Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...

MidWalian

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Not even THQ, Gearbox, Deep Silver...?

I tried to zoom in, and the forum just opened it in a modal which was the same size. So I clicked it again (bearing in mind the mouse cursor shows a magnifiier) and I just get it the same size but now directly from imgur :lol:

Anyway, now that I've actually managed to zoom in, I see 3D Realms in there, so yeah, I know one! And THQ.

I may have missed this in the thread but according to Google, Nintendo have a market value of $57.23 Billion. 

Not sure why anyone would buy Activision for 70bn instead of Nintendo. 

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

I may have missed this in the thread but according to Google, Nintendo have a market value of $57.23 Billion. 

Not sure why anyone would buy Activision for 70bn instead of Nintendo. 

Because Activision would sell.

1 minute ago, footle said:

Because Activision would sell.

True. Nintendo are market listed so a hostile takeover or even a minority stake leading for a formal offer is a possibility. 

10 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Buying studios in the past seems to have lots of possible ways to fail. Hard to imagine a hostile takeover involving those companies ending up with good results.

True. Although the sheer IP and back catalogue you'd be obtaining with Nintendo means you're safeguarding some value at least.

26 minutes ago, McCoy said:

True. Nintendo are market listed so a hostile takeover or even a minority stake leading for a formal offer is a possibility. 

It is... but Japan has some weird rules floating about protecting "their" companies. Next to work cultures not being compatible to start with, it's why most take-overs/mergers over there are amongst Japanese companies and foreign companies usually stick to investments. To a certain extent I believe the Japanese government has some stakes in the big game companies, being able to at least make life difficult for any foreign company trying their hand at it.

The backlash to Microsoft buying (or trying to buy) Nintendo would be unreal. Plus, one of the big three buying one of the other big three would pretty clearly have negative effects on competition.  

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

Yeah, it is more a comment on how bizarre that Activision might be worth more than Nintendo. 

as depressing as it might seem it is all about how much money you make etc. - there are other factors but mainly if you are buying a business and one makes more profit than the other it is likely to cost more.

Activision Blizzard make more profits than Nintendo as far as I can see.

The blog entry is quite lengthy. 

And explains how they will not force developers to use their payment system for, for example, in-app purchases. Sony makes a lot of their money that way, too lazy to find the pie chart. 

Yeah, this thread title (and the Sony/Bungie one) are inaccurate. They've asked to buy them, they've agreed, but they've got to get past (the american version of) monopolies & mergers. Hence all the decent behaviour.

1 minute ago, LaveDisco said:

Yeah, this thread title (and the Sony/Bungie one) are inaccurate. They've asked to buy them, they've agreed, but they've got to get past (the american version of) monopolies & mergers. Hence all the decent behaviour.

The App Store thing, and protecting the console App Store, is a shot across the bows of Apple, and a defence against getting dragged in by Epic and the various anti-trust cases.

There’s already a huge amount of competition in the PC store market, and nothing stopping people using alternative app payments in any case: it’s a “not a financially relevant amount of skin in the game” situation. They want subs.

Their statement about future games on Playstation still reeks of corporate doublespeak to me. We'll see I guess, but I don't think you can interpret it as all future Acti-Blizzard games will come to PlayStation, there's a deliberate layer of obsfucation still there.

It's hard to watch that interview in the tweet above and not see this aquisition as simply Microsoft deciding to become the biggest third party publishers in the industry instead of being a platform holder. Gamepass is no doubt incredibly important for them going into the future. But being so explicit in mentioning Minecraft as your blueprint for what comes next has to be a sign of where MS wants to go as a gaming company I'd say.

35 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

But being so explicit in mentioning Minecraft as your blueprint for what comes next has to be a sign of where MS wants to go as a gaming company I'd say.

Which, incidentally, started with Nadella.

I saw a thing saying the company that make the silicon wafers for all of the chip fabs say they're sold out to 2026, so yeah I think everything is going to be fucked for the near future, and we're certainly not going to see a Switch Pro anytime soon.

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I saw a thing saying the company that make the silicon wafers for all of the chip fabs say they're sold out to 2026, so yeah I think everything is going to be fucked for the near future, and we're certainly not going to see a Switch Pro anytime soon.

Really? That is terrifying!

• Kryptonian changed the title to Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah...