IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

20 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I think you’re right, 2 points ahead of Russell?

DiResta just said Perez is 3rd but my maths out him 4th so maybe I’m wrong.

Great race for Tsunoda, Aston getting a double points finish (all teams with points this early in the season is amazing!)

Always good to see Lando on the podium, though less so at the cost of a Ferrari driver :(

Sainz really needs to find the luck, I’m certain he can take it to Perez if only he could keep it in the track!

Edit: I wasn’t counting the Sprint race points from yesterday

standings.JPG

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

I mean...  it certainly strikes me as a role that can be carried out remotely.

The stuff during the actual race maybe, as that's essentially wearing a headset and looking at a bunch of screens. 

Likewise the driver briefings could be done on Teams etc, I'm sure. 

But don't they also have to personally walk the course to inspect it before signing it off as fit to race? That might be harder to delegate as I expect there are certification issues - presumably not just any chump can grant the licences.

All that's done well before the race weekend. They have to pass an FIA safety inspection before they are even given a race. 

All the circuits are graded for safety  I'm not sure if it's every year, but it's certainly done when the circuit applies for a race. Which is why the last few years have been tricky. There are plenty of European circuits they could have gone to when covid closed international travel down, but not all had a grade 1 licence for F1. Places like Donington or Brno are loverly but are too low a grade

I don't think it's possible to do it before the race weekend on a brand new circuit that's still being built. The same thing happened in Saudi last year - it was said that part of the reason the race direction was so bad was that Masi was exhausted, and in turn one of the factors for that was the 'last minute' nature of things. 

I could be wrong about this one and maybe the Miami course has been finished and signed off already in good time. 

Edited to add: obviously the plans will have been ratified ages and ages ago. But I thought there's still an 'on the day' component to it, where the race director personally goes and looks at it at the beginning of the race meeting, to make sure that what was on the page is actually what's on the ground. 

39 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

All that's done well before the race weekend. They have to pass an FIA safety inspection before they are even given a race. 

All the circuits are graded for safety  I'm not sure if it's every year, but it's certainly done when the circuit applies for a race. Which is why the last few years have been tricky. There are plenty of European circuits they could have gone to when covid closed international travel down, but not all had a grade 1 licence for F1. Places like Donington or Brno are loverly but are too low a grade

The Wikipedia page is good for this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_racing_circuits_by_FIA_grade

This was mostly the obvious answer to all the daft questions during COVID over the internet on things like why can't we run circuits backwards, I live opposite insert random club level track here they can use that etc.

One of the most interesting points for me are how few circuits are grade 1 for multiple layouts.

I expect though, that there is 2 elements of this, and that the initial grading perhaps separate to the presumably an on the weekend track walk @jonathanhoey mentioned. 

We've heard in the past about things such as drain covers at Monaco being changed, or kerbs being trimmed down etc. which I guess comes from this track walk inspection.

I admit, I didn't know / don't know if this is indeed the procedure and am just drawing lines!

Edit: and I forgot the whole point in my post was to say that Miami is on there, but with the note
" As of 26 April 2022 [refresh], the Miami International Autodrome has not obtained any license, however the circuit will host a Formula One race from 2022; so it will have been constructed to meet Grade 1 requirements."
No source though.

Appendix O is also linked if you're really interested:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/appendix_o_2019_published_04.12.2019.pdf

I don't know that these things happen before the race, drain covers and the like usually come up after the weekend has started, then the director goes out and has a look. 

But yes, I guess there must be a track inspection by someone pre-race to make sure everything is as it should be. I would have though that was a clerk of the course job, who then tells the FIA safety representative that its ok to race.  

I know it’s the wrong attitude but I kind of want this race ‘event’ to be a bit of a lemon. A watered down fyre festival if you will. I don’t want F1 to take off in the US.

Best case scenario it’s a bit of an organisational shambles and all the influencers slam it so the vegas promoters get cold feet. 

I remember reading that Masi had about 6 jobs at the FIA, and I don’t think that track inspections came under the race director role, but one of his other ones at the time. 

I'd love if George stays this consistent and ends up WDC because the Ferraris and Red Bulls all pick up too many DNFs (reliability or contact, I don't mind). 

Won't happen but can you imagine.

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

I'd love if George stays this consistent and ends up WDC because the Ferraris and Red Bulls all pick up too many DNFs (reliability or contact, I don't mind). 

Won't happen but can you imagine.

Makes me wonder. Has anyone ever won a championship without winning a race that season? Just through consistently high places with the competition getting too many DNFs or whatever. 

Probably not though. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Makes me wonder. Has anyone ever won a championship without winning a race that season? Just through consistently high places with the competition getting too many DNFs or whatever. 

Probably not though. 

In F1, no - closest is indeed Keke Rosberg in 1982 as mentioned by RFT :)

However! In 1978 Tom Sneva won the USAC Championship (IndyCar, basically) without winning a single one of the 18 races on the schedule. His team boss Roger Penske was so impressed that he fired him :lol:

FIA are thinking about 2026 changes. They want smaller cars, reduced weight, less drag and dropping the MGU-H (something VAG want dropped if they are to enter). MGU-K will be more powerful to compensate. 

As for next year, they want to trial reducing the number of tyres at a couple of races. Also mandatory helmet cams for all drivers.