ted lasso or Foundation return.

Can't remember the last time we watched any of our physical media, let alone bought any.

22 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I saw Netflix in the news just now, a whopping 20% knocked off their valuation due to lower than expected subs. It really is a volatile market in the streaming space right now.

That's because they are stupidly over-valued, pushed up by the belief that everybody and their dog is going to subscribe in perpetuity and they can jack up the prices once that is done, mega profits forever so when the 'narrative' begins to look ropey, some people head for the door.

Disney suffered a similar problem and their management is now downplaying future potential subscriber growth.

I have Netflix (monthly sub), Prime Video (part of my phone contract but I don't get other Prime benefits) and Disney+ (yearly).

Disney is due for renewal in March I think, and I'm kind of on the fence about it, on the one hand we don't use it as much as Netflix but when we do use it it's often a whole family thing, plus my 7yo is obsessed with Encanto right now.

Like many here, it's Neflix, Prime and Disney for me.

I'm surprised myself but Disney gets the most viewing in this house. I originally got it just to watch The Clone Wars and Hamilton and thought I'd unsubscribe within a month or two, but a steady flow of decent Marvel and Star Wars content plus a really good back catalogue is keeping us onboard. Recently watched The Orville, finishing up a Buffy watch and partway through Agents of Shield, there's plenty here to keep me watching.

Netflix Originals are the big draw on that service, between The Witcher, Ozark and Lost in Space I'm fairly happy at the moment. But there are dry spells where there's not much I'm interested in, and I'm sure they're about to lose all their Star Trek series which will be my usual comfort viewing gone at a stroke. I haven't forgiven them yet for cancelling The OA.

Amazon Prime is just shit, we hardly ever watch it. They have a decent range of movies but their quality control is piss-poor. We tried watching Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey recently, it was like a bad VHS copy quality-wise and all the subtitles were out of sync. The Underground Railroad has been the only decent thing on here for years. And Jeremy Clarkson and all his gammony mates can fuck off.

The usual Netflix, Prime and Disney+ for me, the latter courtesy of my sister.

If I could only choose one, I'd be happy with any. Disney's come on strong since it added the Star stuff and the others have plenty of things I want to watch. In fact, I don't even have time to watch everything I want on just one of them, but it's nice to spend the money when I want to watch something specific, a bit like owning a PlayStation, Xbox and Switch together, I guess.

The only thing I miss out on that I really would like is the HBO stuff like Game of Thrones or The Sopranos, which I guess is only going to be on Sky for now, right? It's a bit too much just now to add another service even if it was just a free trial. I could pirate, but  i don't really bother these days; like I said, plenty to watch already!

On 24/01/2022 at 11:27, Garwoofoo said:

Netflix Originals are the big draw on that service, between The Witcher, Ozark and Lost in Space I'm fairly happy at the moment. But there are dry spells where there's not much I'm interested in, and I'm sure they're about to lose all their Star Trek series which will be my usual comfort viewing gone at a stroke. I haven't forgiven them yet for cancelling The OA.

Good news on The OA front:

https://whenetflix.com/the-oa

I've had Netflix since 2012 apparently.  Ten year aniversary this month, I see.  I've kept it for the original content, plus the stuff they get soon after the US has finished airing things on network/cable-lite.

It's markeldy worse now for movies than it was when I first subscribed, and the VPN blocking they had to do to appease content owners was fucking shit.  If it wasn't for their own content I wouldn't be a subscriber still.

I've had Amazon Prime as a yearly sub on and off for around 6 years I think.  That is only because of the free next day delivery and, again, their own content.  Their own content hasn't really been to my liking since the start of the Covid Pandemic (I did need to finish The Expanse, though), and I've decided to cut down on stuff I order from them due to their shitty treatment of workers, so I'm thinking of binning it off again as the usage I'm getting out of it is fuck all.

I had a few months of Disney Plus when it launched in the UK, but even with the stuff from STAR, I didn't have a huge ammount of new stuff on their for me to watch after I got through The Mandalorian, Loki and another couple of shows.  All the MCU films and Starwars films have been watched multiple times already, so the relatively sparse new stuff wasn't worth me keeping a sub up.  I'll likely sub for a month or two later this year after the Mandalorian has finished airing again and I can also watch the few shows/films that have been added since I stopped subbing.  I can get three months for £8 using Tesco Clubcard vouchers.

I've also got Sky Q with the movie package as Sky have the best movie offering of all services in the UK for my tastes.  It is way higher in cost though, but it's also way better to navigate than any of the other services and use for recording scheduled show airings.

I do also torrent the odd thing now and then, and it has gotten more often than it has been for years due to the Covid Pandemic forcing movie studios to offer new films on streaming platforms alongside/instead of Cinemas.  The ease of getting a 4K HDR/DV rip is making it too tempting than paying upwards of £20 to stream it just for me on my tod.  I'm not willing to go to the Cinema to catch Covid and wait 45 minutes until the film starts after all the shit we have to sit through and still have to pay a minimum of £11.50 to boot.  I do realise I have no right to demand things like this, but I rationalise it on the basis that I will (and have) been paying subscription fees to services which will get it in a year or two anyway, so I'm just being an impatient dick.

Over all, I am disliking the current push from film and TV studio's to bring out their own streaming platforms, each with their own £7-10 prices.  There's no way I'm going to be paying 7-10, £7-10, subs just to watch all of the shows I'm into as well as Netflix and Sky..

I hope the idea bombs enough that the film/TV studio's go back to letting content agregators license the films/shows again.

Personally I also think that we should be able to tailor Sky/Virgin packages to pick and choose the channels we want and not get price gouged for the privilege, instead of having to accept their pre-picked packages and pay for a load of shite channels that never get watched.

However, if that were possible, there would be a load of shite channels that would never get any viewers and would go under - so it will never be allowed.

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't think this is true, unless they are the only people who know about it.

Yeah, sadly this appears to be complete bullshit.

The OA has a very dedicated fan base and there's no way an unexpected revival of the show would fly under the radar like this.

On 23/01/2022 at 16:13, Nick R said:

But the poll needs an extra option: "I regularly rent physical media." My library doesn't loan DVDs any more, but https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk exists, guys! Bonus features! Commentaries! No studio exclusivity! No unexpected rights expiration of things on your watchlist (as long as they've got at least one working disc in stock)! :wub:

That's interesting to know as I'd assumed all such services had vanished!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to vote and / or respond. Interesting to see how many people sub to all of the big three. I guess that's the calculation that a lot of companies are making, that most people don't view it as an either or decision, but that many people are happy to just add an extra sub to their monthly outgoings.

Well, I doubt many would say they're happy about it.  Moreso I suspect it's a FOMO thing of sorts.

On 26/01/2022 at 20:30, JohnC said:

On 27/01/2022 at 07:55, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah, sadly this appears to be complete bullshit.

The OA has a very dedicated fan base and there's no way an unexpected revival of the show would fly under the radar like this.

Well, shit... :(

giphy.gif.b34ccff4c456a61a57e8baccf960dc6a.gif

Right now I have:

HBO Max (I'm in Denmark).

Disney+ (yearly sub).

Apple TV+ (free for about 18months due to various purchases).

Prime Video (cancelled on next payment).

Paramount+ (6-day trial that seems to keep going although cancelled..).

HBO is by FAR the best content for me. It really is quality over quantity. So many great series (old and new) and movies/franchises. Streaming quality is also very good now with their Max rollout. 

Netflix I jump on occasionally when I feel like catching up on something. But a bit too costly (4K quality) to keep permanently for me. I got HBO Max at half price permanently as long as I don't unsub which I don't plan to.

Prime is a lesser version of Netflix. Way too much dross with some good stuff inbetween. I rarely use it and have unsubscribed and will be back when the LotR series debuts.

Everything?

Sky Q, Netflix (as part of that), Prime (for the delivery), Disney+, Apple TV by accident - I let it renew by mistake, but then I’ve been using it for the best part of two years without paying.

(there are two of us though, and we have a lot of disposable income through “not going on holiday for two years”)

Of those, I barely touch Netflix or Prime most of the time, but then occasionally watch a whole series back to back. Apple TV is easily the weakest. I don’t bother with Sky Cinema, and Q is basically a nice multi room interface, a skiing/f1/cricket box and somewhere to watch HBO stuff.

I rarely watch physical media, and don’t miss the clutter, though a good UHD is certainly better - and noticeably better - quality.

The original view of “everything was on Netflix” only ever applied if you were using a VPN.

On 26/01/2022 at 20:30, JohnC said:

Netflix very rarely ever let stuff they cancel be shopped around to competing networks, it's the downside of Netflix funding things.

23 hours ago, krenzler said:

Prime is a lesser version of Netflix. Way too much dross with some good stuff inbetween. I rarely use it and have unsubscribed and will be back when the LotR series debuts.

I think this is maybe the case if you are only looking at their ‘in house’ productions, Netflix probably does edge Prime. For films Prime seems much better to me, and they seem much the same for external series.