IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

I'll be honest now I'm in my 40s I'm indifferent to a lot of gaming news. But this has just made me say "Jesus fucking Christ" in a hospital waiting room.

And like someone just said, tossed out casually on a Tuesday morning. Incredible.

I imagine they'd really struggle to get this one past the competition and mergers commission (or whatever they're called). Microsoft can't just hoover up the entire gaming industry as I'm sure there are rules in place to stop this happening. What with Microsoft's own gaming studios, Bethesda and now Activision, surely this accounts for a sizeable chunk of the gaming industry. I imagine eyebrows will be raised and potentially a hammer might come down on the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

4 minutes ago, tronied said:

I imagine they'd really struggle to get this one past the competition and mergers commission (or whatever they're called). Microsoft can't just hoover up the entire gaming industry as I'm sure there are rules in place to stop this happening. What with Microsoft's own gaming studios, Bethesda and now Activision, surely this accounts for a sizeable chunk of the gaming industry. I imagine eyebrows will be raised and potentially a hammer might come down on the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

It's a weird one because Activision are actually pretty all over the place in terms of platforms, they've got F2P stuff, PC subscriptions, mobile with Candy Crush, etc, which are all areas that Microsoft aren't really in at the moment, so it's hard to argue they're getting a monopoly in any area.

With the news that every studio was on CoD, in the console space it's only really one extra game - it's a big game, like Minecraft, but still.

Watching CNBC stock channel. They are going insane. Activision stock just had a massive jump of 90%. Along with Take2 and EA stock which they are also talking about MS buying.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This is the shortest Console War yet, right? I mean, Sony can't possibly win any more. It's just a matter of time now.

It puts Sony in a position not unlike Nintendo’s: they’re going to have to come up with a distinct product for an asymmetrical fight for a share of the pie. They’ve been waving that flag for a while in PR but they really do need to walk the walk now.

1CC81A1C-2775-456C-9EDD-E0A38A41E49B.gif.c959f7961b088391f20cb5c544481fb4.gif

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Just imagine how much better Halo Infinite could have been if they pumped that $70b into it.

343 would just have spunked it up the wall somehow.

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

I think I thought they were MS already. Were they Activision?

Yep, Bizarre Creations was under Activision, they were just contracted exclusives.

I can barely process this news, what it means for the companies, how internal dev will function moving forwards, what this could mean for future games from those teams.

This is a spectacular boost for Game Pass just as Sony are gearing up to announce their thing, too.

Flabbergasted.