IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - THE RESULTS! Now playing: Game of the Year 2021 - #5 thru #1! A new champion is crowned!

Treble

This is another instance where GamePass has been brilliant. I've read about what a big disappointment Forza 5 and Halo Infinite are and yet I'm enjoying the hell out of them! Maybe my expectations were lowered?

12 Minutes though, again I'm glad I got this on GamePass because I would have been furious if I'd had spent money on it. It's the first game I can think of which has prompted such a visceral reaction from me. I disliked it from the off and the further I got (until I quit) the more I disliked it. And then when I read the spoilers, wow! I felt angry on behalf of everyone who played to find out the twist.

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I haven’t played Deathloop but the vibe I get from looking around is that it’s decent, but not earth-shattering. And I think maybe the critics crying “GOTY!” were dealing with a pretty weak 2021 and thinking “well we’ve got to be hyped over something; what came out that was interesting enough to mention here, but isn’t too niche for our audience, but is different enough to avoid looking like we’re shilling?”

#NotAllCritics of course, but I feel like it fits a certain brief.

I am probably wrong, but I just get the feeling people are subconsciously giving the game Arkane points because the developer is well regarded. You could say, well Cyberpunk should have been the same, but unlike CP, Deathloop was feature complete with far fewer bugs. 

I just cannot understand the love for it, but there must be something there that I am just missing entirely. 

22 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

This is another instance where GamePass has been brilliant. I've read about what a big disappointment Forza 5 and Halo Infinite are and yet I'm enjoying the hell out of them! Maybe my expectations were lowered?

12 Minutes though, again I'm glad I got this on GamePass because I would have been furious if I'd had spent money on it. It's the first game I can think of which has prompted such a visceral reaction from me. I disliked it from the off and the further I got (until I quit) the more I disliked it. And then when I read the spoilers, wow! I felt angry on behalf of everyone who played to find out the twist.

I played all of 12 Minutes and found it to be mechanically and narratively interesting. It's tight and short and seeing where it all goes was very much interesting enough for me to play the whole thing. 

The ending is of course completely stupid and so much of it is in very, very poor taste with the player asked to do down-right objectional things. I can absolutely see these factors swinging the game towards "absolute turd" for people though. 

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

I am probably wrong, but I just get the feeling people are subconsciously giving the game Arkane points because the developer is well regarded. 

Nah. Deathloop is my RLLMUK GotY because I really liked it. I kind of admired Prey and Dishonored but didn't really love them because I found the worlds slightly unpleasant to be in. No such issue with Deathloop. Reminded me of Rapture but with a sense of humour. 

25 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Nah. Deathloop is my RLLMUK GotY because I really liked it. I kind of admired Prey and Dishonored but didn't really love them because I found the worlds slightly unpleasant to be in. No such issue with Deathloop. Reminded me of Rapture but with a sense of humour. 

Nice! I see the comparisons to Rapture alot and I don't personally feel it, but that is just me. 

42 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Nice! I see the comparisons to Rapture alot and I don't personally feel it, but that is just me. 

I mean the setting of both games is based around an enclave of scientists and artists who have sequestered themselves from the rest of the world in an attempt to radically alter mankind's future which has subsequently failed and the player is left to navigate the aftermath. Their levels reflect the personalities of the particular fictional thinker in charge of the area and also heavily feature inter-factional philosophical conflict. Oh, and both revolve around giving humans superpowers! 

Which is not to take away anything from Deathloop's achievement - I think they have great fun with the premise, and honestly it's such a rich concept for games I wouldn't mind if even more used this kind of setting!

18 minutes ago, imp said:

I mean the setting of both games is based around an enclave of scientists and artists who have sequestered themselves from the rest of the world in an attempt to radically alter mankind's future which has subsequently failed and the player is left to navigate the aftermath. Their levels reflect the personalities of the particular fictional thinker in charge of the area and also heavily feature inter-factional philosophical conflict. Oh, and both revolve around giving humans superpowers! 

Which is not to take away anything from Deathloop's achievement - I think they have great fun with the premise, and honestly it's such a rich concept for games I wouldn't mind if even more used this kind of setting!

I mean more from a level design and art point of view. In terms of deep narrative for sure, but I tend not to play my games for that, hence my lack of feeling the similarities. So yeah, very good point, I hadn't thought of it in that way. 

6 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I haven’t played Deathloop but the vibe I get from looking around is that it’s decent, but not earth-shattering. And I think maybe the critics crying “GOTY!” were dealing with a pretty weak 2021 and thinking “well we’ve got to be hyped over something; what came out that was interesting enough to mention here, but isn’t too niche for our audience, but is different enough to avoid looking like we’re shilling?”

#NotAllCritics of course, but I feel like it fits a certain brief.

Yeah I feel Deathloop and Returnal were both given the brief of 'timeloop shooter' and one went safe and one went hard.

I'm surprised Halo disappointed so many people. The actual gameplay (the thing that really matters) is the best the series has ever been both in multiplayer and single player. 

I assume people are disappointed because of the lack of co-op and maps or something?

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm surprised Halo disappointed so many people. The actual gameplay (the thing that really matters) is the best the series has ever been both in multiplayer and single player. 

I assume people are disappointed because of the lack of co-op and maps or something?

It was my GOTY AND it featured in this category - it's brilliant but it's not as brilliant as it should be.  At least, not yet.  I think the frustration is that they've got the hard bit absolutely bang on - it's the lack of features/content etc that is the problem for me.  It's still very much a bare bones package.

I remain hopeful that in 12 months time it'll be a different beast.

It didn't make my shortlist of disappointments, and I can't comment on the multiplayer, but I'm tickled at the idea that its gameplay is "the best the series has ever been" in single player. I mean, perhaps, if by "the series" you mean "the 343 industries Halo games". Otherwise, I think I may even have enjoyed Halo 2's campaign more; overly restrictive it may have been, but at least it actual had a bit of challenge to the combat, rather than Infinite's "what if the player always had access to every possible weapon and approach?" design rendering everything bar its tedious boss fights entirely trivial even at top difficulty.

It's a shame, because the combat loop remains solid, and the tools are fun, but the level design seems to have entirely focussed on empowering the player, which renders the whole thing a bit limp. Probably fine if you went in wanting to waltz through the game, but ultimately disappointing if you enjoyed overcoming the higher difficulties of earlier Halo games.

(also, in a series whose story has never mattered to me, Infinite's is so aggressively bad it did actually detract further from the campaign, which is actually kind of impressive)

I quite enjoyed it for a couple of hours once I got to the open world bit, then felt like I'd seen it all and haven't been back since. And yeah, the story/dialogue/characters make for some of the worst sci-fi I've seen in recent years - it just makes the whole thing feel dull.

7 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Yeah I feel Deathloop and Returnal were both given the brief of 'timeloop shooter' and one went safe and one went hard.

deathloop is also funny, and really in a different genre: it’s not really a shooter if you don’t want it to be.

Hmm, I imagine Returnal and Dread could take the gold and silver. Halo and Forza got a few votes too so they might show up.

Pretty sure none of the games I played are in the final list. :lol: 

Looks like only one of my top five isn't in the top ten, and that would be Life is Strange True Colors. Criminally overlooked!

Edit: Two, actually. Ratchet & Clank won't have made it in either. So the top five is going to be Returnal, Dread, Guardians, FH5, and (fucking lol) Halo.

I'm going to wait until the results to confirm whether any of my top 5 are in the list outside of Psychonauts 2, though yes, I do imagine Life is Strange hasn't made it from mine, as it didn't exactly make waves here. I'm also pretty certain I'm the only person who voted for No Longer Home (and quite possibly the only person to have played it here), so not anticipating that making a shock appearance ;)

I was hoping The Forgotten City would sneak into Best Writing or the top 10 but that was probably a bit optimistic considering it only has a two page thread on here, even if pretty much everyone in there really liked it. It's certainly the most interesting game I played last year and it was made by about 4 people, imagine what a team with an actual budget could do with the concept. Alas.

Hitman 3 and Ratchet not making top 10 is a little surprising but they probably both suffered from being more of the same really. Village shouldn't be top 10 but it's one of those games lots of people played and kind of liked so it sneaks in while not really being massively loved. It Takes Two should be even higher but was likely hamstrung by the co-op requirement.

Returnal is definitely going to be number one so I can't moan about that at least.

Much as I really enjoyed The Forgotten City, it didn't really trouble the top writing spots for me — it's a very enjoyable exploration of a time loop adventure, and very impressive for so tiny a team, but while I really respect the way it weaves together its actions and reactions (and keeps things player-friendly throughout), I did think the writing itself was pretty prosaic. Not bad by any means, but in a year which featured Adios's fantastic dialogue, Unpacking's delightful wordless storytelling and (the admittedly disallowed) Wildermyth's wonderful procedural storytelling — all from teams of equivalent or even smaller scale — it had a lot to compete with, even without looking beyond the indie sphere!

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Surprised guardians of the galaxy didn’t make it 10-6. Surely no one was bonkers enough to put it in top 5.

It could well make the top 3. You may be surprised at how many put it as the overall GotY. It was my GotY. :)

I'm just hoping the forum will rightly rank Guilty Gear Strive in the top 5 so that we can finally properly shame Edge magazine for pretending the best fighting game in years doesn't exist.

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Surprised guardians of the galaxy didn’t make it 10-6. Surely no one was bonkers enough to put it in top 5.

I loved it like. Even though the gameplay wasn't great, it was nice to just saunter through the world. Some great Art Direction! 

34 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I loved it like. Even though the gameplay wasn't great, it was nice to just saunter through the world. Some great Art Direction! 

I enjoyed the first half a lot but by the time the second half came along I would have happily skipped the gameplay sections - below average shooting with cool down power ups - and watched it as a film. I think the bit where I really turned off was when you had to search for 

Spoiler

The Russian dog

on knowwhere and it didn’t let you dash or boost but instead made you walk slowly down corridors. When games take control off of you like that it really grinds my gears. I also wanted to drop kick Rocket into the nearest volcano. I get he’s supposed to be like that but his endless negativity really wore me down. Having to repeat the same interactive cut scene too 

Spoiler

Peter’s house, the birthday for blue lady

Also, an enemy you fight is literally a square cube of jelly. I mean, come on. Did they run out of time there?

It looked good, clearly a game made for the last gen with narrow gaps to squeeze through to hide loading, though. 

In many ways it was the inverse of Halo Infinite. Huge amounts of world building, characters and things to seek out investigate but really dull gameplay.

(Though I confess to quite liking Infinite’s story, as limited as it was. I get why people would disagree, though)

@Strafe I can understand why you weren't a fan like! It is not for everyone. Anyone looking for any sort of gameplay challenge is gonna struggle. For me with games like this, I just lower the difficulty to the easiest setting, and just hammer through for the story. Had a great time. 

I also was inspired by the ambition in terms of story telling and character development. I feel like if it gets a sequel, it will be something far greater. I said months ago, I hope this game is the ME1 to its ME2. Take everything that's here, Characters, The Ship and Knowhere, and have more interesting combat, then dial it up to 11!

Come on Square! It deserves a sequel surely! 

Well I'm glad Death's Door scored as highly as it did - I wasn't expecting it to get into the top 5, but it's good that it's comfortably inside the top ten. I suspect if it had debuted on Game Pass then it would have been even higher.

And I really, really need to find someone to play through It Takes Two with.

• Uzi unpinned this topic