IGNORED

Archive 81 - Supernatural mystery on Netflix

FishyFish

Been leaving my phone in the other room when I’m watching stuff lately to stop myself getting distracted. Massive relief when I could go and find out where I knew the lead actor dude from. 

He was Grandmaster Flash from The Get Down!

Enjoyed the first episode a lot. I’m in. 

Finished it and I really enjoyed it, reminded me of Prince of Darkness which I adore. However, I think @FishyFish is correct in that the journey there is great but the ending is limp and sometimes actions inexcusable

Spoiler

Melody rescues Jess, for then to afterwards just stands there instead of following her?. WTF???. Could have been fixed with her holding the door to allow her to escape. It was just so dumb as Melody was a well written character but this was just rubbish plot device.

Other stuff like not tying Davenport up and leaving him with the gun, I wonder if that's going to bite them on the ass in the next season?.

Kaelego  looked rubbish too.

Overall, really enjoyed it, I know it’s not based on Lovecraft, but it was the best “Lovecraftian” show I’ve seen on TV in ages

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it overall (it has a ton of stupid decisions and just plain crap plotholes that's the norm for horror) was hoping it was a one and done though.  

I hope season 2...

Spoiler

He just remember a lot of sports winners and bets on them and plays the stock market then becomes a billionaire. Forgets about all this crap and has a life of luxury, coke and hookers. 

Thanks for the recommendation. Just finished episode one in bed, and I’m going to binge it. It’s intelligent with a great cast, and it makes me crave more.

I’m watching it on my phone with headphones in the dark. It’s great. 

I really enjoyed this up until episode 7, then it just went into absurdity. So many unexplained things.

Spoiler

And the 90s-style CGI for Kalaego didn't help matters. 

Why were the druggies locked on the sixth floor? Why was everyone huffing mould? Where did Samuel go in the end? 

And the biggest question: if Kalaego was so lonely and desperate for people to stay with him in the otherworld, why was he being such a scary bastard? If someone invites me to their house and they look like Predator, I'm definitely not staying.

11 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I really enjoyed this up until episode 7, then it just went into absurdity. So many unexplained things.

Hide contents

And the 90s-style CGI for Kalaego didn't help matters. 

Why were the druggies locked on the sixth floor? Why was everyone huffing mould? Where did Samuel go in the end? 

And the biggest question: if Kalaego was so lonely and desperate for people to stay with him in the otherworld, why was he being such a scary bastard? If someone invites me to their house and they look like Predator, I'm definitely not staying.

Spoiler

They were chanting, and the chanting made the mould grow. The mould was a sign of Kalaego's blessing. The druggies were paid in drugs to chant, so that the mould would continue to grow. I think the mould is like mana, and more of it helps strengheten the connection between the two dimensions. 

Kalaego is half demon half god. He looks like that because hes not human and from another dimension. 

I'm finding this oddly tough to get through. After episode 1 finished, I thought 'that was great', but it took me three sessions to finish. I find the main characters so incredibly dull to watch that after about 20 minutes I realise I'm not paying attention and pause it to go and do something else. I started episode 2 last night and after about 15 minutes just turned it off. (And watched half of Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched - a documentary about folk horror - which is great but 3 hours long!)

It's odd because this is the sort of thing that should be right up my street. I love slow burn, unexplained, subtly wrong stuff with occult/supernatural elements. But this is just leaving me cold.

It's a solid 7/10 for me, but I lost interest in a curve over the last 2 or 3 episodes.

Peaked in interest about ep 3 or 4, but I suspect I won't be curious about watching any more of it.

• 2 months later...