IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

6 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

The original has held up incredibly well too. I went back through it about a year back and as long as you can put your head back in that N64 space, it's still an incredibly satisfying experience. Curious where they're going to take the franchise next.

What did you play it on? I rinsed it fairly recently on the 360 to do all the Combat Challenges again and I found it spot on.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think personally Rares hayday was on the Spectrum as Ultmate. They were the first true arcade quality titles on the Spectrum at the time - they had an elusive mythical feel to them back then - no interviews hardly any news about new releases and each release felt like a huge event. The were at the top of their game back then. But then it was a very small pool and the C64 games were never that great from what I remember.

When they moved over to Nintendo and started writing for the NES they sort of disappeared into a sea of NES titles. Had a few peaks here and there on SNES (Donkey Kong Country) and N64 (GoldenEye) but their output never felt as strong after that IMHO. Grabbed By The Ghoulies on Xbox was OK and had a RARE/Ultimate "feel" to it... By the time MS bought them I think Ninty were more than happy to sell all interest in them. 

Not to say the content since MS is bad - enjoyed Kameo on the 360. 

You forgot Perfect Dark.

Rare may have made other games, but it’s silly to call the Spectrum days the pinnacle. Perfect Dark is their finest creation, Goldeneye the runner up, and they are both so good that nothing else they made really matters, as excellent as most of it is.

Perfect Dark Zero is a good example that when ownership of a company changes hands, all you are buying is the existing IP and not ownership of the actual human talent that made the games hugely successful in the first place.

Holding on to those people (or replacing them if they leave with equally creative and talented people) is the crucial part for the continued success (or creation of) any videogame franchise.

What I find interesting though is that nobody knows what the next big thing in gaming will be or where it will come from. It could come from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or even a small indie studio with just 10 staff.

I would also say it's a little bit premature for some people to write off all the other competition because one company now has the ownership of even more videogame IP that will probably take several more years to see the light of day.

Disclaimer: I own an Xbox Series X, PS5, PC and a Switch so don't really care which platforms videogames eventually turn up on.

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

You forgot Perfect Dark.

Rare may have made other games, but it’s silly to call the Spectrum days the pinnacle. Perfect Dark is their finest creation, Goldeneye the runner up, and they are both so good that nothing else they made really matters, as excellent as most of it is.

Blast Corps is amazing too, that’s S tier Rare IMO. 

Just now, Stanley said:

Blast Corps is amazing too, that’s S tier Rare IMO. 

Yes, imho that’s the only other Rare IP I care about. Imagine what they could do with it today!

And Jet Force Gemini! :quote:

Just now, ZOK said:

Very average game IMHO and for me one of Rares worst... :D But hey opinions right?! :)  (added PFD in BTW as I realised I forgot that one!)

18 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What did you play it on? I rinsed it fairly recently on the 360 to do all the Combat Challenges again and I found it spot on.

Yeah, I played it on the Xbox One with the Rare Replay collection. Was nice to play it without those old stutters. 

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, imho that’s the only other Rare IP I care about. Imagine what they could do with it today!

Yes in fact I almost mentioned JFG because it’s also excellent. 

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I used to be such a big Rare fan ever since the N64 golden age. And then Grabbed By The Ghoulies came out.

:D It wasn't actually a bad game ... just expectations because it was Rares first game on the Xbox were extremely high.... Quite enjoyed it myself reminded my of the Spectrum days in a way.. (A souped up Atic Atac concept perhaps..) 

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Very average game IMHO and for me one of Rares worst... :D But hey opinions right?! :)  (added PFD in BTW as I realised I forgot that one!)

It was a brilliant game, it’s cutesy trappings hid a very sophisticated AI combat system, and it was easily one of the best - and arguably THE best - third person shooter of its generation.

20 minutes ago, MattyP said:

:D It wasn't actually a bad game ... just expectations because it was Rares first game on the Xbox were extremely high.... Quite enjoyed it myself reminded my of the Spectrum days in a way.. (A souped up Atic Atac concept perhaps..) 

Yeah, I got Attic Attack vibes from it too. If memory serves didn't it also have that strange combat system where you had to slap the stick to fight instead of using buttons? There were three of that sort that if I recall, Grabbed, Sony's Jet Li game, Rise To Honour and Blade 2. I actually liked them, you could get into a bit of a rhythm with them. I don't think there are any modern examples of that? Can't imagine why. :lol:

8 hours ago, Graham S said:

I wonder if my jokey post will also provoke a Crash fan to bemoan Naughty Dog turning into a soulless purveyor of Uncharteds and Last of Us games instead of the into the screen classics of their true heyday.

Certainly we have been denied seeing the true evolution of Crash Bandicoot where he becomes a dad, loses his child and then neckstabs his way through a post apocalyptic world.

Gamers reaction to this news: Everyone becomes an armchair business analyst - Sony r doomedz - I don't like COD what else is this??

My reaction: Bought another year of gamepass top ups while they are cheap

Not sure if anyone else here watches Reckless Comedy on YouTube and their PlayStation Girl series.

They just released their video about this. It's not what you may think and the videos are often good (especially the PS3 character).

Or someone on here will say they're the shittest thing ever created cos... internet

2 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Gamers reaction to this news: Everyone becomes an armchair business analyst - Sony r doomedz - I don't like COD what else is this??

My reaction: Bought another year of gamepass top ups while they are cheap

I’m ambivalent towards it and judge it as just part of MS’s continued plan for world domination ;)

Seriously though this news makes little difference until we see what they do with all these properties, and more importantly how they plan on sorting Activision Blizzard out, because clearly there are a shitload of very unhappy employees there, sadly. 

The thought I've had running around my head the last few days regarding this news is very much an idealised view of things, and also clearly the thoughts of someone with no knowledge of the process of game design.

With all these studios under Microsoft's belt, I would really like to see more shared material/assistance between said studios, and potentially give them the opportunity to try their hand at genres they're not associated with. Technically that's already happening with Playground making the new Fable, but to push this idea a bit further, it'd be cool if Playground are able to get Obsidian to help out with some parts of the process, as that studio knows how to build an RPG. More broadly, anyone wanting to build an FPS can get iD to show them a thing or two for how to make that work. My idealised scenario is talented studios having a pool of resources available to them that they can experiment in their output, bring back the era of studios like Criterion releasing Black inbetween Burnouts (hey, in that regard, what if iD had a crack at a racer?).

Microsoft already have a number of studios under their umbrella that you could call best in class for a respective genre, I'd like to see what else they might be capable of. With specific regard to Activision Blizzard, I would hope to see some of those studios taken off of the eternal Call of Duty assembly line and be allowed to make original games again. This is mainly about Raven, because goddamn they made some great games before being cemented into that funnel. Add in Treyarch, Beenox, Toys for Bob, Vicarious Visions and High Moon and there's a solid slate of reliable developers with legacies dating well back into the 90's, with that Microsoft could get a litany of new IP's off the ground.

None of this will happen.

18 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Interesting thing from the last Nextlander podcast.   Sony gaming division is STILL bigger than the MS gaming division even with this purchase.  I think TenCent were number 1. 

Yeh so all the people screaming "MONOPOLY" don't understand what a monopoly is when the purchase only makes you third and still behind your main competitor

1 hour ago, dfq23 said:

Yeh so all the people screaming "MONOPOLY" don't understand what a monopoly is when the purchase only makes you third and still behind your main competitor

This might sound reasonable on the surface, but consider what we're talking about: Microsoft are spending $69 billion on an acquisition for their gaming division. The current relative ranking of Xbox amongst gaming companies isn't really relevant when they aren't the ones bankrolling the purchase; PlayStation is a more successful business yet they couldn't even consider a deal like this because they aren't attached to a $2 trillion tech giant.

You don't get to be the underdog whilst spending an unprecedented amount of corporate money on one of the industry's biggest publishers.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Interesting thing from the last Nextlander podcast.   Sony gaming division is STILL bigger than the MS gaming division even with this purchase.  I think TenCent were number 1. 

In revenue terms Sony would be bigger alright. Based purely on employees I'm guessing this purchase would make Microsoft the biggest. I know Tencent own stakes in a lot more studios than they fully own but I'm talking purely about studios the company own outright. 

I saw this tweet yesterday showing how much Microsoft could have in development right now if you include Activision and it's faintly ridiculous when you think about what Microsoft's first party lineup was just a few years ago.

You only have to take a look at the poll on the front page of IGN to get an idea why both Sony and Nintendo might be slightly concerned as to how this generation is starting to pan out.  Over 43,000 voters and 2/3ds of them are either already onboard with Microsoft or interested in becoming so.

Granted IGN is a gaming site and I would imagine most of the people voting on there have access to at least 2 of the big 3 if not all of them.  But the counter to that arguement is the casual gamers will go where the games are, and if COD gamers, Doom gamers, Elder Scrolls gamers etc can only get their games via Microsoft then that is where they will end up.  

1 hour ago, bear said:

In revenue terms Sony would be bigger alright. Based purely on employees I'm guessing this purchase would make Microsoft the biggest. I know Tencent own stakes in a lot more studios than they fully own but I'm talking purely about studios the company own outright. 

I saw this tweet yesterday showing how much Microsoft could have in development right now if you include Activision and it's faintly ridiculous when you think about what Microsoft's first party lineup was just a few years ago.

The Activision part of that is just depressing considering the talented studios involved. If you're at one of those Devs you're probably dreaming of getting to make something that isn't Call of Duty.

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

You only have to take a look at the poll on the front page of IGN to get an idea why both Sony and Nintendo might be slightly concerned as to how this generation is starting to pan out.  Over 43,000 voters and 2/3ds of them are either already onboard with Microsoft or interested in becoming so.

Granted IGN is a gaming site and I would imagine most of the people voting on there have access to at least 2 of the big 3 if not all of them.  But the counter to that arguement is the casual gamers will go where the games are, and if COD gamers, Doom gamers, Elder Scrolls gamers etc can only get their games via Microsoft then that is where they will end up.  

That’s like saying Daily Mail readers might vote conservative. IGN is gash. 

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Bosman's take is very good, and goes past a lot of the takes in here that see everything in terms of "company X destroyed Y", the same blood-soaked rhetoric of 'killer' apps and so on that pervades industry talk.

Yeah couple of great bits in there,  “it’s done” made me laugh and also the “well it’s been fun tussling with you guys but we’re off to compete with Amazon, Apple and Meta” bit is bang-on. 

2 hours ago, Waggo said:

Is that the “Does the Activision Aquisition make you want an XBOX? because I see 51% of the poll are sticking with Sony or PC?

In terms of people switching, who knows, I think Sony, Nintendo and XBOX offer quite distinct experiences, I still think of the XBOX/GP as more of an alternative to a PC or maybe these days as a companion to a PC with GP/saves straddling both. The MS acquisitions so far haven’t really crossed into the games I play so as long as all 3 continue to coexist I’ll be happy.