IGNORED

Severance (not the Danny Dyer movie)

JohnC

On 13/03/2022 at 17:54, Harsin said:

This is superb. I love existential horror stuff like this. I think the scariest thing Stephen King ever wrote was The Jaunt.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of this short before. I enjoyed it! 

I’ve watched all episodes twice through so far, it continues to be excellent.

Theories on where it’s going:

Spoiler

I think the company is responsible for Mark’s wife’s death and I suspect that the whole thing is some kind of religious cult.

It’s really very good but also terrifies the shit out of me. Once you start thinking about the reality of that situation…

There’s a free e-book on the Apple Book store that fills in some context, including a copy of the Orientation Booklet.

Most intriguing though is this passage that implies what happens when they refine the numbers. Spoilers if you’re sensitive about that kind of thing:

Spoiler

C9AF2E5D-AB40-4EAE-B575-5B2F150500FD.thumb.jpeg.6b043ec6d512dae0727a29908556c7a8.jpeg

I also predict….

Spoiler

Helly’s “outie” is completely in on it and knows exactly what they’re doing. Dylan might also.

I would also not be surprised if it turns out that either Burt or Irving is a massive homophobe.

The mysteries keep on building

Going to spoiler the scene in one of the employees home dressing rooms this week.

Spoiler

So they somehow triggered the beardy co-worker into his 'innie' state whilst at home to ask him some questions and then were able to flip him back. All sorts of questions about how precise this switching is, did it trigger the others too in outie mode, was it locally targeted etc. 

Was the smiley guy in the short sleeve shirt also in innie mode, or is he not severed and playing a role (like maybe the boss lady). Also when they flipped beard guy back he still appeared to know the short sleeve bloke and was calm (not freaking out at some stranger in his home, implying maybe short sleeves was a neighbour like the main guy and boss lady, or at the least known to him. 

I don't expect they got anything 'wrong' in this scene with that stuff, but it seemed to raise a lot of questions to me beyond simply what had happened with the card he nicked. 

Loving this still, the introduction of 

Spoiler

mothers potentially being severed and switching 'innie' and 'outtie' states beyond the office building opens this up to all sorts of crazy shit.

@Gotters

Spoiler

Beardy co-worker Dylan would know smiley guy Milchick from when he inducted him, right? Probably doesn't know who boss lady Harmony is tho.

30 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Loving this still, the introduction of 

Hide contents

Beardy co-worker Dylan would know smiley guy Milchick from when he inducted him, right? Probably doesn't know who boss lady Harmony is tho.

Spoiler

that's a fair point, quite possibly the case, though when we saw Hellie wake up on the table after her severance she would have been an innie then, we don't know who they see as an outie do we ? (not sure, think we saw a bit of the process with lab coats and medics but nothing else IIRC)

It’s a setup so far that allows for an awful lot of theories - I just really hope that the end state organisation  and goals of Lumen were written before the build up we’re currently seeing - if this is a mystery they are building up on the fly with no end goal it’ll be crap.

I love how it's the sort of show that sits with you and you think about - I was out walking the dog and pondering that if you were setting this up you'd have to have people that were unsevered aware of the innies/outies activities, if you didn't you'd not have a clue how the 2 sides of their personalities were reacting or handling things.

Even if you weren't up to important and mysterious work it would be a necessary control to have in place.

So weird but so good and so well written. Melon parties are now trumped by music dance experience parties.

Spoiler

I'd been saying to my partner all week that the way the show is setup Mark could easily be married to Hellie or somebody who is also severed and they wouldn't know each other - I didn't think it was actually the case but it was possible.

I like the theory now his outie is just telling people his wife died, she maybe chose to be severed against his wishes and he lost it, but maybe he decided to follow her so his outie has some comfort that his innie spends time with her, even if they don't know. 

Plus this screen grab 

Spoiler

7fdt2uwgmnp81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

There’s an excellent SF novella from 1951 called ‘Beyond Bedlam’ that this show reminded me of - it’s set in a world where everyone has two distinct personalities that share a body, and use drugs to swap over ‘existence’ every week. It’s available for free on Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51842

I was watching the latest episode with the other half who has only seen bits. I let out a “holy shit!” as the reveal happened.

Best thing currently showing I think.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

So her death was faked potentially just to try and persuade him to join up?

I’m guessing that only a small amount of people can do their work so they get headhunted pretty viciously.

Dylan - I think he knows what’s going on but he’s a mercenary.

Helly has to be in on it and is most likely a Keir family member.

Irving - not sure, but the hallucinations and dirty fingernails have to be leading somewhere.

Going back to an earlier episode with the “wellness session”, really shows just how fucked up this organisation really is!

The mystery box at the moment makes it hard to infer what are the motives behind the goings on at Lumon

Spoiler

I'm feeling that the work being done is actually irrelevant, it's not the point.

The point is the severance programme and how subservient or drone like it's possible to make people whilst retaining the ability to flip them back - this could be either a nutter religious cult thing, or some government black ops thing as hinted at by the side story with the wife of the politician who gave birth in the same place as the sister.

This then leads to a smaller reveal at the end of season 1 before the bigger thing starts to open up, which does concern me a little as you've got the Prison Break scenario where once they are out of the prison (sorry spoilers) it became a totally different thing. 

@Gotters

Spoiler

I dunno, there was a scene before Burt got retired where the boss was keen to see how some final plan was coming along, so I think the work does have a point to it.

I’m really interested in how the different people behave in the outside. I’m fully expecting some of the lovable characters to end up being complete shit bags.

I'm taking all that to be busy work they are given to provide a sense of purpose - but at present there is nothing to back up these hunches, it's just guesswork within the structure they've setup.

The work/tasks aspects reminds me of the old Magnus Mills book The Scheme For Full Employment.

Hang about, I’ve just watched episode 7 and the photo at the end of his wife 

Spoiler

is supposed to be Helle?

I only know that from looking at @deKay’s spoiler…if that’s who it was (I honestly didn’t recognise her) then that is a really silly ‘twist’.

29 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Hide contents

is supposed to be Helle?

I only know that from looking at @deKay’s spoiler…if that’s who it was (I honestly didn’t recognise her) then that is a really silly ‘twist’.

No it’s 

Spoiler

The wellness councillor. She played Katya in Neighbours. 

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

Hide contents

is supposed to be Helle?

if it was the person you’d mentioned I’d agree. As the person it actually is, it’s just a whole different sequence of questions.

Spoiler

And, of course, the only one on one scene they’ve had was that scene of them pushing past each other in the corridor to the break room.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Haha, I obviously didn’t recognise her either! To be honest I’m not pleased about that at all, it still points to silly.

Sinister, not silly.

Yes, I’ve no doubt that’s the intention. Unfortunately that type of ‘coincidence’ just serves as an indicator to me that the mystery will end up being less than the sum of its parts, which I hope I’m wrong about as it’s been otherwise excellent so far.