IGNORED

Games you're embarrassed by

JamesC

5 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Pederasts are just as likely to be attracted to girls as they are to boys. I think most of us think of them abusing only boys is down to a litany of reasons. (The recent revelations of widespread abuse of boys in various churches, crimes against women and girls being downplayed, the sexualisation of girls in both eastern and western culture.)

Fair enough, my understanding of  it (i.e. from googling it a second ago because I didn't know what it meant!) was where only males were involved!  My bad. 

41 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Yakuza at least if someone is watching you can just avoid the pervy bits, generally the main story is fine.

Yes, if you stick to the plot things tend to be okay (although playing Yakuza without the side quests is like going to a steak restaurant and ordering fish). But the series has plenty of little sidesteps into embarrassing plotlines. You can be chasing a hitman through back streets one minute, and then suddenly find yourself running a hostess club and having to decide whether the girls are going to wear schoolgirl outfits or swimsuits for their shift, purely from the organic developments in the storyline.

Guilty Gear Strive and Bayonetta, though the latter especially is so over the top and schlocky that I couldn’t imagine anyone taking it too seriously.

Quiet taking a shower in MGSV. You wouldn’t want anyone walking in on you watching that.

I recall my then girlfriend's reaction to Deathsmiles. She shook her head and went "no no no", she didn't flip out but she was definitely uncomfortable. I would have left it if the game wasn't enjoyable and playable. 

I'm playing NieR Replicant at the moment. No incidents so far but I just know the other half's going to wander in during a cutscene and ask why one of the lead characters is wearing assless panties.

My ex-wife walked into the room when I was doing the torture scene in GTA V.  Totally shocked her - she had no idea games were that violent.

Only last week, our 13 year old asked her if he could play the very same game on his Xbox he's got at her house (he knows I won't let him).

He picked the one and only game she has actually seen, and the one and only bit she's seen is the worst part of the game :lol:

raw

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Are there any anime-styled games that don't have sexualised young girls front and centre? 

Attack on Titan maybe. Although it has plenty of weird naked giants 

Berserk Musou had an unlockable 'sexy wet t-shirt post-rape-catatonic Casca' outfit which was a fucking embarrassment. I was all like 'FFS Japan keep it in your collective pants(u)'.

53 minutes ago, Exidor said:

I'm playing NieR Replicant at the moment. No incidents so far but I just know the other half's going to wander in during a cutscene and ask why one of the lead characters is wearing assless panties.

Well, it's better than them walking in and finding you wearing them I suppose.

I remember an older relative walking in to the room while I was playing Guitar Hero.

Suddenly, the rock star persona bestowed on me by the game was stripped away and I was a grown adult making clicking noises with a Fisher-Price guitar toy.

2 hours ago, K said:

On a lighter note, my partner walked in on me while I was playing Sniper Elite at the exact point I nailed a 200 metre shot against the wind into a nazi officer’s testicles, and was being rewarded by slow motion Verhoevenvision footage of his nuts being ventilated. It was ultimately not that hard to explain - they’re Nazis! Fundamentally it’s not that much weirder than just shooting people in games generally! - but her initial reaction was utter bewilderment. 

It was all I could do to contain a proper belly laugh while I fumbled to make sure Teams was muted.

This kind of stuff doesn’t embarrass me any more, or rather the reaction it cultivates isn’t embarrassment. I think if I’m still playing the game then either I’m capable of having a conversation with someone in the room about how howlingly bad/actually contextually meaningful/whatever something is. But the DOA series advances really unrealistic notions about the female body:

Spoiler

8BF07CCA-FB25-441F-94DF-87A40A29E6F8.jpeg.b04a65670f157f3ab6c2bd943c6a7357.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Are there any anime-styled games that don't have sexualised young girls front and centre? 

Chrono Trigger. :P 

Advance Wars? I don't play it but it seems kind of "normal"?

3 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Yakuza. I love the games, but some of the side quests are definitely not for when the missus is on the sofa.

In a twist of fate I walked in on my wife while she was playing Kiwami 2's big baby sidequest and she just beamed a smile at me and said 'this game is AMAZING' 

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, I love the game but the level of 'fan-service' in the game is a bit much and it is actually a plot point that one of the characters keeps having accidents that end up with them in revealing positions. I was playing it on the train to work and actually felt the need to hide my Vita screen when the first accidental pose happened. 

This one will be controversial but...Super Mario 3D World on Wii U, I was fast approaching 40 and it was just one of those moments where you sort of look at yourself and go wtf are you doing? I was playing Mario he's in a catsuit making all his silly Mario noises every single time he moves or jumps with this stupid tray of a controller and my bubble was popped, suddenly I felt really embarrassed to be playing it, not played it since 😔

Dead to Rights (the original one) I LOVED this game when it came out, imported it for the xbox way back in 2002 when i had a US machine. I was 17, super into John Woo / HK style action at the time and this was hard as nails, had really loud, tense and exciting gun battles so I was so excited to replay it on my One X last year.

Anyway, there's a pole dance mini game on the 2nd level and it is so out of place compared to the tone of the rest of the game it's just flat out bizarre. It's like someone hire up said 'we have an M rating so stick some softcore in there for good measure' it wouldn't be so bad if it was just a short segment but it goes on for like a full 5 minutes. 

maxresdefault.jpg

So embarassing. Can't ever go back.

Lollipop Chainsaw. Some of my wife's female friends weren't impressed by it at all when a group of them came over. It's pretty much the only time I've felt embarrassed about my passion. (That's from an actual game point of view. Plenty of reasons to be embarrassed about the industry itself.)

14 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

In a twist of fate I walked in on my wife while she was playing Kiwami 2's big baby sidequest and she just beamed a smile at me and said 'this game is AMAZING' 

That was the day you asked her to marry you? 

57 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Berserk Musou had an unlockable 'sexy wet t-shirt post-rape-catatonic Casca' outfit which was a fucking embarrassment. I was all like 'FFS Japan keep it in your collective pants(u)'.

Jesus wept that's not true is it. Reading that bit of Manga was bad enough tbh. I can't imagine that being an unlockable. 

Mortal Kombat 11 and Injustice 2. 

For once, not because of the nudity or violence. In fact, MK11 upset some corners of the internet because the female fighters are covered up, unlike MKX that had a character skin that was the character wearing literally a single bandage.

It's the AI Fighter modes. You set up your character and let the AI fight against the AI. "So you just watch the game playing against itself?" "erm.... yeah" "and that's fun is it?" "ermm....."

The Banished are pretty embarrassing.

"Why do they all sound like Tasorface?", asked my giggling wife.  If she's reading next to me while I'm play Halo I can feel her 'that's so fucking childish' glance every time any of them speak.

Never mind the fact that she's into superhero movies enough to know who Tasorface is.