IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - THE RESULTS! Now playing: Game of the Year 2021 - #5 thru #1! A new champion is crowned!

Treble

Oof, Switch outside the top three? I almost went with my joke vote of "I'll vote Switch even though I don't own one because it wins every year" too. (And of course the end of my Switch Pro bit on the first page is less effective now...)

Then again there has been more attention drawn to the "newer" new-gen machines now that more people can actually get hold of them. I'm sure normal service will be resumed once BotW2 arrives.

15 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Oof, Switch outside the top three? I almost went with my joke vote of "I'll vote Switch even though I don't own one because it wins every year" too.

Then again there has been more attention drawn to the "newer" new-gen machines now that more people can actually get hold of them.

Dude, the Switch had nothing of note in 2021, and a fancy OLED screen isn't going to hide the fact that the tech behind said screen is now two generations behind the latest consoles.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Dude, the Switch had nothing of note in 2021, and a fancy OLED screen isn't going to hide the fact that the tech behind said screen is now two generations behind the latest consoles.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think it’s more likely most of us aren’t commuting anymore so it hasn’t racked up the hours like the home formats have.

It’s had some cracking games released and all the usual indie darlings. 

Little from column A, little from column B, plus Game Pass is no doubt eating some of Nintendo's indie darling lunch. 

Switch shows up in several other categories, for good or ill. Stay tuned to find out which... 

I love my Switch but I haven't touched it for the best part of 5 months since I opened my Series X. Part of that is the lack of new Switch games but I prefer to look at it with a positive POV which is that Game Pass + Series X + new OLED TV = an insane amount of fun, variety and value. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That ‘nothing of note’ will probably be in the top three games of the year :)

Apart from Metroid Dread I barely touched my Switch this year apart from to play a few hours of one of the worst Nintendo games I've ever played (Mario Golf).

Aside from that they had what? Pokémon remake, Skyward Sword remaster, 3D World port, Wario Ware? It was far from a memorable year for the platform.

5 minutes ago, Majora said:

Apart from Metroid Dread I barely touched my Switch this year apart from to play a few hours of one of the worst Nintendo games I've ever played (Mario Golf).

Apart from that they had what? Pokémon remake, Skyward Sword remaster, Wario Ware? It was far from a memorable year for the platform.

It wasn’t a vintage year for Switch but considering we didn’t even know about Dread until what, June, I was pretty delighted with that, and I loved Bowser’s Fury, so those two alone made it ok with me, and Skyward Sword is an excellent remaster, one of the best. Let’s not forget Shin Megami Tensei either. 

They needed another big release though that wasn’t Pokemon, and Advance Wars slipping was unfortunate. 

I mean, it did host the game of the year (Shin Megami Tensei V, obviously), but yeah, the Switch offered me a pretty lean year otherwise.

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Hmm, I mean I’ve not been checking that closely but it seemed to pick up quite a few votes. 

I reckon the the top three will consist of Returnal, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Forza Horizon 5.

edit: Or maybe Halo Infinite will sneak in there.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I really thought Switch would be #1 and both next-gens would be bringing up the rear.

You've changed, rllmuk.

There’s been a clear sway towards Xbox since the new gen started, no doubt bolstered by Game Pass but also I guess because you could actually buy a Series S without too much hassle, and basically because it is the best console from a design standpoint, it’s pretty awesome. 

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This Guardians of The Galaxy is getting lots of praise, I need to play it I think. 

I honestly wonder if it's going to pip Returnal for GOTY, I reckon it's close.

I'm always massively unimpressed when someone says 'called it'. Like, I'm supposed to be impressed that of one of the millions of things that people say turns out to be right. 

With this in mind, I definitely posted on here once or twice that I thought Guardians of the Galaxy would turn out good and have been strutting round smug as fuck since release. 

6 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Who won Best Use Of That Blue Oyster Cult Song in 2021 out of Guardians and Returnal?

Returnal uses it in a far more interesting manner, as it's actually weaved into its narrative 

Spoiler

and builds up to a fantastic boss fight.

• Uzi unpinned this topic