IGNORED

Your most prized retro item

CovisGod

My Super NT or Mega SG, I can't pick between them.

One thing's for sure, if I had the bailiffs at the door and I had to sell off gaming items my PS5 / Xbox Series X / Switch would all be on their way to CEX way before I got rid of either of those.

I imagine that when I finally getting around to building a MiSTer that'll be joining them too.

My two mini Nintendo consoles signed on the bottom by the late Masayuke Uemura who was at the National Video Games museum in Sheffield a couple of years ago giving a presentation. 

I open all my games, so I could only deem something “prized” based on how much I enjoy playing it.

I did re-buy a new Wario Ware Inc. online (I can’t remember what it cost) which I’m pretty happy with as it’s one of my all-time favourites and I was daft to get rid of my own copy. :P 

I guess it depends what you mean by prized.

For example…

My boxed SNES Mario Allstars pack, it’s not rare, it’s not that valuable, but it was my first console and an Xmas gift from my parents.

My mint, boxed Virtual Boy. It’s not a great console but mine was a new old stock one bought as an Xmas gift from my girlfriend (well wife now) and I treasure it.

My Zelda Game and Watch in lovely condition box, bought completely randomly in a charity shop by my brother and given to me one Xmas with a label from my niece. It’s there most surprising gift I’ve ever had and I was holding back the tears at the time.

If we move onto rare or valuable, who knows, it’s probably my NGPC collection (not complete) but I’m no where near as attached to that

For me it's a toss up between my consumer CRT and my Mega Drive / Mega CD combo.

The telly because it feels genuinely irreplaceable and I feel blessed having it. 

The MD/MCD because, aside from childhood nostalgia, it being an excellent revision for A/V output, it being a machine I've modified a lot over the years (furthering sentimental attachment).. it's just the most beautiful object and piece of electronics to me, especially during use with those red and green LED panels during CD unit use.

I stupidly sold almost all

my prized retro possessions when I moved house around 4 years ago. Mint boxed n64 game collection  - gone. US SNES with chrono trigger, FF3, Metroid, DKC and loads of other classics - gone. Game boy pocket, GBA, DS, all gone along with now super expensive games all gone. Long before then I sold my modded Saturn with ram pack, all the fighters, stacks of games - gone. 

so I guess I now have a bunch of mega drive carts so my prized one is a battered old n64 and growing cart only collection and my Mister. Far fewer boxes kicking around I guess! 

Probably my NES Turtles pack, Grandstand Pocket Scramble or Tomytronic 3D as those were all presents from childhood. 

As for more modern stuff, probably my copy of Symphony of the Night and also my copies of Gaiares and Probotector on the Megadrive. 

After reading the op I guess it’s minish cap!

I’m not massively attached to anything I own to be honest. I do love my launch Japanese Dreamcast with that cool orange box, and all the capcom fighting games I have. That’s probably the closest I have to a collection of anything I think. 

My boxed original copies of Zelda and Secret of Mana would be irreplaceable if something should ever happen to them. I’ve had them both since about 1994 and I now know from experience that a replacement copy would not be the same. 

Other than that, my little box of Phantasy Star Online games, promos, soundtracks and merchandise would be pretty hard/expensive to replace. 

Rarest is probably the 3.5” disk version of Sword of Honour on the C64.

I also managed to pick up The Great Giana Sisters on tape about two years after it was taken off UK shop shelves.

One of my favourites though is Katamari Damacy for PS2, signed by Keita Takahashi with a little Noby Noby Boy doodle he drew on it for me.

Jap megadrive, i think the pictures of the Japanese version of the megadrive on the front of mean machines rewired my child brain as it makes no sense that really prefer it over the euro version. The USA version with genesis plastered on it ain't too great too.

Also my recently RGB modded NTSC nes.

Thing is my really prized item should be my pc under the telly, most of the little time I have to play games is spent playing retro arch PS1 racers or N64 games. But I guess that's easier but more expensive to replace.

Just now, Darren said:

Indeed, I’m in that queue somewhere!

Ha :) Brilliant :)

I only heard about it the day before, I asked at work if I could have the day off, spent time on some forums, possibly the Edge forum, trying to find like minded folk to go with, had a few hours kip and off I went.

Parked up at Harold Wood first, got to the platform and THEN relaised the car park was for badge holders / season ticket holders only, so quickly dashed back, shifted the car to the Hospital car park at Romford, before heading to the train.

Was such a random day out, and I made sure to take a sneaky picture of him signing it, so I have proof it is his signature and not a fake. It currently resides in a strong perspex box, with a copy of said photograph in the back.

For me it's got to be my Rhythm Tengoku GBA import, living in it's GBA micro. And lets not forget it's infinitely cuter tiny Japanese box . Got it at launch, so it's only a retro purchase as it's old. But it's the GOAT. What a menu, what music. what a game.

6 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

For me it's got to be my Rhythm Tengoku GBA import, living in it's GBA micro. And lets not forget it's infinitely cuter tiny Japanese box . Got it at launch, so it's only a retro purchase as it's old. But it's the GOAT. What a menu, what music. what a game.

I feel so daft for missing out on it first time around. It's on my RS97 at least.

I don't care about collecting for resell profit later though, so maybe one day* I'll end up getting some cheap custom repro or battered used copy or whatever. 🙃

*not right now though

I sold my Master System as a kid (for an Aquarium) and I loved those fish, but I ain't ever selling games again. My wife'll just chuck em in a skip I suspect. That's half the reason I've gone digital. I'm not selling them, so no need to waste shelf space.

In terms of value, it's a toss up between my Amiga 4000 or boxed virtual boy. Both cost me a pittance and were car boot finds. 

In terms in what they mean to me, it's my Megadrive 1 that I had for Christmas in 1993. Nothing on earth would make me part with it.