IGNORED

Mario Kart 9 - coming 2024

Gotters

It's weird how Mario Kart is actively terrible now and no one seems to notice it, one of the great mysteries of the world. It's beyond saving in its current guise. Nintendo could maybe include a track editor but it'd have to be pretty flexible so it wouldn't be fixed to the standard awfulness for it to work, can't see it. Save your excitement, people, there will be no 'twist', it'll be more materialistic stuff. After the two characters to kart idea changed nothing they gave up, with reason. The biggest creative void in the arcade racing genre is an adventure mode which has no one seems bothered to try.

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

It's weird how Mario Kart is actively terrible now and no one seems to notice it, one of the great mysteries of the world. 

Maybe it’s more passively terrible than actively terrible then, that’s probably why it’s sold 30 million copies. I mean, if it was actively terrible that might put people off purchasing it. It’s worth considering. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Super Smash Kart, the reinvention of Mario kart, to be all Nintendo and friends franchises and all Nintendo and friends courses. 

They'll never give up the name Mario Kart even if they do this. It's far too strong a brand even outside of gamers. 

Agree they should adopt the Smash approach though. Get rid of most of the shitty Z-List mario characters and set the tracks in iconic locations instead of inventing rubbish like Toad's Birth Control Clinic or Waluigi's Gardening Centre.

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Mario Kart Tour Deluxe, because, secretly, Mario Kart Tour is really really good.

Mario Kart Tour persistent challenge, single player mode and progression, frenzies and individualised powerups, and most importantly - combos and scoring.

Yeah it should definitely adopt some of the Mario Kart Tour stuff, especially the item/trick/drift combo challenges, as long as the random elements on the perks and powerups are removed. The variety of weird costumes would be great as well, especially if they do decide to stick with characters from Mario games rather than a wider selection of Nintendo characters.

Standard Mario Kart single player (outside of Time Trials) is pretty tedious. Even the DS game's Challenges were pretty dreadful, and they're the best alternative to the stardard GP races there's been.

Gonna be hard to top Mario Kart 8 Deluxe though, and it's still selling so well that I'm surprised they haven't just chucked some additional DLC out for that to tide folk over until some eventual Switch 2/Mario Kart 9.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

You’ve said this for years, and it is never not nonsense.

It's one of the few things I'm correct about. Every time I play it (because unbelievably I have) nothing changes. It's not even aesthetic preference, it literally doesn't work. I keep bringing it up because I'm always so in awe of the apparent love for it and I always feel the criticisms are so obvious. Especially as they've taken its anti gaming to such a degree where, well every track promises so much but then fails to do anything, almost as if corners and lengthy laps are too dangerous for casuals. 

I was thinking the other day, the issue of developers like Nintendo being gatekeepers, we all rely on creatives to feed us, and games are the worst medium for it because the technical challenge for anyone to try it themselves (unlike writing, making music or directing a film) is so vast, and unlike those mediums that cover all genres, tones, that show all sides of culture and life, games don't. The only time you get raw glimpses inside peoples minds as I've said before is with user created content. Current Mario Kart represents a pretty illusion apparently no one can see beyond. The way we consume content as consumers, 'interesting' doesn't factor in as a thing.

The problem is no one really cares about the genre, it's just been left stagnant. All the rpg elements explored in depth for decades have never been applied to arcade racing and its tired cup format being how it delivers its tracks. The prettiness is important to keep going on about because there's been no re analysis of what the genre is, the extra power has just been used to build more objects so you just end up with this horrible excess of stuff. It is really really pretty. 

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Maybe it’s more passively terrible than actively terrible then, that’s probably why it’s sold 30 million copies. I mean, if it was actively terrible that might put people off purchasing it. It’s worth considering. 

My point would be it has pursued its excess and I consider it terrible, no one else thinks it's terrible. People would say it's actively brilliant. 

Nintendo know what they're doing, it's taken a number of games for Mario Kart to reach this state. It is absolutely refined and very pretty, there is logic to the acclaim. If you overlook how horrible it is to play.

15 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

It's not even aesthetic preference,

hmm, I'm going to test that.

which Toad Harbour looks better to you, the first or second ?

2117181120_ToadHarbour-2.jpg.75f374fcd4c087ccc4afb6969d4d1fcf.jpg

1045069997_ToadHarbour.jpg.1fbfe55f76f65589b7fcff71107fd7ea.jpg

15 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

My point would be it has pursued its excess and I consider it terrible, no one else thinks it's terrible. People would say it's actively brilliant. 

Nintendo know what they're doing, it's taken a number of games for Mario Kart to reach this state. It is absolutely refined and very pretty, there is logic to the acclaim. If you overlook how horrible it is to play.

Yeah, I actively enjoy it, I think. 

22 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

The problem is no one really cares about the genre, it's just been left stagnant. All the rpg elements explored in depth for decades have never been applied to arcade racing and its tired cup format being how it delivers its tracks. The prettiness is important to keep going on about because there's been no re analysis of what the genre is, the extra power has just been used to build more objects so you just end up with this horrible excess of stuff. It is really really pretty. 

mario kart tour does rpg. There’s no way you can nonstop combo your way through courses without 1. An rng cart 2. Levelling up

(also since we are here, please please please two more people add me so I can get a challenge done 385883037886)

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, I actively enjoy it, I think. 

Yes I'm quite sure people literally enjoy it, but there is never any possibility it doesn't represent the peak of the genre and there's a completely different approach that can be done. 

2 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Yes I'm quite sure people literally enjoy it, but there is never any possibility it doesn't represent the peak of the genre and there's a completely different approach that can be done. 

I mean sometimes I enjoy it figuratively also, but that’s mainly when I’m only playing it passively. 

21 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Ok, I'll bite. Like what?