IGNORED

Moon Knight - Disney+ - March 2022

Chindie

Spoiler

Surely the point of the “it’s one season” talk was to setup the ending where Marc/Stephen are free from Khonshu. 
Only for the deal to be scuppered by the 3rd personality that’s been hinted at the entire show and setup season 2 where they discover Jake and the fact they have been deceived  

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Thought that finale was bloody great! They really stuck the landing with this one! I really hope there's more to come.

Agreed, but there was a couple things I didn't like

Spoiler

I thought Ammit looked a bit shit CGI wise, especially compared to Tawaret.

Also the two CGI god giants battling it out was a bit naff and seemed to make the use of an avatar a bit redundant if they could just fight each other.

All the human and character moments were great though especially our new Egyptian Superhero 😁

Hmmm, I didn't really have a problem with...

Spoiler

... the CGI for Ammit, but I do agree the fight between her and Khonshu was pretty much irrellevant.

I don't think the

Spoiler

CGI for Ammit was any worse than the other CGI in the series, I think it's more that the design for Ammit comes across as more cartoon-y than Taweret or Khonshu and makes it look worse than it actually is technically. Why? In trying to make a character that is an animal but also capable of human actions, its a balancing act of making them true to the animal but also able to do things a human can do, and in this case they made it harder by committing to the Egyptian trope of the gods being literally animal headed. Khonshu's design is inherently very static, and a hippo is easier to make have human movements while maintaining their 'hipponess' - they have mammalian eyes, skin, hair details, their heads have the musculature to 'fudge' being able to speak and emote. Crocodiles don't have any of that, so the line is far smaller. As a result Ammit has quite cartoon-y elements - the eyes are sized up and slightly shifted, the way they fudged being able to speak and emote like a human feel wrong for a crocodile, and the scales and so on for a crocodile give you less leeway to humanise things.

Well I think we'd had better episodes in the series but it nailed that landing overall. 

How bloody cool was it to see Mr Knight and Moon Knight in sync fighting. 

I have a feeling we'll get S2 and Marc and Steven are not gonna be happy. 

Overall it was great to have something quite different to the other parts of the MCU.  

Spoiler

It couldn't top last week's episode which was a real high point for Marvel TV but was still a great ending to a bloody good series.

When the credits rolled I was like whut? but then the after credits sequence is a proper ending and sets the next series up proper. They kept hinting at the casket with the third persona in and I was convinced that when Steven/Marc were back in Flanders' office they'd go and set him free but obviously I was wrong.

Can't wait to see if there's a second series and if so, I hope Moon Knight is doing his "helping the less fortunate" bit.

Layla as Tawaret's avatar was brilliant, I hope she gets more screen time too.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't think the

Hide contents

CGI for Ammit was any worse than the other CGI in the series, I think it's more that the design for Ammit comes across as more cartoon-y than Taweret or Khonshu and makes it look worse than it actually is technically. Why? In trying to make a character that is an animal but also capable of human actions, its a balancing act of making them true to the animal but also able to do things a human can do, and in this case they made it harder by committing to the Egyptian trope of the gods being literally animal headed. Khonshu's design is inherently very static, and a hippo is easier to make have human movements while maintaining their 'hipponess' - they have mammalian eyes, skin, hair details, their heads have the musculature to 'fudge' being able to speak and emote. Crocodiles don't have any of that, so the line is far smaller. As a result Ammit has quite cartoon-y elements - the eyes are sized up and slightly shifted, the way they fudged being able to speak and emote like a human feel wrong for a crocodile, and the scales and so on for a crocodile give you less leeway to humanise things.

Yes that's a much better way to look at it actually. Well put.

4 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why do they still have proper endings hidden in the credits? So many people don't see them!

If someone's this far into the MCU/Superhero boom and not watching after the end credits, more fool them.

Best thing about the TV shows though is you can skip right to it.

I thought that last episode was a bit rubbish.

I can't see me ever re-watching this series- so overall it's a fail from me.

I get the impression that the show runner wasn't really a comics fan in general.

Kaiju in the MCU? Lovely. And the fight direction was great. They’re still struggling to put together solid stories to tie it all together but I look forward to seeing more of these characters.

I really liked that. There were some properly naff bits in there, but like with the show in general, it feels like it’s greater than the sum of its parts. Isaac is doing a lot of the leg work, but there’s a lot to like even ignoring his show-stealing performance.

I really like Khonshu, too. His voice is great and even though the Kaiju fight was kind of dumb, I just like seeing him so it didn’t bother me.

That post credits bit was kind of weird.

Spoiler

It would have had a lot more impact without the silly “say hello to my little friend” voice.

Glancing out of the window just now, it was nice to see the crescent* moon in the sky. Nice bit of marketing there Disney. ;)

*It's in the wrong phase for the Moon Knight logo, but hey, where's Khonshu when you need the skies moving, eh?

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Was “are you an Egyptian superhero” girl Kamala Khan?

Er, no. Kamala Khan is a different actor altogether.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er, no. Kamala Khan is a different actor altogether.

I’m misremembering what they look like then

Post-credit scenes that are part of the story should be banned. Pure fucking shit. Ridiculous. 

Nickel and diming the viewer for more instead of telling a narrative.

7 hours ago, Festoon said:

Post-credit scenes that are part of the story should be banned. Pure fucking shit. Ridiculous. 

Nickel and diming the viewer for more instead of telling a narrative.

It makes people watch the credits, which are the best part, when the movie ends and the reading starts. Woohooo.

I only watched the first episode and it did nothing for me so I didn't bother with the rest, but on a more general point (because there have been a number of comments about getting a second series), has Disney confirmed any of the shows getting another outing? I think I read on here that Loki has, but any others? 

I'm not sure if I want another season of this, as much as I enjoyed it. Some of the writing was properly stupid and I think the post credits means you would need some very, very clever writing to make it work.

Also that Osiris avatar guy was beyond terrible in every scene he was in. I don't know what they were thinking.

54 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I only watched the first episode and it did nothing for me so I didn't bother with the rest, but on a more general point (because there have been a number of comments about getting a second series), has Disney confirmed any of the shows getting another outing? I think I read on here that Loki has, but any others? 

Only Loki so far, but most of the others are getting continued in one way or another- WandaVision by Dr Strange, Cap and Falcon by the new Captain America movie etc

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm not sure if I want another season of this, as much as I enjoyed it. Some of the writing was properly stupid and I think the post credits means you would need some very, very clever writing to make it work.

Also that Osiris avatar guy was beyond terrible in every scene he was in. I don't know what they were thinking.

I got the feeling that a lot of the job (both onscreen and behind-the-scenes) appointments were nepotistic as being friends or family of the showrunner. 

Thought that was a weak finale. First two eps were a lot of fun. 3 and 4 were really poor. Last week’s was solid and a return to form, but this was just dull, and felt like a retread of what they’d already done.

Overall not a top 3 Marvel show, and can’t say I’m especially excited for more.

Next?

7 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Heart shouldn't have balanced if there was a 

Reveal hidden contents

Third personality.

Spoiler

At that point, there were two, as one of the three had died.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

At that point, there were two, as one of the three had died.

But that's not balanced. They referenced the problem being that one of them didn't know the truth.