IGNORED

How to recreate this style of video editing

Sapa

I'm trying to learn some video editing tricks and curious how to go about creating similar effects to what's on this video. There's two videos parts of which are more transparent allowing the next layer to show through. Used throughout but defintely around 25-45 second mar

It looks to me like a mixture of Luma & Chroma keying on the shots. For example the shot at 3.03 has some green fringing around the space in the top layer of footage, I expect that was masked out on the shoot with some green material filling the space, and then they've used a Chroma key to remove it and create the transparent area. Then at 3.13 where the hair is transparent they've inverted the colour to make it a negative and used a Luma key to remove the lightest area. 

Edit: If it were me I'd be making that kind of stuff in After Effects rather than relying in those effects within standard editing software, mind. 

I think they've just picked a colour range and then masked/keyed those bits out so the footage on the layer beneath shows through. You could do that by picking highlights/midtones/shadows too which would work. It may also be as simple as just playing with the layer blending as that can give some interesting effects like this. It's a bit difficult to say as these are treatments that inherently have unexpected results, but those are definitely two approaches.

I guess you could also roto key out certain bits. It would be hard if you were trying to be accurate, but that's not really the aesthetic here. The shonky footage is doing a lot of heavy lifting here too, as that's hiding all sorts. Either use old video or find a set of actions that will rough it up. They've littered it with fake light leaks and overlays, and the editing is choppy and rhythmic. Half the battle is doing that with confidence.