Severance (not the Danny Dyer movie)

JohnC

Great series that raised some fascinating questions and put them into a very appealing package. My guesses tended to be in the right wheelhouse, but I don't think any were actually spot on.

That said, I'm also a little disappointed that this universe is about to get expanded. There are so many shows that I lost interest in once we got behind the veil and into resistance shenanigans, and I suspect this could go a similar way. It's just a less interesting, more formulaic part of that arc for me.

Spoiler

As soon as I paused the last episode and realised 9 minutes were left, I knew that (as good as the ep was), I wasn't going to get a lot of the things I wanted.

My hope is that they can at least keep it restrained to the 'office vibe', I think that's the key to the series. If there are OTHER Lumens around the world, that's where it could end up losing it's way. As long as they can restrain it to that building I think there is enough to keep it going to 2-3 more seasons to be honest.

What one of the pro-severance characters said in the last episode (trying not to spoil here), I hope that’s the end game, regarding Lumon’s plan for the severance procedure.

Would make for an interesting but also terrifying finale to fight against.

Just finished it, I love a program that ends strongly and man did this end strongly loved it. Surely the next series will continue the same story and characters, what's this about the universe being expanded?

The relevant innies and outies know too much now about peculiarities on their other sides so the story has to expand, which will pull in new characters. The next series will be about bringing their knowledge together.

Ok yeah I get that I’m just assuming that they’ll move into a phase where they try to thwart/escape from their situation. To be honest I just want more Milcheck really, what a beautiful man. 

15 hours ago, Minion said:

Just finished it, I love a program that ends strongly and man did this end strongly loved it. Surely the next series will continue the same story and characters, what's this about the universe being expanded?

Yeah, it's the claustrophobia and smaller ideas I like. The bottle-like nature of it. 

If it's anything like similar stories, our guys will uncover a convoluted wide conspiracy and Mark will be ordained as a quasi-Messianic figure to lead the resistance. And it'll lose the crisp Kubrickian aesthetic as we enter the real world.

4 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Yeah, it's the claustrophobia and smaller ideas I like. The bottle-like nature of it. 

If it's anything like similar stories, our guys will uncover a convoluted wide conspiracy and Mark will be ordained as a quasi-Messianic figure to lead the resistance. And it'll lose the crisp Kubrickian aesthetic as we enter the real world.

Spoiler

Yeah I get that but we need closure on his wife and what Helly's role is in the company and why she went in and got severed and the Burt/Turtorro relationship. I'd be happy if they just answered that with more Milchick tbh. Oh Milchick.

Don’t we know the answers to that already re Helly? She’s

Spoiler

a senior family member - she’s either already CEO or at some point will be, and she got severed as part of Lumen’s publicity drive to see wider adoption of the severance tech. Although what the real reason is for wanting to drive adoption (presumably it’s not about profits) is the question.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Don’t we know the answers to that already re Helly? She’s

Hide contents

a senior family member - she’s either already CEO or at some point will be, and she got severed as part of Lumen’s publicity drive to see wider adoption of the severance tech. Although what the real reason is for wanting to drive adoption (presumably it’s not about profits) is the question.

Yeah that all makes sense and we know that from the last episode but I think there's more there to explore, I think that's just the start.

On 21/03/2022 at 14:13, Gotters said:

Going to spoiler the scene in one of the employees home dressing rooms this week.

Hide contents

Also when they flipped beard guy back he still appeared to know the short sleeve bloke and was calm (not freaking out at some stranger in his home, implying maybe short sleeves was a neighbour like the main guy and boss lady, or at the least known to him. 

He didn’t just appear there though, we didn’t see the part where:

Spoiler

Milcheck presumably knocked on Dylan’s outie’s door, explained he was from Lumon and needed to switch him temporarily. After he’d finished and switched back to outie mode he says something like: ‘OK?’, which I guess was asking if Milcheck got everything he needed.

I’m not getting the confusion here. Both innies and outies know Milcheck. Outies know he’s their boss. He’s there when they get the procedure and he’s who they ring when they’re sick. Nothing complicated or hidden - it’s all in the show.

9 hours ago, deKay said:

I’m not getting the confusion here. Both innies and outies know Milcheck. Outies know he’s their boss. He’s there when they get the procedure and he’s who they ring when they’re sick. Nothing complicated or hidden - it’s all in the show.

So what I was saying was that whether he knew him or not, there never would have been a situation where the outie woke up and saw a stranger in front of him, because he would have experienced everything before the switch.

Anyway, finished this last night and it was some of the best TV I’ve ever seen. It was an incredible bit of sci-fi - equal parts hilarious and horrifying - with a mesmerising score and visual style. 10/10.

There are plenty of unanswered questions, but from what I’ve heard these aren’t just JJ-style mystery boxes and everything has already been worked out. Looking forward to season 2.

Really enjoyed the series. It’s tv so they will, I’m sure, jump the shark. That’s fine if the story is well told.

Thing is, it’s terrifying enough a premise without some big conspiracy - companies wanting compliant drones who can’t complain. Being trapped somewhere with no way out, doomed to appear and reappear in the same lift doorway everyday with no respite. Urgh.

Interested in the Senator and his wife. Seems she chose to be severed for the birth experience. So severance being used as a way for outies to avoid any ‘unpleasantness’. It’s a fascinating idea that philosophers could have a field day with.

Eagan’s comment about the hanging and how ‘she’ (Helly’s innie) could have treated Helly that way was chilling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2022 at 00:52, Vemsie said:

What a show this is. Never knew Ben Stiller is such a talented director.

I know a lot of people find it a bit too on the nose but I love The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which he also directed.

Also we've just watched all this in a week and it's a masterclass. I don't care if the next season doesn't live up to the first, as it's own work it's amazing.

I've heard a few people comparing this to The Stanley Parable. Interestingly I thought parts of the last episode were really videogame inspired with...

Spoiler

...the trope of you waking up with no idea where you are, who you are and what's in your inventory. It was really interesting watching all three "innies" trying to work out quickly the context of their outies life and trying to make sense of it and achieve their goals.

We also just watched this in the space of a week. Phenomenal. It takes a great ‘what if?’ idea and explores it very thoroughly - but also has the audacity to be well written, beautifully shot and frequently hilarious. The characters are all well fleshed out and seem to exist for their own sakes, not just to serve the plot. It’s incredible really. And the tension in the last episode? Literally on the end of my seat at one point. 

All the cast do a great job of playing out two slightly different versions of their characters, but Tramell Tillman’s Milchick swings wildly from charming, to creepy, to scary to fucking dance master with ease - and he’s not even severed!

Theres no way the writers of this show aren’t aware of Control, right?

A couple of questions about the senator’s wife and Ms Casey:

Spoiler

She was severed for her pregnancies, right? I guess the lodge is where it kicks in for her, so she does it because she’s too posh to push, I guess? But severance isn’t allowed beyond the scope of what Lumon are doing at the moment, so presumably that’s a backhander to their pal the senator. 

Also I wonder what happened to Gemma after the crash. She’s dead in the outside world, so there’s no way she leaves the building when her part time work as Ms Casey is over. They must be putting her on ice - she gets in the lift and it goes down, not up. Maybe she was left brain-dead as a result of the crash, and Gemma really is dead? And Ms Casey was created after they did the procedure on Gemma. 

And one theory about the wider plot:

Spoiler

Severance must be a means to a different ends - Mark and the others are all part of a bigger experiment, which must have something to do with the ‘revolving’ mentioned by daddy Eagan. Gemma/Ms Casey must play a big part in this - perhaps a way to live forever? But how does the PR stunt fit into that, if so?

There’s still so much to learn! The best mystery series since Lost. I forgot what that felt like. Hopefully they stick the landing on this one though. 

@Popo

Spoiler

The last episode, the father makes a comment that makes it sound like the end game is to get the whole world severed. Then you effectively have the whole population reduced to babies that only learn what you tell them and so a whole population in the cult.

Wow, just wow. I binged this over the last few days, and it was incredibly absorbing. The danger of mystery box style shows is they risk the whole thing collapsing under its own weight when there are more things revealed, and usually the mystery is more exciting than the truth, but the most important thing is if you have great characters it can carry you through it through them. And I have to say the characters in this are some of the best I've watched in a show in a while. I was rooting for them all by the end. The wait for more will be agonising.