IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .

MidWalian

Companies successs is sinusoidal. Horrendous culture aside, Activision is clearly on a downward trend software wise. CoD's fall from grace continues, Overwatch development has stalled, Diablo is a way off, WoW is decaying. Then lay ontop of that the workplace issues.

They will bounce back (assuming consumers forgive them), so MS are buying in the dip. Thats huge, value for money long term.

5 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Also, Activison, Blizzard and King are fully immersed in microtransactions, loot boxes, gambling and game design based around addiction. I desperately dont want that to infect the excellent devs MS have already bought. 

I worry that once numbers stall/MS are dominant,they are going to show further growth in gamepass to their share owners by packing gamepass games with all thy bullshit and people will defend it because the games are ‘free’. 

it’s interesting/depressing that all first party games on gamepass that have been developed during full ownership of MS (Flight sim, Forza, Halo, seas of Thieves) are all mediums that support MTX at their core. 

3 hours ago, footle said:

Flight Simulator - has always been, and arguably they're not microtransactions.

Halo - is only so because... the relevant bit is free to play: no game pass required.

Forza Horizon - where's the microtransaction?

Exactly, I don't agree that current first party stuff is packed with micro transactions, unless it's a literal thing. Perhaps the map of hidden stuff in Forza Horizon? To make The Crew (original) playable, I had to buy a car with a sum of in-game currency only feasible through paying real money, but luckily the amount was covered by a pre-order bonus. You can literally do any Forza Horizon without ever touching any of the extra cars, there's hundreds of them. Ignore the DLC if you want, it's only more of the same.

I feel like you need to look to Ubisoft RPGs for micro transactions, as we're thinking of them here. In-game currency (of which there are multiple!), literally better equipment, timed XP boosted, etc. Whale stuff. Not as bad as mobile gaming, but we have a $60 buy-in so hopefully we never get it quite that bad.

Flight Simulator, at its core, for decades, has allowed 3rd party expansions. DLC before "DLC" was coined, or even available (because you'd buy it on disks or CDs). 

We're very focused on Game Pass here, rightly, but these things also sell outside of that. To maximise profit, they could have done all this stupid shit now, providing shareholder value now. 

@dizogg was right in that we really don't owe any allegiance here. Will Microsoft get into the inevitable hubris phase? Dunno, they're a ways behind Sony, monetarily and, I'd say, in terms of "feels" and other subjective stuff posted on here. But all this charting out the death of consumer choice, Apple buying Sony, etc. (which, if it happens, might be more related to EV cars?) is just all weird.

If Microsoft screw it up, vote with your wallet like we did with the XB1 launch.

7 minutes ago, PaB said:

Revenue of $8bn Profit of around $2bn . And they paid $70bn. 

Well yes, but techinically the $70Bn hasn't disappeared (apart from not being able to spend it on anything else) and MS as a whole have $130Bn in cash. The shareholders care that $2Bn is added to the bottom line.

12 minutes ago, PaB said:

It’s going to take a long time for pay back, and still keep shareholders happy. Of course you will get some pull through if it drives hardware /subscription sales but I expect a lot of consolidation in support functions over the next 5 years. 

But they wouldn’t have done if they didnt think they could make it work from a financial standpoint. Good luck to them .

And that last bit is exactly it, isn't it. I mean, how long will they take to recoup the $20bn for buying that speech synthesis company? At the scale of revenue of these megacorps, I think they're thinking beyond the usual return-on-investment stuff. That was quite clear with the $8bn for ZeniMax. Got cash? Buy capabilities. $500m for a cloud-based security company. Etc. Etc.

23 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

It was downhill from CoD2, if you mean it went from selling 6 million copies to selling over 30million at the series peak, then I suppose you could say it was downhill from there...

Idiotic? They are buying someone with revenue of $8Bn a year. It may not be providing the games you want but from a business perspective for MS it ticks all the right boxes.

Yeah, downhill from CoD2 in that CoD2 was a good game and then the others weren’t as good. You’re basically backing up what I’m saying! Microsoft have bought CoD......bang it out.......loads of people buy it, so it must be good. Kerching!

Returnal, the best game I’ve ever played and an all time classic. Far higher quality. Far better pedigree. Probably not going to sell anywhere near as many copies even though it deserves to.

Which would I sooner have? The latter. I want Microsoft to be making games like Returnal or getting some exciting big 3rd party  exclusives. Remember Halo? How about PGR? Rallisport Challenge? Fable? Forza Horizon? Forza Motorsport? All new IP at one point. Why not make some new IP then? Well, why bother when you can just buy lots of shit up and pump out cash cows to a casual gaming market?

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Maybe Sony will put a team on a first person shooter so we can actually get something new. Battelfield was a disaster and other than Crossfire X I can't think of any traditional military FPS coming out this year, and that's exclusive to Xbox too I think. Personally i'm much more exited for that due to Remedy's involvement than anything the COD mines spit out

Nah we'll just get another Killzone*... :) Admittedly KZ2 looked pretty though.

* I didn't actually mind the Killzone series TBH. Probably spent more time on them than any of the CoD games.

Yeah, you've changed my mind fellow Sony stans. This is a nothing burger. Won't effect Sony at all.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-drops-9-6-wake-001506944.html

Microsoft Deal Wipes $20 Billion Off Sony's Market Value in a Day

I can't see how Sony survives 2024. They took a gamble and turned their back on having a broad catalogue to concentrate on fewer games at higher prices and this is where we are.

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Yeah, downhill from CoD2 in that CoD2 was a good game and then the others weren’t as good. You’re basically backing up what I’m saying! Microsoft have bought CoD......bang it out.......loads of people buy it, so it must be good. Kerching!

Returnal, the best game I’ve ever played and an all time classic. Far higher quality. Far better pedigree. Probably not going to sell anywhere near as many copies even though it deserves to.

Which would I sooner have? The latter. I want Microsoft to be making games like Returnal or getting some exciting big 3rd party  exclusives. Remember Halo? How about PGR? Rallisport Challenge? Fable? Forza Horizon? Forza Motorsport? All new IP at one point. Why not make some new IP then? Well, why bother when you can just buy lots of shit up and pump out cash cows to a casual gaming market?

Sony didn't create the studio behind Returnal did they? What about Starfield? Announced for Series X so far and all new IP that are on the way:.

Memory Infinite (Playism), first person puzzle adventure Call of the Sea (Raw Fury), narrative-driven space combat shooter Chorus (Deep Silver), sci-fi combat game Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco), horror game Scorn (Ebb), co-operative shooter Second Extinction (Systemic Reaction), action RPG The Ascent (Neon Giant/Curve Digital) and psychological horror The Medium (Blooper Team).

6 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Yeah, downhill from CoD2 in that CoD2 was a good game and then the others weren’t as good.

Modern Warfare and MW2 were the best rated CoDs (based on metacritic) so it could be argued that they did actually get better after CoD2. But you continue moaning about games that you haven't actually played being crap.

5 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I own neither a PS5 or a Series console and therefore am just here for the popcorn, but could you have a quick look in your crystal ball for next week's lottery numbers for me please seeing as you know it's just going to be "cash cows for the casual gaming market" that will come from this.

5 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

How long does it take to create brand new stuff? How long ago did Microsoft buy studios already committed to other projects? How long does it take to integrate big teams so they're running efficiently? 

What people demand of Microsoft are good games, right now, but no not those games other games you know, without buying studios but also somehow not paying for exclusives. And honestly, I don't care if any of that is incorrect or I'm misremembering bizarre conversations on this forum over the years, because it's all nonsense.

Spencer is obviously setting up 1st part stuff for the future. We don't know what that will look like. Could be cash cows made exclusive, could be that and something else. Who knows.

Lot of silly crystal ball gazing going on here.

Also it looks like Microsoft is rehabilitating ActiBlizzard. My partner, a huge Blizzard fan has turned her back on the company for two years. What would it take to get her on board for Diablo 2/4? "Lots of harassers getting sacked rather than protected."

https://www.reuters.com/business/activision-blizzard-fires-more-people-sexual-harassment-probe-report-says-2022-01-17/

NEW YORK, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Activision Blizzard Inc (ATVI.O) said on Monday it has fired or pushed out more than three dozen employees and disciplined another 40 since July to address allegations of sexual harassment and other misconduct at the videogame company.

After completing reviews, "37 employees have exited the company and another 44 received written reprimands, formal warnings or other discipline," the company said, confirming a report in the Wall Street Journal

It's not everything but it's a start.

4 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I can't see how Sony survives 2024. They took a gamble and turned their back on having a broad catalogue to concentrate on fewer games at higher prices and this is where we are.

Sony Interactive Entertainment? Other bits of Sony seem to be doing OK, enough to roll out a second prototype of their EV platform, recently.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Sony Interactive Entertainment? Other bits of Sony seem to be doing OK, enough to roll out a second prototype of their EV platform, recently.

I should have been more specific. Yes SIE. This is similar to the pricing announcement which pretty much killed the Saturn in terms of impact. You can bet COD players have taken notice and will be switching as soon as they can.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Either way, I think it’s now pretty clear what direction Microsoft are heading in. Stack them high, sell them low. Quantity over quality. Loads of games targeted at a more casual audience, on a Netflix style subscription service. Their flagship games haven’t got anywhere near the quality of the competition so far. I think that will be the level they stay at going forwards. That might fly with a lot of people but it’s not going to fly with me. I want the best of the best. Brand new games that push things forward. Hardcore gamers games. Stuff like Returnal. Look at Sony’s recent acquisitions.....

Bluepoint AAA quality.

Housemarque AAA quality.

Sucker Punch AAA quality.

The difference in strategy is pretty obvious. Sony are cherry picking the best of the best to stand alongside their other studios that are already deemed to be some of the best in the industry.  Microsoft are seemingly throwing bags of money at any old shite and hoping something sticks. 

The big question is.......when are Microsoft actually going to start releasing any of these games?!?!? Crash Bandicoot for Christmas 2024???

But they haven’t bought AAA quality, they’ve bought a load of old ip that’s dead in the water and a couple of games that are big with the more “casual” player.......for $68 billion. Also, are folk going to be playing CoD to infinity and Beyond? I doubt it. Someone will make a brand new ip and everyone will eventually jump ship. Last CoD I played was Modern Warfare on 360. 

It’s personal taste to an extent but the activision blizzard deal has bought AAA IP’s for sure. Overwatch, Diablo, CoD.

You could disagree on the ‘quality’ aspect but these are all tentpole releases. That will sell loads and have a long shelf life one way or another and none of those are dead in the water by any means.

It’s interesting that you list Bluepoint as a company whilst saying you want developers that push things forward. All they’ve done to date is remake some old games. I mean, I liked said remakes a lot but come on.

Just now, scottcr said:

IMO - Sony need to make the PS5 as *available as fuck* - and take a bath on the margin, maybe on the digital only one.  

Sony can't get the parts which is why they're making more PS4s. Meanwhile MS stopped production on their last gen consoles quietly at the end of 2021. Can't speak for the UK but you can pick a Series S up anywhere right now.

Just now, Unofficial Who said:

Sony can't get the parts which is why they're making more PS4s. Meanwhile MS stopped production on their last gen consoles quietly at the end of 2021. Can't speak for the UK but you can pick a Series S up anywhere right now.

yeah - I think it's fair to say that Sony have fucked it this gen.  

1 minute ago, Unofficial Who said:

They also did some resupplying of places right before Xmas. Good time to hit the stores and seem to be more on the way.

get the digital only one down to 250 quid and get a bundle on it - they need to do what MS did with the orignal xbox.  I bought the fuck out of that when they massively reduced it and bundled Halo, PGR and JSRF