IGNORED

Archive 81 - Supernatural mystery on Netflix

FishyFish

This landed on Netflix on Friday and I decided to give it a go (despite already having a massive pile of shame of other things to watch). I've watched four episodes so far (half of it) and I'm really enjoying it.

Anyone else watching?

Its on my watch list but is it genuinely good?, don't want to watch the trailer. But I love my super natural horror but wary of stating something again and then getting burnt half way.

All I can say is that I’ve watched four episodes since yesterday, and might watch some more this evening. I’ve also not been tempted to fiddle with my phone while watching, which is a positive sign. Obviously it could all go downhill or end disappointingly, but I’m hoping it won’t.

There’s more to it than is revealed in the trailer, and there’s a nice sense of mystery to the whole thing rather than it being some sort of found-footage jump fest.

46 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

All I can say is that I’ve watched four episodes since yesterday, and might watch some more this evening. I’ve also not been tempted to fiddle with my phone while watching, which is a positive sign. Obviously it could all go downhill or end disappointingly, but I’m hoping it won’t.

There’s more to it than is revealed in the trailer, and there’s a nice sense of mystery to the whole thing rather than it being some sort of found-footage jump fest.

Cheers, will give this a go.

I'm watching and going to stick some more on now cos i'm enjoying it as well and btw a couple of episodes are directed by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead of Resolution, Spring and The Endless fame. 

1 hour ago, Piccolomini said:

I haven't watched this but I'm sure I'll hear all about it at work over the coming days, as I work at an archive and we have a big video digitalisation project running at the moment. 😅

Just be careful if your dead dad turns up in the footage your restoring. If he does. I'd recommend stopping. 

Would be interested to know if this drags in the same way Midnight Mass did. I enjoyed MM, but each episode could’ve been 45 minutes instead of an hour, or it could’ve been 6 episodes. 

Is Archive 81’s pace a little nippier?

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was excellent.  A cut above the generally 7/10 standard of most Netflix tv shows.

I'm now worried it's going to let me down, as US tv shows with a mystery always tend to start off well (setting up the mystery, posing unanswered questions), but tend to disappoint when the mystery is revealed.

Anyway, I'm totally in after 1 episode. I love the humming drone that seems to play in the background of every scene.  Really unsettling.

20 hours ago, yakumo said:

I'm finished episode 1, it's solid but this screams occult not supernatural to me.

Yeah, you’re probably right, although with perhaps a hint of cosmic horror.

I've finished it now and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s rare that I watch a full series as quickly as this, so it got something right.

I'm not sure that it quite nails the ending as satisfactorily as I wanted, but it doesn’t blow it either and I came away happy with the conclusion. I expect it was made on a limited budget but they make effective use of it, with the story and characters driving engagement.

4 episodes left, but I noticed

Spoiler

Floating stuff now and then, it looks too CG and deliberate it has to be something?.  Don't spoil anything in case, but they're so obvious.