'Weird: The Al Yankovic Story' - Daniel Radcliffe is "Weird"

robotattack

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Apparently Divine is Nina West from Drag Race!

Ah that’s who it is, couldn’t place the face.

Decent reviews for Weird so far, really looking forward to this. Liked Radcliffe since he did a cover of Alphabet Aerobics on Jimmy Fallon. He’s made some interesting career choices, when really he could have just taken the Potter money and played safe.

• 1 month later...

Watched this tonight, thought it was ace, and loved the various UHF nods sprinkled throughout. Though was very disappointed he didn’t catch a bullet in his mouth during one of the surprisingly numerous action scenes. 

Oh, and for those wondering above, it was Emo Phillips playing Dali! 

5813AD15-6413-4DEE-8730-A4B5F6D97ABB.gif.b8b26bbf7900c3f8301b65e51d37136e.gif

On 10/09/2022 at 19:09, glb said:

Decent reviews for Weird so far, really looking forward to this. Liked Radcliffe since he did a cover of Alphabet Aerobics on Jimmy Fallon. He’s made some interesting career choices, when really he could have just taken the Potter money and played safe.

Surely it's the case that precisely because of the Potter money he can do films he actually cares about now, because he's probably never needed to work again anyway.

34 minutes ago, DualSense said:

Give Wikipedia a glance.

I mean I know who he is, but watching this with the family who don't know anything about Al. So not sure if it's funny/entertaining for them as I may just watch this on my own otherwise.

On 10/09/2022 at 19:09, glb said:

Saw him in Samuel Becketts's Endgame a few years ago - one of my favorite plays - and I thought he was really great. So i have a huge amount of respect for him. Seems like a nice bloke as well when interviewed.

The only way i knew about Weird Al was from a friend many years ago who loved his music. I was never  a massive fan - i found it a little cringe to be honest, but i have to admit some of the songs where catchy.

I watched the movie saturday and generally thought it was mostly good. It starts of very well, but at one point in the movie it just got a little bit too silly for me and i kinda lost interest somewhat.

The whole movie is a parody in itself - certain bits might be true but most of it is highly exagerated.

Daniel Radcliffe did a great job though. It's worth a watch just don't take it too seriously.

20 hours ago, Gabe said:

Surely it's the case that precisely because of the Potter money he can do films he actually cares about now, because he's probably never needed to work again anyway.

Still impressed that he didn’t just stick, especially as pretty much all his acting experience until Potter concluded was on large-scale studio sets. Although I also like that Rupert Grint bought an ice cream van with his Potter coins and gave out free ice cream to kids in his neighbourhood.

18 hours ago, hub2 said:

Saw him in Samuel Becketts's Endgame a few years ago - one of my favorite plays - and I thought he was really great. So i have a huge amount of respect for him. Seems like a nice bloke as well when interviewed.

That’s cool! I think theatre really highlights how good actors are. Was lucky enough to see James Gandolfini off Broadway a few years before he passed away. That was stellar. Well worth checking listings because it’s a great experience seeing film stars in such intimate surroundings. Of course, just going to the theatre is also a good night out.