IGNORED

Your arcade memories.

dumpster

Lethal Enforcers was a staple when my mates and I would play Quasar at the Super Bowl on Newport Road, Cardiff. On a Monday night it was unlimited games for a fiver so as kids of about 13 it meant we’d still have money left to buy terrible food and play great arcade games.

The game selection there wasn’t huge but it changed regularly. As well as spending a lot of time on Lethal Enforcers, we were big fans of Rad Mobile (I felt smug when I first saw Sonic in a mag and could point out we’d seen him before), SFII and 4-player Simpsons.

No arcades near me growing up - all the places with AMUSEMENTS signs were 18+ gambling places, so I have no idea if they had any games machines inside. :(

So apart from the very occasional play on a coin-op at a cinema or bowling alley (plus one trip to SegaWorld in the Trocadero in early 1999) my arcade gaming was restricted to holidays in seaside towns. The caravan park we used to go to most years near Barmouth in Wales had Marvel Super Heroes, Sega Rally and some other things - last time I went (in 2008) it had Outrun 2! One arcade in Barmouth itself had Star Wars Trilogy Arcade and F355 Challenge.

• 1 month later...

I didn't think this was worth starting a new thread for, so this seems like as good a place to dump it as any 😛

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-8.jpeg.19495eec0b1cf8ef82cbc4ce333f07b7.jpeg

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-12.jpeg.9da49f05d664bfa34d05d19f3a0e1745.jpeg

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-10.jpeg.1aa9c53a8b8b3e42458597f7f6ea4111.jpeg

As for my own memories: I have vague memories or arcade machines like Pac-Land but never played on any because I didn't have the money and was never one to beg my parents to go on things (although in hindsight maybe I should have been 😛). I seemed to be more interested in watching my dad play fruit machines, which probably helped influence my gambling habit now. 😑

I do remember playing Chase HQ on a ferry to France that someone had left some credits in though. 

Even in the 90s when I had money I saw better "value" in playing fruities (as I could get something back) but I would occasionally play on stuff like Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead and Sega Rally (especially if I could find some money in machines or on the ground). 

I remember a friend and I having a day in an arcade at Gravesend in the late 80s. We’d have been about 10, and spent most of our cash on Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja.

spacer.png

We were pretty disappointed to be hauled home by our mums at the end of the day, with the game still unfinished. “Don’t worry!”, I said, “I’ve got this game on my computer at home.”

I had a Speccy.

spacer.png

Crazy to think that for less than I paid for that Spectrum version I can now have an arcade-perfect version in my pocket on the Switch. I don’t, obviously; Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja is shit.

1 hour ago, robotattack said:

I didn't think this was worth starting a new thread for, so this seems like as good a place to dump it as any 😛

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-8.jpeg.19495eec0b1cf8ef82cbc4ce333f07b7.jpeg

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-12.jpeg.9da49f05d664bfa34d05d19f3a0e1745.jpeg

Herne-Bay-Arcade-1980s-George-Wilson-10.jpeg.1aa9c53a8b8b3e42458597f7f6ea4111.jpeg

As for my own memories: I have vague memories or arcade machines like Pac-Land but never played on any because I didn't have the money and was never one to beg my parents to go on things (although in hindsight maybe I should have been 😛). I seemed to be more interested in watching my dad play fruit machines, which probably helped influence my gambling habit now. 😑

I do remember playing Chase HQ on a ferry to France that someone had left some credits in though. 

Even in the 90s when I had money I saw better "value" in playing fruities (as I could get something back) but I would occasionally play on stuff like Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead and Sega Rally (especially if I could find some money in machines or on the ground). 

Man, my teenage years, right there. That line-up of Asteroids, Defender and Battlezone. Just hanging out by the cabs, watching the play.

Plus the Hillbilly Moonshine rifle range - you'd find those in weird locations, like service stations...

52 minutes ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I remember a friend and I having a day in an arcade at Gravesend in the late 80s. We’d have been about 10, and spent most of our cash on Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja.

spacer.png

We were pretty disappointed to be hauled home by our mums at the end of the day, with the game still unfinished. “Don’t worry!”, I said, “I’ve got this game on my computer at home.”

I had a Speccy.

spacer.png

Crazy to think that for less than I paid for that Spectrum version I can now have an arcade-perfect version in my pocket on the Switch. I don’t, obviously; Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja is shit.

Bad Dudes is probably up there as my number one “How is it so bad now!?” I loved that game as a kid, but you’re right it’s an utter turd. 

12 hours ago, Sumire said:

I have fond memories of playing arcade machines on the Ferry over to France.

Same here!  Great memories of Atomic Robo-Kid and Thunder Blade, during a France-bound ferry on a school trip.

12 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

spacer.png

I had a Speccy.

spacer.png

Same but C64 and I thought both versions were amazing, I haven't gone back to it so I'm keeping those fond memories. I'm concerned the same would happen with Crudebuster / Two Crude Dudes (maybe it's a Dudes thing or a Data East thing?) :D

16 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

spacer.png

I had a Speccy.

spacer.png

Best twist ending of any post on Rllmuk ever.  M. Night Shymalan would be proud.

3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Family trip to Blackpool, spent the day desperately trying to find Afterburner R360. There was one in the last arcade we went in. Just phenomenal.

Similar memories of playing this in Blackpool. 

It's the most entertaining arcade cabinet ever. Nothing comes close.