IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

3 hours ago, footle said:

sony aren’t the only competitor, or even the major competitor if we look at the gaming market as a whole. You’re defining the market in the smallest possible terms, and opening Sony up to questions about their own exclusivity practices. I’d be quite surprised if that went anywhere, but I suppose that’s what we’ll see over the next year.

I mean $20bn off Sony's share price on this announcement suggests that this news has had an outsized impact on MS's chief rival in the console space. As you say, we'll see what the regulators decide is relevant. As I've said, I think it will pass through because there is enough mitigation there but considering the amount of consolidation we're seeing, it will be an interesting case to follow to see exactly where or even if there is a limit to this stuff and what factors do have the most weight.

9 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I mean $20bn off Sony's share price on this announcement suggests that this news has had an outsized impact on MS's chief rival in the console space

Only in terms of market sentiment.  That doesn't mean it really is the correct view, or a rational one.

2 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Would you mind expanding on that for me?

i posted before I finished. It's an embarrassing issue. ☺️

Market sentiment isn't a detailed analysis or a necessary a rational one.  It's a load of traders going "oh noes. megaton!"

I don't think you can hold Microsoft up as some titan of corporate kindness. Like, the Big Team Battle matchmaking bug in Halo Infinite is still in there, months after launch. The live weather system in Flight Simulator got broken in the last major update in November, and still isn't working properly. Note that I'm not particularly having a go at Microsoft here, but this is fairly normal for big companies. The matchmaking in Tintanfall 1 & 2 hasn't worked for years. Modern Warfare is full of bugs that haven't been fixed, and UI issues that make it a proper headfuck to install. Hardly ideal, but Sony are no worse than any of their competitors.

I've been thinking about COD. Activision seems to be extremely heavily reliant on a yearly release. I'm hoping MS will take the time to re-evaluate that. I'd like to see them hive off the multiplayer to its own thing. Support it for more than a year. Then you could take your time on a completely separate single player experience. Maybe the MP could be F2P (Which seems to have helped Halo) and possibly even multi platform. That would also hopefully free up some of those talented studios currently toiling in the COD mines.

11 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Next COD game on the PS5.

45569-commando-atari-2600-screenshot-wat

:lol:

Same energy:

The Donkey Kong story is incredible and is pretty much exactly what we're laughing about.

36 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

I wonder how long these contractual agreements last. 

That's interesting more for the fact they needed to come out and say something, than the actual words. Did they make a similar comment about Bethesda? If not, this does indicate Sony is a bit more concerned with this development. 

5 minutes ago, amorenod said:

There's also that UWP nonsense, the sooner they go with their plans to allow full control of the installs, the better 

As I mentioned up thread, this is already there in the insider build, and works really well.

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's interesting more for the fact they needed to come out and say something, than the actual words. Did they make a similar comment about Bethesda? If not, this does indicate Sony is a bit more concerned with this development. 

They've just had $20B knocked off their stock price.

52 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

I wonder how long these contractual agreements last. 

I imagine there are few, if any, existing agreements for future releases (we saw Deathloop in the Bethesda acquisition, but that was clearly a timed exclusive, rather than an agreement that the game would be multiplatform).

I expect existing games, like Warzone, will remain multiplatform. I can't see them wanting to make Warzone exclusive, but I'm sure they could without breaking any contractual agreements by just releasing a Warzone 2.

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

As I mentioned up thread, this is already there in the insider build, and works really well.

Ah yes, sorry. I'm skim reading this thread, and all i got from your post before jumping to the next is that pc gamepass is now better.

3 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

Just picked up a PS5 digital from Currys for 266 quid!!!

The fire sale has started!!!! 🤣🤣

That had better be a shitty attempt at trolling. There are people in Japan still waiting to get one since launch.

7 minutes ago, Darwock said:

That had better be a shitty attempt at trolling. There are people in Japan still waiting to get one since launch.

Currys Clearance on eBay have had both types off and on last couple of days and there is a 10% off code too. 

also just picked up a series x for 337.

So only a tiny troll...

in all seriousness keep checking. They have got/had oled switches for 225, series s for 185, PS5 disc for 333

Screenshot_20220120-112942~2.jpg

45 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I imagine there are few, if any, existing agreements for future releases (we saw Deathloop in the Bethesda acquisition, but that was clearly a timed exclusive, rather than an agreement that the game would be multiplatform).

I expect existing games, like Warzone, will remain multiplatform. I can't see them wanting to make Warzone exclusive, but I'm sure they could without breaking any contractual agreements by just releasing a Warzone 2.

Sony tends to have various exclusive COD deals in place like early access etc. So I wonder if they have any deals like that in place for future COD games prior to the acquisition

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

It's more likely a "calm the investors, please don't tank our share price any further" thing

CoD is like FIFA, appeals beyond the game industry itself to people who buy one game every couple of years, so it doesn't surprise me at all some people don't know the difference between Activision and its various studios.

I really expect MS to rename Activision "Call of Duty Studios" or something like that.

2 hours ago, dfq23 said:

Just picked up a PS5 digital from Currys for 266 quid!!!

The fire sale has started!!!! 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220120-112934~2.jpg

Did you pick up that sweet copy of Time Crisis to compliment your PS5?

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I really expect MS to rename Activision "Call of Duty Studios" or something like that.

Or drop the over-arching Activision brand name altogether, and just run with the individual studio names - Infinity Ward, Treyarch, et al.

Could potentially do similar with Blizzard, if they're really keen to eradicate the more toxic brand names from existence.

Did this get posted yet? It's every studio, game and property Microsoft own now. Quite a mind-boggling read!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-studios-list-microsoft-studios-upcoming-studios-games-6400

Interestingly there are a bunch of big multiformat franchises in there, for example Doom, I had forgotten Microsoft even owned iD Software, so maybe they won't make stuff like COD Xbox only after all. Probably will make Sony pay through the teeth for it though!

6 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Did this get posted yet? It's every studio, game and property Microsoft own now. Quite a mind-boggling read!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-studios-list-microsoft-studios-upcoming-studios-games-6400

Interestingly there are a bunch of big multiformat franchises in there, for example Doom, I had forgotten Microsoft even owned iD Software, so maybe they won't make stuff like COD Xbox only after all. Probably will make Sony pay through the teeth for it though!

Doom will be PC/Xbox/xCloud exclusive from now.

Although I'm pretty sure the next game from iD will be a new Quake.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I'd be very surprised if Doom remained multiformat after Eternal. The Bethesda buyout was still very recent, so none of their studios have released a game yet that wasn't already heading to other platforms. Microsoft have stated that future games would be exclusives.

They've been really clear that the majority of the Zenimax stuff is exclusive already, I don't think there's any reason to expect anything from them to be multi-plat. And, once any contracts Sony may have on eg COD expire, I don't imagine their strategy is to keep putting those out on PlayStation either. They did the same nod and wink prior to the deal closing last time, too. Anything in development or legally committed to will release as planned, anything new - no chance.