IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

21 hours ago, GwiDan said:

FFS, I completely forgot this was a sprint weekend and I’ve missed everything right up to the current red flag. What’s going on?

Have you remembered today?

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

was at hockey, what have I missed?

Reveal hidden contents

<_<

‘Zoo’ as DiResta seems to call him, turned in on Gasly about half way around lap 1, not much else

Crofty gets excited when he gets his socks out the drawer in the morning.

Such a weird feeling having Charisma Vaccuum next to him

5 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Sprint race is the suck, just 'normalised' the disruption of a weird qualy.

Less to do with the sprint than the weather, I'd say. If it had been wet today there would still be a more mixed grid, and if qualy had taken place today as normal, it would have been dry so we wouldn't have had the grid we had for the sprint.

It should be a good fight at the front tomorrow if Sainz and Perez can keep up the Red Bull can make it to the end of the race. McLaren look solid for fifth and sixth and Mercedes are going to struggle to get into the points. 

Just an observation, looks like McLaren and Red Bull have nicked Ferrari’s idea of putting clear tape over the gaps between the panelling on the car. 

Ferrari looked to have been doing it over the last couple races, didn’t notice it on either the McLaren or Red Bull in Australia, but was on both today.

When do we start talking about DRS as a problem?

The cars can now follow when should allow actual passes, though perhaps they are just too fast for the tracks nowadays.

DRS is simply allowing the faster cars to filter to the front, as you’d expect it to really, except in the past, the faster cars often got stuck as it was harder to follow and therefore to get the DRS and be close enough by the end of the straight.

The sprint race emphasises this by giving more laps, as we’ve seen today.

It’d be interesting to see the tracks listed by on track non DRS overtakes 

There has been some talk about this from the drivers and pundits who seem to think that DRS is still necessary to pass but that maybe the length of the zones could be tweaked to avoid too easy overtaking. Whilst following is easier, there is less tow.

Haven’t had much chance to talk about the F1 this weekend, but I saw an idea on Reddit that I quite like given that Sprint races are here to stay. Go back to having qualifying for the Grand Prix, but have Q1 set the grid for the sprint race. I thought that was quite an elegant solution. 

Yes, the Sky coverage if you want to avoid the preshow starts art 1.55pm.

It looks like it’ll be a wet race at the start which if it’s like Turkey last year with a single dry line means there will be barely any overtaking due to the lack of DRS.

16 hours ago, Corranga said:

When do we start talking about DRS as a problem?

The cars can now follow when should allow actual passes, though perhaps they are just too fast for the tracks nowadays.

DRS is simply allowing the faster cars to filter to the front, as you’d expect it to really, except in the past, the faster cars often got stuck as it was harder to follow and therefore to get the DRS and be close enough by the end of the straight.

The sprint race emphasises this by giving more laps, as we’ve seen today.

It’d be interesting to see the tracks listed by on track non DRS overtakes 

DRS was original introduced for just this reason. Faster cars out of position and fighting for championships were getting stuck behind slower cars for lap after laps. The problem is normally the cars are all much of a muchness, maybe a free MPH here and there but essentially the same sort is speed. So DRS was needed for any sort of overtaking. 

Now with the new rules, there is a big disparity between teams and the DRS  looks to be overkill. The redbull is an absolute missile in a straight line and but a bit twitchy compared to the ferrari. 

Banning DRS now would be OK for a season or two. Buy once the cars reach parity, we'd be back to processional races again. 

I'd keep DRS but get rid of the DRS zones. Hear me out. 

Instead of the 1-second gap, and all the shenanigans about not wanting to be first over the detection line and everything, I'd have DRS available at any time*, but on a strict reducing time limit that doesn't replenish. I don't know how long it would be - maybe 300 seconds for a full Grand Prix, 100 seconds for a sprint, something like that? Maybe more or less, I don't know. You'd just look at how much time they spend in DRS in its current iteration and work it out from there. 

I guess this would be functionally similar to what they have in Super Formula or Indy. In those series it's extra fuel flow rather than moveable aero, but the principle is still "push button to go faster". 

Allocation would be reduced proportionally for periods of slow running** - so if half the race takes place under SC for some reason, you'd lose half your allotted DRS time.

I think that, especially combined with the ERS management that they already do, it could make for some really tactical offence/defence battles, rather than just every DRS pass being a foregone conclusion. 

It would also eliminate stupid shit like car 1 getting a DRS advantage from the back of car 20. 

* Apart from the obvious, like heavy rain, safety cars, yellow flags etc

** Yes I watch Formula E

25 minutes ago, wev said:

@jonathanhoeyso, like, KERS then?

Not quite. Yes it's still push-to-pass of sorts, but surely KERS just became the ERS systems that the cars still have. 

I'm saying no limit on where you can use your DRS around the course, and no limit on how much of the lap you can deploy it for (KERS was six seconds per lap or something, wasn't it? And obviously the present implementation of DRS also has a physical limit on how much deployment you can have during a given lap, delineated by the zones). 

Anyway unlike KERS or the modern hybrid ERS, it wouldn't replenish so once you've used up all of your n seconds of DRS time for the race (whether that's attacking, defending, trying to get an FL point, whatever it is) then it's gone and if that leaves you vulnerable to other cars that have more left, then so be it.