Jump to content
IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .


MidWalian
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Let's hope Microsoft's handling of old IP, now they have some actually good IP to use instead of trying to make Battletoads happen, is to take Banjo, Kazooie and Crash and bury them in one of those long term highly radioactive nuclear waste sites, with pictograms saying something like "beware, this is not a place of honour", so future civilisations don't repeat our mistakes.

 

I think the main issue with Microsoft's acquisition of RARE wasn't the poor use of the IP (although that's a part of it), it was the fact that, once the Stamper's left with their bags of money, and the other key members of the team went seperate ways, all that was left was a logo and a list of reminders from the glory days. The creative soul of the place was gone. The studio might have well been renamed to MS Dev Studio 26 or something.

 

I'm not sure what Microsoft's objective was, but it felt like a massive missed opportunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should add to the discussion that despite WoW not doing as well as it used to it's still the biggest MMO by a considerable margin I believe

 

(Also no WoW 2 until that tanks)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

 

Why would it need a sequel when they are just developing the MMO as it goes?

 

3 minutes ago, Giddas said:


just marketing etc, also if they fancied a big engine revamp

 

There is an argument to start afresh so that you aren't lumbered by legacy tech and design. Worked with Final Fantasy 11 and then 14 (although to be fair the original launch of 14 was a disaster.)

 

WoW has the problem of being the market leader MMO wise in that any changes will lose them customers that have probably been paying them subs for almost two decades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Unofficial Who said:

Streaming might be the way to go in some countries but in Australia it's a complete non-starter and probably will be for at least the next ten years.

 

And again for territories such as mine this makes it even more compelling for Playstation users to make the switch to X-Box. Because PSNow doesn't exist here and probably can't because of latency. Which means if Sony's next move is to fold PSNow into PSPlus it's going to piss people here off because either

 

-it's an extra service overseas locals can't access

 

or

 

-it's a new streaming service which will run like rubbish


PS4 and you’d assume PS5 in the near future are downloadable on PS Now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

I should add to the discussion that despite WoW not doing as well as it used to it's still the biggest MMO by a considerable margin I believe

 

(Also no WoW 2 until that tanks)

 

I think FFXIV is now the leader, but I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I think the main issue with Microsoft's acquisition of RARE wasn't the poor use of the IP (although that's a part of it), it was the fact that, once the Stamper's left with their bags of money, and the other key members of the team went seperate ways, all that was left was a logo and a list of reminders from the glory days. The creative soul of the place was gone. The studio might have well been renamed to MS Dev Studio 26 or something

 

This is utter rubbish, Rare have been way more successful and creative doing their own thing and making new IPs than they ever were making sub-par knockoffs of Nintendo franchises back in the day.

 

The only reason people say otherwise is because they don't actually want that, they don't want to play Sea of Thieves, they want to play Banjo, stop making games for kids, make them for meeeeee..... pander to meee... and all the other dads. Sad shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

This is utter rubbish, Rare have been way more successful and creative doing their own thing and making new IPs than they ever were making sub-par knockoffs of Nintendo franchises back in the day.

 

There was the avatar thing. Kinect Sports was interesting though, even if it wasn't a "core" game.

Also, he's rewritten Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata out of history, for some reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if my jokey post will also provoke a Crash fan to bemoan Naughty Dog turning into a soulless purveyor of Uncharteds and Last of Us games instead of the into the screen classics of their true heyday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

This is utter rubbish, Rare have been way more successful and creative doing their own thing and making new IPs than they ever were making sub-par knockoffs of Nintendo franchises back in the day.

 

The only reason people say otherwise is because they don't actually want that, they don't want to play Sea of Thieves, they want to play Banjo, stop making games for kids, make them for meeeeee..... pander to meee... and all the other dads. Sad shit.


ah yes all those new IPs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rare managed to maintain the vibe and ethos of an early eighties UK developer right into the Xbox 360 era, which is probably why most if not all of their original IP looked like it would be more at home on the cover of a £1.99 tape in a big rack in Boots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

This is utter rubbish, Rare have been way more successful and creative doing their own thing and making new IPs than they ever were making sub-par knockoffs of Nintendo franchises back in the day.

 

The only reason people say otherwise is because they don't actually want that, they don't want to play Sea of Thieves, they want to play Banjo, stop making games for kids, make them for meeeeee..... pander to meee... and all the other dads. Sad shit.

 

This is ludicrous. Donkey Kong 64 was not great. But Banjo backwards was absolute gold. Their takes on Super Mario 64 with Banjo, and Mario Kart with DKR were unbelievable, and let's not forget the legendary Donkey Kong Country series. But even some of their later content with Nintendo like Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fur Day are aces.

 

Everything Rare have made since has been less than great, bar Sea of Thieves which eventually grew into something amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

Everything Rare have made since has been less than great, bar Sea of Thieves which eventually grew into something amazing

I've seen some wrongness in this thread, but this takes the cake. Nuts & Bolts is not only Rare's best game ever made, it's one of the top games of its respective generation. The biggest crime ever commited against gaming, is the way humanity was deprived of a glorious sequel because some got their nerdy panties into a twist over the game being something refreshingly different from a derivative Mario platformer wannabe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I actually think it'll go the other way, the model of gaming servers as just big gaming PCs is kind of outdated, every other form of media (like online video) exploded only after they were able to deliver content using regular web-servers which were a fraction of the cost. It is technically feasible for games to use a lot of the web tech developed in the last couple of decades to do the things game servers do now much more efficiently and at scale, S&dbox had an experimental proof of concept:

 

I'm struggling to see how that's different from any other server from a client perspective, other than that it's probably using gRPC for messages across HTTP web-sockets (pros/cons) rather than something else over UDP. At the backend, you can do all sorts of interesting stuff, but I'd be looking more at the likes of Improbable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

Why you making nostalgia arguments as if they're gonna convince me man? I hate that shit. The argument is should Rare be able to do interesting new stuff which they want to do or forced into being a nostalgia factory for sad dads (it's the first one).

 

Anyway, onto Sony's possible counter-move:

 

 

Netflix Datamine Could Suggest a Partnership With PlayStation

When Phil Spencer was asked recently where he thought their platform was lacking he said in kids and family games, so I could see them reimagining some of those old Rare franchises, and obviously now they’ve got the likes of Spyro and Crash too, and tbh I’d quite like to see some of them, regardless of whether it’s actually Rare who develop them. 
 

Then again I’d like to see Turn 10 make a Mario Kart clone too. 
 

There’s a lot of untapped potential in MS’s ever growing stable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've seen some wrongness in this thread, but this takes the cake. Nuts & Bolts is not only Rare's best game ever made, it's one of the top games of its respective generation. The biggest crime ever commited against gaming, is the way humanity was deprived of a glorious sequel because some got their nerdy panties into a twist over the game being something refreshingly different from a derivative Mario platformer wannabe.

 

I actually agree with this, N&B is great, and even I forget about it. Pre ordered it just for the free XBLA version of Banjo, but ended up enjoying Nuts even more.

 

Thanks for pointing out how wrong I am on the sweet treat scale though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

 

I actually agree with this, N&B is great, and even I forget about it. Pre ordered it just for the free XBLA version of Banjo, but ended up enjoying Nuts even more.

 

Thanks for pointing out how wrong I am on the sweet treat scale though.

I'll always defend N&B :)

 

Imagine the potential of a N&B2 running on a Series console! What they could do with the physics and emergent possibilities! 

 

Uncle Phil plz :(

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'll always defend N&B :)

 

Imagine the potential of a N&B2 running on a Series console! What they could do with the physics and emergent possibilities! 

 

Uncle Phil plz :(

 

 

 

I think design philosophies like what BOTW does with its open world offers huge opportunities for something like N&B. Especially making some hunk of junk straight away to scale a mountain, but be warned it ain't gonna be easy! 

 

The art direction for the characters is second to none too so need more of that, but the chunky edges certainly carried well into SOT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

This is utter rubbish, Rare have been way more successful and creative doing their own thing and making new IPs than they ever were making sub-par knockoffs of Nintendo franchises back in the day.

 

The only reason people say otherwise is because they don't actually want that, they don't want to play Sea of Thieves, they want to play Banjo, stop making games for kids, make them for meeeeee..... pander to meee... and all the other dads. Sad shit.

 

That's not really the point I'm making, which was that RARE went from being one of the hottest developers around with Nintendo to being diminished under Microsoft's ownership (for whatever reason). It's nothing to do with nostalgia, or what titles I wanted from them, it's just the way it felt.

 

You suggest that they're more successful making new IPs since leaving Nintendo, but that consists of five new IPs in the last 18 years (Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Kinnect Sports, and Sea of Thieves), and even then Grabbed by the Ghoulies & Kameo were originally Gamecube titles switched during development, and Kinnect Sports could be said to owe quite a lot to Wii Sports (whether you consider it a sub-par knockoff, I don't know). Everything else has been sequels, re-masters, or re-releases of previous titles.

 

Nuts & Bolts is the standout as, while I don't think it's what a lot of B&K fans wanted, it was a brave direction to take the franchise in and one that worked fantastically well while still keeping the character of the original games intact. Another 3D platformer would probably have been a lot more successful, but I can't fault the quality of the game.

 

 

2 hours ago, footle said:

 

There was the avatar thing. Kinect Sports was interesting though, even if it wasn't a "core" game.

Also, he's rewritten Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata out of history, for some reason.

 

I didn't mention any titles at all to be fair, so can't be said to have written any out of history. As I've said above, N&B was a brilliant game.

 

Putting RARE to work on Kinnect Sports titles always seemed like a waste of the brand. It feels akin to Sony buying Naughty Dog and then getting them to produce family oriented Playstation Move games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

It feels akin to Sony buying Naughty Dog and then getting them to produce family oriented Playstation Move games.

 

You mean like they purchased a software company known for cutsy 3d platformers in 2001 and then from 2007 onwards redirected them to create a whole two IPs that very much weren't:

* Uncharted

* The Last of Us

 

Number of IPs and history isn't everything!

 

(I'm sure Microsoft would have liked Rare to produce either of those two - but that's clearly never going to happen...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I remember the excitement for Perfect Dark Zero. Still on my desk all these years later 🤣

 

IMG_20220121_150041_015.thumb.jpg.048fa4e4eea070dee78194a467bf5aeb.jpg

 

It wasn't worth it.


Reasonable to be excited, as at that point it was the sequel to the second best FPS of all time.

 

Then it was released.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:


Reasonable to be excited, as at that point it was the sequel to the second best FPS of all time.

 

Then it was released.:(

My oldest achievement on Xbox is the one for completing PD0 in co-op normal. And it's my ONLY achievement for that game. I went to a midnight launch of the 360 with a few friends. We each got a console. PD0 was the first game we tried because fuck - it was a new PD! Finished it that same night in co-op and literally never played it again. What a load of shite and a huge disappointment. Thank god I also bought Condemned and Kameo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, footle said:

 

You mean like they purchased a software company known for cutsy 3d platformers in 2001 and then from 2007 onwards redirected them to create a whole two IPs that very much weren't:

* Uncharted

* The Last of Us

 

Number of IPs and history isn't everything!

 

(I'm sure Microsoft would have liked Rare to produce either of those two - but that's clearly never going to happen...)

 

But both Uncharted and The Last of Us are games that, while very different to Naughty Dog's old output, were hugely successful and rank amongst the best titles of their generation. The same can't really be said for RARE making the Kinnect Sports titles.

 

I'm not anti-Microsoft or anti-RARE at all, but I do genuinely feel that the ball was dropped somewhere when they moved over. Maybe RARE was already past it's heyday - Starfox Adventures on the GameCube wasn't their best effort - but at the time I remember eagerly awaiting what they would come up with on Xbox and it never really seemed to materialise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, ZOK said:


Reasonable to be excited, as at that point it was the sequel to the second best FPS of all time.

 

Then it was released.:(

 

The original has held up incredibly well too. I went back through it about a year back and as long as you can put your head back in that N64 space, it's still an incredibly satisfying experience. Curious where they're going to take the franchise next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

 

But both Uncharted and The Last of Us are games that, while very different to Naughty Dog's old output, were hugely successful and rank amongst the best titles of their generation. The same can't really be said for RARE making the Kinnect Sports titles.

 

I'm not anti-Microsoft or anti-RARE at all, but I do genuinely feel that the ball was dropped somewhere when they moved over. Maybe RARE was already past it's heyday - Starfox Adventures on the GameCube wasn't their best effort - but at the time I remember eagerly awaiting what they would come up with on Xbox and it never really seemed to materialise.

Think personally Rares hayday was on the Spectrum as Ultmate. They were the first true arcade quality titles on the Spectrum at the time - they had an elusive mythical feel to them back then - no interviews hardly any news about new releases and each release felt like a huge event. The were at the top of their game back then. But then it was a very small pool and the C64 games were never that great from what I remember.

 

When they moved over to Nintendo and started writing for the NES they sort of disappeared into a sea of NES titles. Had a few peaks here and there on SNES (Donkey Kong Country) and N64 (GoldenEye/Perfect Dark) but their output never felt as strong after that IMHO. Grabbed By The Ghoulies on Xbox was OK and had a RARE/Ultimate "feel" to it... By the time MS bought them I think Ninty were more than happy to sell all interest in them. 

 

Not to say the content since MS is bad - enjoyed Kameo on the 360 and clearly Sea Of Thieves is doing well for MS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.