Jump to content
IGNORED

Microsoft has acquired Activision Blizzard. Woah. .


MidWalian
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I do get why people are laughing even if it is a bit immature, the complaint all through the last gen was Microsoft had no games, they bought some games and got a "meh, it's just indies", so they brought some AAAs and got a "meh" and so bought some more.

 

Like at no point can you say your complaint wasn't addressed, thoroughly even, it's just that y'know those complaints were coming from a fanboy perspective and they kind of didn't want them to be addressed, they just wanted the complaint as justification.


I get the schadenfreude that people are enjoying, if they’ve got a favourite multinational, but 'buying up the already existing games' isn’t an answer to the having exclusives. There was an clear assumption of additional production from within MS. 
 

Look at Sony with the PS3 launch, Xbox with the One launch. When either of them get too far in the lead they become completely awful for the consumer. MS haven’t suddenly changed, just like Sony haven’t. So of course I don’t want them to buy up the industry. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I get the schadenfreude that people are enjoying, if they’ve got a favourite multinational, but 'buying up the already existing games' isn’t an answer to the having exclusives. There was an clear assumption of additional production from within MS. 

 

It's not like games are a finite quantity though, if the market is growing (which it is, dramatically) there will be an ever growing number of developers and publishers to meet that demand, it's just that they're generally in areas that 40-something gamers don't care about like indies, mobile, South Korea and China. Like I'm looking forwards to whatever Mihoyo and Pearl Abyss do next, but I'm probably the only one on here. Is the complaint really that there are less, or is it that they're buying up the only franchises you have nostalgia for? Because I don't think the latter is an argument deserving of respect, really.

 

It's a bit like the specious argument that Disney might have "a monopoly on superheroes" as if creating sticking '-man' on the end of various animal references was some lost technology.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, Activison, Blizzard and King are fully immersed in microtransactions, loot boxes, gambling and game design based around addiction. I desperately dont want that to infect the excellent devs MS have already bought. 
 

I worry that once numbers stall/MS are dominant,they are going to show further growth in gamepass to their share owners by packing gamepass games with all thy bullshit and people will defend it because the games are ‘free’. 
 

it’s interesting/depressing that all first party games on gamepass that have been developed during full ownership of MS (Flight sim, Forza, Halo, seas of Thieves) are all mediums that support MTX at their core. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

It's not like games are a finite quantity though, if the market is growing (which it is, dramatically) there will be an ever growing number of developers and publishers to meet that demand, it's just that they're generally in areas that 40-something gamers don't care about like indies, mobile, South Korea and China. Like I'm looking forwards to whatever Mihoyo and Pearl Abyss do next, but I'm probably the only one on here. Is the complaint really that there are less, or is it that they're buying up the only franchises you have nostalgia for? Because I don't think the latter is an argument deserving of respect, really.

 

It's a bit like the specious argument that Disney might have "a monopoly on superheroes" as if creating sticking '-man' on the end of various animal references was some lost technology.


 

Selkiro is one of the greatest games ever made. Otherwise I have no other interest in Activision bar maybe Tony Hawk. A bit. I love my Xbox so I wont miss out on anything. 
 

But yeah, I’m really worried about Disney’s take over of cinema too. Not super hero’s - they created that - but the whole industry and the breadth of output is suffering sure. 

 

I don’t think it’s old man shouting at sky syndrome to worry about media giants buying up the industry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:


I get the schadenfreude that people are enjoying, if they’ve got a favourite multinational, but 'buying up the already existing games' isn’t an answer to the having exclusives. There was an clear assumption of additional production from within MS. 
 

Look and Sony with the PS3 launch, Xbox with the One launch. When either of them get too far in the lead they become completely awful for the consumer. MS haven’t suddenly changed, just like Sony haven’t. So of course I don’t want them to buy up the industry. 
 

 

Microsoft, when it comes to videogames, has changed massively - the contrast with the Don Mattrick era is obvious. The danger is that when Phil Spencer eventually leaves, it could change back again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Also, Activison, Blizzard and King are fully immersed in microtransactions, loot boxes, gambling and game design based around addiction. I desperately dont want that to infect the excellent devs MS have already bought. 
 

I worry that once numbers stall/MS are dominant,they are going to show further growth in gamepass to their share owners by packing gamepass games with all thy bullshit and people will defend it because the games are ‘free’. 
 

it’s interesting/depressing that all first party games on gamepass that have been developed during full ownership of MS (Flight sim, Forza, Halo, seas of Thieves) are all mediums that support MTX at their core. 
 

 

 

The move to an even great focus on hats is inevitable and as long as the games keep delivering the goods enough for people like me to not take my money elsewhere, they will keep pushing the boundaries. It still absolutely amazed me that EA continue to sell the base FIFA game and not make it free to play. Maybe their license says that they must charge for the game and FIFA get a certain cut of game sales but not the fut packs.

 

Game pass will eventually be all based around a free to play model, with most of the income focussed through mtx, loot boxes and gambling. Game pass is a Trojan horse, for sure, but a very stealthy one and I'll enjoy it while I can. Longer term, indie Devs will always exist and there is more quality content there than ever before. I don't see that changing in a fully game pass world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Microsoft, when it comes to videogames, has changed massively - the contrast with the Don Mattrick era is obvious. The danger is that when Phil Spencer eventually leaves, it could change back again.

 

Its certainly a danger.  I think Spencer's aware of that though. I'd be surprised if the next 'CEO of Gaming' isn't so some promoted from the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the IMMEDIATE near-term surely, after the weak reception it has received - throw Vanguard on Game Pass right now to get those player numbers back up.

 

I am actually pretty sure it will happen. Soooooo many microtransactions aren't getting purchased at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, monkeydog said:

 

Its certainly a danger.  I think Spencer's aware of that though. I'd be surprised if the next 'CEO of Gaming' isn't so some promoted from the team.

 

Agreed, the documentary really made it clear that current Microsoft do not reflect on the don mattrick era positively.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BeeJay said:

 

Agreed, the documentary really made it clear that current Microsoft do not reflect on the don mattrick era positively.

 

This documentary should be compulsory viewing for rllmukers. It's really well made and very entertaining. The fact the original xbox barely happened and now within 20 years they have bought Activision is even more eye opening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

 

This documentary should be compulsory viewing for rllmukers. It's really well made and very entertaining. The fact the original xbox barely happened and now within 20 years they have bought Activision is even more eye opening. 

 

I assumed that it was widely watched, but then again, I haven't seen much chat about it and lots of the comments in this thread clearly read like the commenter hasn't watched it. Or maybe they have and don't believe the content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dfq23 said:

Just saw someone mention that MS could release a COD "master chief collection" style pack with every game and map

 

 

 

200 (2).gif

 

Activision could have done that though, right? And they didn't, probably because there'd be nowhere for it to fit into their schedule without eating into whatever this year's Call of Duty is doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good on Microsoft I say. They’ve proven themselves to be very gamer friendly over the last few years. Perhaps Sony might be forced to improve their shocking customer service and back away from charging 70 quid a pop for their games. That can only be a good thing. 
 

Let’s make hay while the sunshine shines as the saying goes and enjoy the benefits that’s this brings. If in the future they turn evil then vote with your wallet. They’ve not got a monopoly on the air we breath or water we drink. It’s just video games and there are already more great ones out there than any of us will ever get the chance to play properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outside of FIFA are loot boxes still a thing? Does overwatch still have them? Devs have been moving away from them en masse since various authority bodies started getting involved on whether they constitute gambling or not in favour of battle passes and outright straight up cosmetics. As for King, it's incredibly evident just from this thread that mobile gaming and console gaming are entirely different beasts. Microsoft could have MTX'd the fuck out of everything before now, they didn't need to spend 70bn to stealth introduce them to the library.

 

Edit: sorry, I read the thread then my brain went back to @BeeJay's post and I forgot to quote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

3EBC29D8-102E-44BC-BD45-55C01612F972.thumb.jpeg.db7971194f06a290688f47d4ac76ad64.jpeg

 

Can we just appreciate that the gaming leadership team has people of colour and a lot of women in the most senior roles? Surely that’s a good indication of how MS like to do things?

 

It's great.

 

Cynthia Per-Lee must be shitting it though.  She's in for a busy few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Outside of FIFA are loot boxes still a thing? Does overwatch still have them? Devs have been moving away from them en masse since various authority bodies started getting involved on whether they constitute gambling or not in favour of battle passes and outright straight up cosmetics. As for King, it's incredibly evident just from this thread that mobile gaming and console gaming are entirely different beasts. Microsoft could have MTX'd the fuck out of everything before now, they didn't need to spend 70bn to stealth introduce them to the library.

 

Edit: sorry, I read the thread then my brain went back to @BeeJay's post and I forgot to quote.

 

Hopefully you are right that explicit loot boxes will die off, certainly for microsoft products, but skins, map packs etc. are firmly in microsoft's plans and all of AB's big games either extensively use them already or can easily adopt them. My feeling is that ultimately, game pass income will mostly come from skins, map packs etc. and not from the direct income that the subscription costs, hopefully keeping the subscription fee down for those of us that have no interest in the skins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

 

It's great.

 

Cynthia Per-Lee must be shitting it though.  She's in for a busy few years.

 

Yeah, the one huge positive in this, is that they have a diverse management team that can hopefully rip out the rot at Activision. 

 

But it's no surprise that a company that generates profits through unethical business practice and consumer exploitation, is also rotten inside. There is a lot to change there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

 

This documentary should be compulsory viewing for rllmukers. It's really well made and very entertaining. The fact the original xbox barely happened and now within 20 years they have bought Activision is even more eye opening. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

 

This documentary should be compulsory viewing for rllmukers. It's really well made and very entertaining. The fact the original xbox barely happened and now within 20 years they have bought Activision is even more eye opening. 

I've scrolled back a few pages, what documentary is this and where can it be watched?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, K said:

 

Activision could have done that though, right? And they didn't, probably because there'd be nowhere for it to fit into their schedule without eating into whatever this year's Call of Duty is doing.

 

Yeh but they weren't looking to lure over all the casual gamers thinking of buying a console.

If straight away they get every single COD game free with Gamepass then it's gonna be a hell of an incentive.

After all the best selling game last year was Vanguard. The second best selling was Cold War.

They just want that sweet sweet subscription money guaranteed to roll in every month and are happy to spend whatever. It's just the Netflix model but instead of game studios they buy up Ryan Reynolds, The Rock, Leo Di Caprio etc and instead of every COD it's every Seinfeld or Friends

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, K said:

 

Activision could have done that though, right? And they didn't, probably because there'd be nowhere for it to fit into their schedule without eating into whatever this year's Call of Duty is doing.

 

The business priorities are really quite different.

 

A third-party publisher releasing titles across all platforms vs a platform owner attempting to create content for a subscription service to increase subscriber numbers.

 

It's why I think Microsoft will immediately dive into a new Crash and a new Spyro - family games are quite a big hole in the game pass library at the moment, and they just acquired two of the most recognisable family game IPs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.